4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Practice Cello For The Price
This review is for a Cecilio CECO-2LW Electric Cello.

I purchased this electric cello two months ago, although not from this vendor. I needed a practice cello that I could bring to work and practice (silently) during my breaks.

Published on June 17, 2011 by D. Roberts

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor representation of an E-'cello.
Published 12 months ago by sflow15

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Practice Cello For The Price, June 17, 2011
This review is for a Cecilio CECO-2LW Electric Cello.

I was concerned about paying around 300 dollars for something of unknown quality, especially since I could not find any reviews. I was pleasently surprised with this cello. I would recommend checking Amazon's price against online auction sites to see who offers it cheaper.

The cello comes in a large cardboard box. Once un-boxed, the bridge needs to be placed in it's slot (no-brainer compared to acoustic cellos) and the strings tensioned/brought up to tune. If you have ever replaced your own guitar strings, you should be able to do this yourself. If you are unfamiliar with stringed instruments, you might want to take it to a luthier to do this.

After a couple months of playing this cello, here are my impressions:

PROS:

The body construction of the cello is of better quality than I was expecting. The action (height of strings above fingerboard) and playablility are excellent... This was the most important feature for me, and I am really happy about it.

The cello comes with cables to connect to your guitar amp.

Tuning pegs hold their grip and did not require "peg drops" or adjustment. Tuning with the pegs or fine-tuners is uncomplicated.

Soft case does the job, although it is not very thickly padded. It includes some handy pockets.

CONS:

The strings are of moderately-low quality. The A string is especially squeaky. I will replace mine.

The 4 fine-tuners are of cheap construction, but they are functional. If you plan to replace a string, the arms of the fine-tuners will need to be pried open a tad to release the original string.

The bow is what you would expect for this price point... A little bouncy, but acceptable.

+++++++++++++++++

I am glad that I decided to purchase this electric cello and would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cecilio 4/4 CECO-2DW Red Mahogany Metallic finish, September 20, 2012
I purchased the Cecilio 4/4 CECO-2DW Red Mahogany Metallic finish cello about 2 months ago. The instrument was packaged well enough to survive being on the bottom of the UPS load. Carton was damaged but the instrument was fine. Fit and finish are very good. Looks good with a shiny smooth finish.

Assembly was easy and fast. There was a little difficulty in getting the bridge in correct position as string tightening moved it a bit. There should be note stating bridge rear face should be at a 90 degree angle to top of cello with strings tightened..

I've played the cello with the original strings and bow for about 2 month. I bought a set of D'Adarrio strings as recommended by another buyer. The original strings were difficult to get a consistent pure tone, especially on the C string. The new D'Adarrio strings are much smoother to the touch and sound much better. I have also ordered a new top braided fiberglas bow. The original bow is satisfactory, but I'd like to try a better one.

I had great response from Celilio when I had questions and/or needed a replacement bridge. The original bridge developed a chip at the G string notch. A new one was sent immediately without charge. Thank you.

When I replaced the strings, I found the D'Adarrio C string to be much thicker than the original. Talked with tech service at Cecilio and was advised to spread the fine tuner fork to fit, which I did easily.

There is a small problem with the fine tuner mounting nuts loosening. Retighening the mounting nuts only worked for a few days. I solved the problem with a drop of Loctite 222 on the mounting threads.

I have not connected the cello to an amp or to the church sound system yet. I'm happy with the volume from good quality ear buds. I expect the output volume/tone to be fine for the church sound system.

I played acoustic cello 50 years ago and am now restarting again. I found this cello to be a great way to begin again inexpensively.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Price!, October 21, 2011
I don't regret buying this at all. The price makes it totally worth it. I've had it for a few weeks now and it's working great! The strings that came with it are junk. I replaced them. But really no big deal. And I haven't even tried to use the bow or the headphones that come with it.
I have it plugged into a cheapo amp, and it's sweet. I'm sure it would be Awesome with a good amp.
It's also good to practice with unplugged when people are around trying to do things. I have a lot of siblings in school so they get mad when I play my acoustic when they're trying to do homework or watch a movie or sleep, so it's nice to have around. It's loud enough for you to hear it but not enough to disturb others. I bought it so I could practice anytime I want.
I haven't played any of the more expensive electric cellos but I was impressed with this one. I was expecting less for what I paid.
It's not perfect. Still a little cheap. But definitely worth it! I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cello for the price, June 12, 2013
I have never played the cello but I've always wanted to learn so I looked into different cellos. I decided on getting an electric cello because I am a guitarist and have effects pedals for my guitars and thought it would be fun to plug a cello through them. I am more than satisfied with the cello itself. Everything that comes with the cello is really low quality but I wasn't surprised at all since I was paying $350 for a cello! I would highly recommend this to anybody. I read a review on another style of this cello that I found to be very helpful, so I am copying and pasting it here.

"Hello everyone! I will start by saying I am a classically trained cellist and have been playing for 11 years now. About 2 years ago, I started dabbling into the world of amplifying a cello and using effects. When I started this journey, I used a Fishman C-100 cello pickup on my acoustic instrument. (I would strongly recommend this pickup for anyone wanting to keep the acoustic instrument for use of amplification. Be sure to buy an acoustic preamp like an L.R. Baggs.)

For all you beginners, I must stress that you invest in an acoustic cello. This cello is not the type to learn on or anything like that. I can see how the silent and cheap aspect is appealing, but this instrument truly shines as one meant for amplification and effects.

Now, onto my review.

I received the cello in the mail just as any other package I have received from Amazon. It comes in a fairly large box, was much lighter than expected, and was well packaged for delivery. Do not worry about having this instrument shipped to you.

Upon opening the box, I pulled out the plastic bag that contained a basic set of headphones, the 9V battery necessary to power the instrument, and a 1/8" to 1/4" (male to male) adapter. All good so far.

Next was the gig bag with cello. The bag is your basic soft case that a beginning cellist would have received with his/her student acoustic cello. Not great, but not bad at all. Probably not going to find a hard case for this cello. So I pulled out the bow, and it's, as expected, a basic student bow. The wight was surprising light, but be prepared to rosin in for a good while. Too bad they don't make the rosin spray anymore. Luckily, a cake of rosin and dust rag come in the bag. No worries so far.

Now, the instrument itself. I opened the gig bag and was so excited to see the instrument. Upon grabbing it, you will notice it's not flimsy at all and the paint job is done very well. No blemishes, dings, or marks...and I got a white one, so if there was damage, I would notice. As expected, the bridge was not installed (thank goodness). You will find your bridge in the same small pocket on the front of the bag that had the rosin and rag. Also note that the strings will already be attached, but tightened down. Now, there have been a lot of complaints about this cello from the reviews I have read, but with a firm understanding of the mechanics of a cello, you should be playing this thing in 10-15 minutes. I will provide you a few steps I think would be helpful. ( I did not find any manual or setup guide with the cello )Do not be in a rush to get this thing assembled. Take your time and think.

1. Loosen your fine tuners and make sure they move smoothly. There have been complaints about them not budging. Mine worked fine, but to make them even more smoother, I sprayed a tiny amount of WD-40 on the tuners and the fully tighten and loosened them. Works like a charm. Note: If you hear a rattling, you have either loosened your tuners too much or you need to tighten the little nut at the base of each tuner. No tools required.

2. Loosen up your pegs at the scroll. Mine were jammed in a bit, so make sure you pull out and loosen to free up the peg. Some reviews say the pegs don't stick, but peg oil fixes that up. Now, I like to wire my strings in my own fashion, so I removed the strings and wound them the way I like them. (If you have no idea how to wire a cello string, there are videos and topics all over the internet. They did not take care to wire the strings on the peg in any good fashion, but no damage done. Now, once your pegs are loosened, make sure they rotate smoothly in the peg box. I imagine that a bit of sandpaper to the peg box holes would fix up any roughness, but I did not have a problem operating the pegs.

3. Loosen your strings just enough to fit the bridge onto the cello. For all you experienced cellists, rejoice that there are no worries with a sound post or proper fitting of legs and location on the body of the instrument. It fits perfectly on the pickup. No nudging or aligning with the fingerboard. You should have no problems placing the bridge. VERY IMPORTANT: Your bridge will probably be way too high unless you like your upper register to have a 1/2" gap between the strings and fingerboard. I haven't done so yet, but simply make marks on the face of your bridge where the string notches are and the sand or file down your bridge to you desired height. Make sure, of course, to keep the arch of the bridge the same as it aligns with the fingerboard. (One side should be lower than the other!)

4. Once your happy with your bridge, tighten your pegs and tune away. As any experienced cellist would know, your strings will stretch for the first week or so. You will have to re-tune the cello often until the strings are broken in. Now, as you noticed the price, you will not get any great strings. Any acoustic cello strings will do. You obviously don't have to worry about matching your strings with the body and character of your cello. Your cello has no body! I replaced the given strings with a basic set of Heliocore's and they work great.

5. Once your tuned up and ready to play, have fun with it. Please make sure your bow is well rosined. It will take a while to get it good and ready.

This cello works great as a silent practice cello, but note that you will have to get used to it as it's a substantially different feel from an acoustic. This is why you should learn on the acoustic! You will first notice that it's awkward to hold, but you will get comfortable with it. Also, it's probably going freak you out how little sound comes out of without it being plugged in.

Now, for my favorite part: The amp and pedal board. On the back our cello, there will be a black box with what you need to amplify. First, make sure your battery is in and your cello turns on. There's an on/off switch with a red light to let you know when it's on. (Turn your cello off or you will kill the battery ....kind of a weird new habit you'll have to get into.) Next, take your 1/4 to 1/8 cable and plug your 1/8" end into the "line out" jack. You can then either plug the 1/4" end into an amp or pedal board. When you plug it into an amp. the cello will, well....kind of sound like a cello. Kind of. Depends on your amp and the settings it has.

If you plan on using this cello for awesome effects and such, here's my pedal lineup for you to see how I shape my sounds.

Cello --> EB Jr. Volume Pedal --> Cry Baby Wah --> Lyon Distortion --> BOSS PH-3 Phase Shifter --> Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble --> Boss Compression/Sustainer --> BOSS Equalizer --> RV-5 Digital Reverb --> Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler --> Bass Amp (USE A BASS AMP!)

If you want to retain the natural smooth cello sound, the pedals you will need are an equalizer and a compression sustainer. I would say teh reverb is optional, but it really does give a great sound for that cello tone. Have fun with your pedals and do research before you purchase. I like BOSS pedals as you can tell, but that's just me.

-------

Overall, I think this cello was a great buy and I am more than satisfied. With a little maintenance and care, this cello was up and running and sounds great. A must buy for anyone looking to try some awesome effects on a cello. Your cello can be a heavy metal guitar or Bach Prelude cello with the hit of a switch. I hope this was helpful and please feel free to contact me with nay questions you may have about the cello or let me know if this was helpful. I'd love to help!"

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor representation of an E-'cello., February 12, 2014
I purchased this cello after looking at all the other electric cello models from cecelio on Amazon. It had the highest rating of them, so I figured it was at least going to be a decent model. If I could have given it a zero rating (simply for the sake of helping others avoid buying such a bad product), I would have. I want to preface this by stating that I am not a cellist, and I bought this as an alternative to a wooden cello due to some very nit-picky neighbors. However, I do play other instruments, and so I am familiar with some of the basic components of the instrument.

First of all, the cello came in a flimsy woven plastic bag with absolutely no padding. It's as if someone sewed those reusable grocery bags together and fit it to the size of the cello. The body of the cello is strangely composed of what looks like solid wood, plywood, plastic, etc. all coated in a thick shimmering metallic red color. I would hardly call the color "mahogany," more like the kind of red paint you would see on a chevy truck (I guess that might not be a con for some people).

The body had visible scratches that were simply covered with the shellac like everything else. The shellac was chipped in several areas revealing a whitish wood color underneath (kind of wonder what wood is so white...). Now for some of the deal breakers: the fingerboard was glued in place about 1.5-2mm away from the neck of the instrument. Now, again I'm not a cellist, and so I still don't know if this is normal, but it did result in the entire neck rattling around when the instrument is played. I'm not sure that is supposed to happen. Also, the 'A' string snapped the minute I started turning the tuning pegs. Really? The string had to be incredibly poor quality as I barely tightened the string, let alone to the right key. The others tuned okay at least. I don't have enough knowledge to know if the rosin was okay, or the horsehair on the bow. However, the bow was flimsy, and unevenly lacquered.

The electronic components were very poor. I didn't expect a great instrument for the price. The yamaha electric cellos are in the thousands. However, the electronic components were like a toy! No matter how hard I tried to finagle the sound system, it wouldn't get loud enough until I turned the system up to max. The volume on the cello MUST be set to max to even hear anything out of it. The strings are actually quite loud, and I couldn't hear the sound from the speakers ever become louder than the strings, but another person near me assured me "something" was coming out of the speakers.

Overall, I suggest you save your money and put it toward a reliable and honest company (Yamaha makes some very nice electric cellos; I saw a couple at the Johnson String Instrument shop nearby). Outside of amazon, I looked this Cecelio company up and found cellists are bashing it on forums for many of the same reasons I have. They say that most of the instruments are unplayable. I don't know enough to make that judgement, but I returned it having recognized what even a layman can as a very poor representation of an electric cello.

3.0 out of 5 stars Broken pickup, December 8, 2012
It's a great instrument for the price and all, but mine arrived with a broken pickup. I have to press the strip below the bridge down and the electronic portion of the cello works for maybe 10 seconds before the sound drops out again. As I have not seen any other reviews with this issue, I'd imagine it's an isolated event. I'd rather practice with a near silent cello than have to go through the hassle of repackaging and returning such a large package.

Otherwise, the instrument looks fantastic, no chipped paint or superficial flaws. I've replaced the strings with D'Addario preludes and it sounds great those few seconds the sound works. You'll have to fiddle with the pegs and fine tuners, but nothing too extensive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth It!, June 19, 2012
We bought this cello for my little cousin's 8th grade graduation. HE LOVES IT! He has played with our band a few times, and with an inexpensive key board amp it stands up well against guitar and drums. It sounds very nice when played through a key board amp and when tuned properly. The headphones it comes with are sub par, but the cello itself is quite nice. Looks awesome, and was pretty easy to set up. I read a few negative tidbits about the quality of the A string, but in a sense we didn't get to really test that out because it snapped during the initial tuning. Which I might think was due to the inexperience of the tuner had I not seen him successfully change strings on acoustic cellos in the past. Now that we replaced the A string the whole set-up works and sounds great. The bow seems to do the trick well enough (though I'm no expert), and despite it being poorly padded, the case is quite practical with its back straps and plethora of pockets. For 300 bucks, we are very happy with this purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price, August 12, 2013
I would have given this three stars had it not been for the price, however for $350, this is actually pretty nice. I've been playing classical cello for 20 years, which I say only to point out that I'm not a rookie and I at least marginally know what I'm talking about...

Pros:
- It's an electric cello for $350. That's dirt cheap.
- The bow is entry level, but works just fine.
- Even with the bargain basement strings it comes with, it's a pretty smooth play.

Cons:
- The case is not going to protect this from anything. It might as well be wrapped in tin foil.
- The headphones are garbage, but then again, you're probably not buying this for the headphones.
- The pickup is really sensitive and not necessarily in a good way. If you're hooked up to an amp, you really have to play around with the volume and tone to get a decent sound out of it and when you finally get it to a good level, you'll have to adjust it again 20 minutes later.
- The fine tuners (on mine at least) rattle pretty consistently. I've tightened each of them and it won't go away. I may just end up dropping two of the four.
- The paint job looks nice, but for the first few weeks, be prepared to have to wash your hands after playing it, as the fingerboard paint rubs off.

That seems like a lot of cons, but if you're just looking to jam in a band or practice without echoing all over the house, this is not a bad investment at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It!, March 8, 2013
i received the cello in flawless packaging four days before the EDA. delivery gets a plus.

the product was in great shape, my only complaint is that i wish more sellers would collapse the bow before shipping, keeping it constantly tensed runs the risk of warping it. other than that everything arrived in great condition, neatly packed away and stored in one of the case's many convenient pockets (one for rosin, cleaning, tuner, whatever else you can fit in there, one for the bow, and one on the back for your sheet music and lesson books). i opted for the Mahogany Metallic and it is beautiful, the picture does NOT do it justice, it is a very lovely instrument.

no instructions are included, but if you've had any experience with viol instruments it's easy to set up, if not cecilio has it available in the owners manual (note, the owner's manual has setup for acoustic, but it's the same for electric). the placement of the bridge is clearly marked. pick up works and the strings have good tone, though i did have to change the A string because it was too bright. breaking in the strings was easy and i had no problem with breakage.

i posted a video on my blog to demonstrate what it sounds like amped up. when it is unplugged it is very quiet, you can easily practice without disturbing anybody around you. [...] its-been-two-weeks-since-chordelia-arrived-on-my

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, June 10, 2012
Kirk K. Yousif "kyousif" (oak park, michigan United States) - See all my reviews
This cello was a fun addition to our collection of cellos. until now we have only had acoustic cellos and decided to get this one based on the reviews. It was very easy to put together though we had a problem getting one of the strings to stay on the bridge. i cut the groove a little deeper and the problem went away. the cello was easy to tune and is very quiet wen played without an amplifier. the microphone works but can use a bit of wriggling to get it to sound good. same for the amp but once it is in there the right way, it sounds great. I thought the A string sounded a bit tinny but not much worse than a real cello with lower grade strings. overall, we all loved this cello. the wood part is well made if a bit heavy and the remainder is passable especially for the price. I hope it withstands the test of time.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›