Customer Discussions > Divergent forum

Cautious Teenager Needs Help

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 2, 2011 8:28:12 PM PDT
Escape2Books says:
I am 14 years old, and I am a very methodical reader and researcher. Before I read most books I check reviews for plot substance, sexual content, and language. I have read a lot of reviews about "Divergent", and it looks really good. I can handle kissing and brief mild language, but most reviews are not really clear.

In only one review someone briefly mentioned conversations on Trill's free time...is it appropriate? Is there anything I should know before going into this book?

For the people who do not like to spoil books: I am fine with spoilers, in fact it makes me want to read it even more. So do be hesitant to tell me what is in this book.

Posted on Jun 4, 2011 11:02:15 PM PDT
Alicia Megee says:
There is some breif make out sessions and a scene that eludes that they probably had sex but nothing graphic at all. This book is very violent though. A lot of fighting, blood, and bullets.

Posted on Jun 7, 2011 7:15:40 PM PDT
This book doesn't have any foul language (that I can think of), and though there is some making out, I thought it was all done in a tasteful way... and no offense Alicia, but I really don't think the two characters had sex in the scene you're referring to, unless you are thinking of a different scene that I am, but all the book says is, "We spent the two hours lying on his bed, talking and kissing and eventually dozing until we heard..." And just before this scene both characters discussed how neither of them were ready to have sex yet...

Anyway, this is not a book I would caution someone away from based on sexual content, but if you have a problem with blood and violence you may want to be careful. There is some violence in this book... but I think it is well worth it! I loved this story so much I started re-reading it the day that I finished it.

I hope this helps you Carolyn

Posted on Jun 7, 2011 7:57:43 PM PDT
Escape2Books says:
@ Loves to Read and Alicia Meggee, Thank you for replying!! I can take blood and violence, it was just the sexual content I was worried about. This makes me feel a lot better, and I plan on reading Divergent.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2011 8:00:28 PM PDT
I am so glad Carolyn! I think you will really like it! At least I hope that you do!!

Posted on Jun 8, 2011 3:19:22 PM PDT
Kassiah Faul says:
I agree with you, Loves to Read. I am pretty sure that they did NOT have sex.

Carolyn, this book is amazing and I'm so glad that you are going to read!

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 9:40:33 PM PDT
Interesting that blood and violence is acceptable but sex isn't...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2011 4:43:48 PM PDT
Marco S. says:
Ya seriously. What the hell is wrong with Americans? Violence and blood is ok but sex isn't? What a society!

Posted on Aug 4, 2011 1:48:00 PM PDT
Julianna says:
I am 14 too and I read Divergent, it's great! I'm glad you are going to read it. After you finish that, I figured you might want to have some other suggestion...

Gone
Nightshade: Book 1
Strange Angels
Hourglass
The Forbidden Game
City of Bones (Mortal Instruments)
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls)
Heist Society
Hex Hall Book One
Need

Hope this helps, I know what it is like to be frustrated because you have nothing to read. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 1:14:08 PM PDT
mmmw says:
There is no sex in divergent, bloody fight scenes are graphic,and a suicide.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 11:35:38 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 28, 2013 11:36:55 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2013 12:06:22 PM PDT
Free time: the wildest thing she does is buy "suggestive" clothes and get tattoos. Some of the tattoos actually honor her family.

As with Hunger Games, no profanity, but there is some off-color talk.

Sex -- one intense but vague "make-out' session. Main character is spied on by Peeping Toms at one point, but oddly another girl egged the boys into doing it. One girl-talk session, only about kissing and nothing more.

The big warnings should be about violence. Several occasions where a character beats up another character under pretense of "self-defense training". Full-out battle at the end.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2013 5:39:07 AM PDT
cindyk270 says:
You may also enjoy Eternal Knight by Matt Heppe

Posted on Apr 9, 2014 1:58:25 AM PDT
The Divergent book, after reading its summary makes me think of Hunger Games. The similarities go on and on, but so is the difference which range and depends from their society. One similarity is their dystopia society, or the opposite of utopia. The divergent book is more on mental philosophy and humanitarian policy in its own calibre of thinking.

One thing I can say about Divergent is its own unique way of pulling its reader in thinking of "what if's" in our own society. After all, dystopia society is a genre grounded to reality than fantasy or paranormal. The story gives you the leverage in how people think, decide and act. The story has a dark theme like any other 'struggle in life to survive' but much more meaning. The deep meaning of the characters words or saying will give you a distinct meaning when it comes to true loyalty which associates with love, hate and together with guilt, and Divergent is all about it.

Do not worry about kissing or anything, it is only mild and comes of as sweet intimacy and pure longing, if I say so myself.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Divergent forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Jun 2, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 9, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Divergent
Divergent by Veronica Roth (Hardcover - May 3, 2011)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (18,952)