5.0 out of 5 stars What do you know, 3D graphics didn't ruin the masterpiece after all!
[This review is largely focused on this new remake and the changes it brings. Details on the gameplay and plot are at a minimum. In my opinion, the less you know about Cave Story before you play it, the better.]

Cave Story is, hands down, my most loved game. The story, the gameplay, the music, the art--it all comes together to create a beautiful whole that is...
Published on November 12, 2011 by Tyler Wise

2.0 out of 5 stars Way overpriced
This game is awesome but it REALLY should have had the original bundled in with it for the price. There is a 3D rendition of the original on the eShop - I would MUCH more recommend purchasing that one for only $10.
Published on November 21, 2012 by Adam

3.0 out of 5 stars A good game, just ridiculously overpriced!, December 11, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Cave Story 3D - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
This is basically a remake of the original Cave Story, which was a freeware download created in 2004. The game shares much in common with classic side scrolling action adventure titles. The most notable comparison is to Metroid, but there are other similarities to more obscure games (mostly NES titles) such as Zexyz and even Bionic Commando and Kid Icarus (the punishing difficulty of course). It also reminds me a bit of Out of this World (big kudos to those who remember that title!)

There are three difficulty settings. Even those unfamiliar with Cave Story could enjoy the Normal setting. If you are used to side scrolling games that is.

There are a few other little quirks with this game. It takes awhile to get used to the jumping system. Luckily there are frequent save points. If you die, you continue at the last save point. You can also go back to previous areas, so it's not a one way adventure, though often you will be unable to backtrack for a bit in some areas.

The 3d doesn't ruin the game, but it doesn't add too much either. Since it's a side scroller, it does add some depth, but your sprite doesn't interact with the depth of the map, just the four general directions (up down left right). So that really cool path the leads towards the screen (and seems to come right towards you) isn't accessible. Sorry.

Here is my issue: I have a 3ds, and I love the game. But a 3d port of a freeware game should not retail for $40. This title should have hit at $29.99 release price then dropped to $19.99 or even $14.99. If you look, there are several 3ds remakes retailing for under $20 at the time of writing (Shinobi, Resident Evil, Lego Star Wars 3, Super Street Fighter IV, and many more).

Save your big ticket purchases for Mario Kart 7 (amazing) and even the remake of Zelda Ocarina 3d (I know... $39 is tough to swallow for this remake - but in this case it's worth it for arguably the best game ever made). Unless you are a super fan, this isn't worth the price. Great if you can find it at your local library (seriously, we have the best libraries here in Portland - 3ds games galore!). Rent it. Or just play the freeware version which can still be found online.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent plunge into the Metroidvania genre with a cool sci-fi-like theme., June 6, 2014
This review is from: Cave Story 3D - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
I am really enjoying this game because I love the exploration aspect of Metroidvania games, along with the uniqueness of setting the game up as a 2D sidescroller. The thing I loved the most was the fact that it really does feel like one of the newer Castlevania games on ds or the older Metroid games and that's a great thing. The thing that I felt really set this game apart was it's nice story and it's quirky dialogue/characters. This really gave the game an Earthbound feel. The story was nice because Metroid and Castlevania don't always go that in depth when it comes to the story, especially Metroid. So this nice story and this great gameplay, with the nice 3D graphics, led me to give this game a perfect 5 stars. My only issue was that the difficulty was quite high for me at certain points and I got stuck a lot. This game could have benefited from a map system of some kind, like in Super Metroid. Other than that, this is an excellent game and if you see it, snag it because now it is worth at least $65 used/complete. I got lucky because I got mine in a game store today for $16 complete with the holographic slip cover. However that won't happeb often so be sure to get this game before it becomes another Earthbound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, December 26, 2013
This review is from: Cave Story 3D - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
I always loved Cave Story and this new addition makes it seem even more life-like. also i like the classic mode if you are felling more like playing a classic game of cave story. also the multiple endings are my favorite part of it. overall i think this is a great Classic great for all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2D sidescroller and compelling story make this a buy!, December 4, 2013
This review is from: Cave Story 3D - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
Game is awesome. Hard to justify the high price point, but if you can find this for $30 or under it is a solid buy. Classic game, the 3D is kind of whatever for me, but the gameplay is solid gold and this one will be a collectors item when enough time passes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expanded 3D version of the original Cave Story., July 8, 2013
This review is from: Cave Story 3D - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
Cleared it on easy mode, playing the complete story. It can be played in hard, medium and easy mode. The hard mode is REALLY hard, you can't ever be hit.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of both..., June 25, 2013
This review is from: Cave Story 3D - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
The game plays like a retro action game with the great graphics of the present. The 3DS is harnessed fully to make this game awesome. I am amazed by another feature. The game files can be played with retro graphics from the Nintendo eshop version and then played from the cartridge is what looks like HD. Pricey but really well made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, June 12, 2013
This review is from: Cave Story 3D - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
I have almost completed the game at this point, and I have enjoyed every second of it! The platforming is supurb, the 3D is great, and overall is an amazing experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shows why the industry needs a strong indie scene, but..., June 9, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Cave Story 3D - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
Cave Story is a game I ran across while watching a series of videos on YouTube covering indie games. Over the last year and a half I've become fond of somecallmejohnny's reviews and the games they've lead me to play. Cave's Story's initial appeal was pretty much summed up to me in how it was compared to the older, side scrolling Metroid titles. In being a huge fan of Metroid series (my favorite Nintendo franchise) this obviously caught my attention, but I didn't immediately buy into the premise. However, while the video focused on the downloadable versions of the game the 3DS version was mentioned briefly before the end.

Not long after I watched Johnny's video I ran across a copy of Cave Story 3D at a local game store. I thought it was pretty cool running into a copy but as I had already spent more than enough money on video games that day I passed on it. A few days later while on my computer I saw an ad from amazon that displayed the new and used prices for the game. Needless to say I was a little stunned... thirty to thirty five dollars for a used copy of a non-recent game - and nearly sixty new - really caught me off guard, especially when the copy I saw was only twenty-two. So like any bargain hunting gamer I made it a priority to get back to that store and nab the game before it was purchased by someone else. Luck was on my side as it was still there but nothing could prepare me for the lesson Cave Story will soon instill in me.

Originally released for the PC after five years in development, Cave Story takes most of its inspiration from the games of yesteryear. Long before stupid phrases like AAA gaming started coming out of the mouths of gamers and developers games where much simpler and, in a nut shell, Cave Story is a celebration of that. Again, the obvious comparison people make here is old-school Metroid, but the game takes several liberties with the formula. One such difference is Cave Story is much more linear than Metroid yet this this isn't the one that really matters. The main way Cave Story differentiates itself from the era it reflects upon is actually referenced in the title. Unlike the games of yesteryear, there is much more dialog present here. The story doesn't ever reach epic proportions and it's not infallible but it's a lot more than what comparable games have to offer. At the center of this story is Mr. Adventurer (the manual's placer holder name for the game's protagonist) and Curly. It's not hard to form affection for these characters but the game's success in this area also presents the player with its main failure. Like similar games Cave Story opts for the "silent protagonist" theme that is often seen in many role-playing games. Now this isn't to say this scheme can't work in a game, but with the game having so much dialog it just feels unnatural for Mr. Adventurer to have no lines. Because of this the main character never becomes anything more than a nameless avatar even though he does have a name. This is a real shame as given some more development the character could be even more likable. I know some will consider this nitpicking but after giving this some real thought this is the only thing that really holds Cave Story back from being one of my favorite games.

This isn't to say there aren't other problems for the game to overcome but they all seem like child's play compared to the above situation. The small fetch quests can become slightly annoying, sometimes the camera fails to keep up with the action when underwater jet streams are involved and the game isn't too clear at informing the player which hazards are lethal but again every other qualm I have is simply squashed by what is done right.

Still, as much as I like Cave Story 3D there is the fact that I feel it is a somewhat misleading product and that people really misrepresent it. As the name implies the game has gone from being sprite based to being fully polygonal (outside the characters) while still playing out on two dimensional plane like the original. The thing is while the graphical update is good looking for the most part, it's not really necessary. Cave Story is the game it is because of its gameplay which means the previous versions of the game are not made obsolete by this version. If you're hesitant to put the money down for this game (and I don't blame you considering the cost) give the PC original or the Nintendo DLable versions a try. The second thing about the game's graphical appearance is - contrary to what I've read in countless reviews - I don't think the 3D provided by the 3DS screens is put to good use here. The 3D is used at odd intervals and is not consistent throughout. Granted I'm probably spoiled from the 3D in games that had much more financial backing but to see so many people talk about it only to have it appear to the level it does within doesn't really justify its use. The last thing that is somewhat troubling about Cave Story 3D is the fact that the manual seems to have been completed prior to the game itself. The manual makes reference to several options that are just not in the game itself. On top of that is the lack of explanation of the modes of play that do exist. I still do not know what the difference between story mode and classic mode is to this day.

Problems aside I can safely say I'm glad I picked Cave Story 3D up. While it mainly serves as a reminder of a simpler time to dismiss it because of that is just the most unfortunate thing you can do. The game has definitely acted as a ad-hock introduction to the indie development scene to me and I look forward to looking into some more of these games that fill the small voids left behind by the big guns on the block. It is somewhat of a shame the game loses out because it takes some of the old-school practices to heart but thankfully none of those are the elements that relate to its gameplay.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, February 28, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Cave Story 3D - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
good little game, fun to play. little strategy 2d platform game. never played original, but do really enjoy this one. have had to use guides at one point or two. got a little tricky. 3d graphics are pretty good. as good as u can get for a 3d 2d platform game.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's only prettier than the Wii version, and has less content, January 23, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Cave Story 3D - Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
Cave Story will always be a good game, a game worth buying in one form if you don't already have it. I would posit that many 3DS owners probably also have either a Wii or a DS, and the Wiiware version is the one I'm going to recommend. Supports the comfortable Classic Controllers which are much easier on your hands than either of the DS versions, and has the largest resolution and clearest graphics for a game with some fast moving tiny projectiles. You will be able to learn faster and perform better on the Wii version, which also includes a Boss Rush mode that is extremely cool and fun. This feature is NOTICABLY ABSENT from the 3DS version, which dissapointed me greatly. The 3D Graphics are good, and this version actually has some expanded level layouts (I won't tell you where) that increase the game length. Personally though, I'll always prefer the clean 2D look of the Wii Version on my big screen, it makes the game so much easier to play.

Cave Story 3D - Nintendo 3DS
Cave Story 3D - Nintendo 3DS by NIS America (Nintendo 3DS)
Used & New from: $22.94