Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cee Lo's Magic Moment
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

on February 14, 2013
I rarely buy music anymore. But, I bought this album based off of one song "Mary Did You Know." I have heard many versions over the years and I just think Celo's version is by far the most beautiful I have ever heard. Granted, I have done my own version and thought it was good. But, Celo's is just awesome on so many levels. I like the the other songs now equally that I have heard them all. It's a feel good CD. I have never bought a Celo album before although I did like him when he was part of Knarles Barkley. On top of not usually buying any type of music, I rarely buy Christmas music anymore. This is Christmas music and I think it is a must have for anyone that wants to feel good during the season. This album should be up with all the classics as far as I am concerned. I have the classics and the only album that was played all season was this one. He does an awesome job with the song the Grinche. I was surprised and catch myself grinning every time I listen to it. If you like Christmas music you will love it, but if you like the song Mary did you Know for that alone you would love this album. He does the best version I have ever heard.
on October 30, 2012
If you like CeeLo's voice, you will love this! The songs he chose are perfect for his unique sound. The Muppet one is a little silly and smile provoking! Gotta love them! Mr. Grinch is perfect and Baby It's Cold Outside with Christina Aguilera is probably my favorite. Good purchase.
Cee Lo Green follows up 2010's The Lady Killer with 2012 holiday offering Cee Lo's Magic Moment. Given all his idiosyncrasies and eccentricities as an artist, Cee Lo Green seems to be the perfect artist to release a holiday effort. Unsurprisingly, Cee Lo's Magic Moment is nothing short of a soulful treat.

"What Christmas Means To Me" opens the effort in soulful fashion, preserving the Motown arrangement (the song was originally written by Anna Gaye, George Gordy and Allen Story). Laden with horns - as much of Cee Lo's Magic Moment ends up being, Cee Lo does this cut up right. Cee Lo's vocals are clear, nuanced and nothing short of exceptional. Frank Loesser penned classic "Baby It's Cold Outside" proceeds with the help of Christina Aguilera. Jazzy and tongue-in-cheek, Christina and Cee-Lo exhibit the utmost vocal chemistry. Perhaps most impressive is that Christina Aguilera sounds more restrained and controlled than listeners have heard from her in some time.

"This Christmas" finds Cee Lo and producers preserving the sanctity of the Donny Hathaway Christmas classic. Soulful and commanding, Cee Lo is on 'autopilot' with his pitch perfect vocals. While his smooth vocals translate on the solid "The Christmas Song," one wishes Cee Lo to liberate himself even more, much like he did on his original song "Old Fashioned" where soulful grit and nuances 'ran free.' Regardless, "The Christmas Song" is pleasant, made all the better by acoustic strings.

"White Christmas" opts against the slower interpretation in favor of a brighter, more jubilant one. Intact with strings, horns, and harmonious background vocals, Cee-Lo's take on "White Christmas" keeps the Irving Berlin classic fresh. Cee-Lo's vocals really shine and soar towards the end. He keeps the soul coming on "All I Need Is Love," a cut featuring The Muppets and embodying portions of "Mah Na Mah Na," as penned by Peiro Umiliani. Overall, the retro-soul sensibility suits Green perfectly and he delivers yet another capable vocal performance.

While "All I Need Is Love" is sound, "You're A Mean One Mr. Grinch" may just be the album's crowing achievement. Featuring Straight No Chaser, the coupling of these two forces makes for one of the most unique and eccentric takes on the Dr. Seuss/Albert Hague penned classic. Cee Lo oscillates between singing and storytelling, with Straight No Chaser constantly providing accompaniment via their jazzy, harmonic vocals. The highest point may be the superbly arranged dissonances (Adam Anders) while Cee Lo depicts the classic children vocal in spoken word.

"Please Come Home For Christmas" brings Green back to earth, covering Charles Brown's 1961 classic in exceptional fashion. Cee Lo's signature vocal nuances and vocal cracks appear in full fledged fashion, supported by solid backing vocals. "Run Rudolph Run" speeds up the tempo, contrasting the relaxed nature of the bluesy "Please Come Home For Christmas" Every bit as soulful, "Run Rudolph Run" finds Cee Lo in excellent voice.

"All I Want For Christmas" gets it obligatory cover. While it may be over performed as the new holiday staple of the day, Cee Lo takes more liberties, which truly freshens it up. These liberties are both in arrangement and in vocal colorations, adding that extra 'pizazz.' Unchanged is the tempo change from slow to fast and the overall flow of the Mariah Carey/Walter Afanasieff penned cut.

"Mary, Did You Know?" slows down the tempo, aiming for more of a reverent tone. This is reflected through more restrained, controlled vocals by Cee Lo. The strings are certainly a highlight in addition to Green's lovely vocals. "River" finds Green covering Joni Mitchell, and doing so in exceptional fashion. The falsetto by Green is spot-on and the notion to keep the cut 'stripped' is very musical.

"Merry Christmas Baby" features Rod Stewart and Trombone Shorty. Stewart and Cee Lo manage to complement each other well vocally, probably due to the fact they both sport some of music's more unique voices. Nonetheless, "Merry Christmas Baby" serves as a fine penultimate cut, lifted even more by the gospel-tinged background vocals. Closing cut "Silent Night" - a tried and true conclusion point for so many holiday albums - avoids standard treatment in favor of some liberties. It is a bit uneven, but not bad by any means. Vocally, Cee Lo never concedes anything.

Overall, Cee Lo's Magic Moment is pretty 'magical.' Unlike so many holiday albums, Cee Lo releases one that is more than a temporary crowd pleaser. He opts for songs that suit his vocal and personal sensibilities, hence delivering an album with exceptional quality and no misses. It is a shame the album was so 'under-the-radar', peaking as of yet only at no. 67 on the Billboard 200 Albums Chart. Highly recommended.
on October 30, 2012
"Cee-Lo's Magic Moment" should bring lots of cheer this Christmas and thereafter. Opening is the bouncy retro soul "What Christmas Means To Me", followed by the Jazzy shuffle "Baby It's Cold Outside" which features his fellow Voice judge Christina Aguilera.

There are the standards; "The Christmas Song", a swinging "White Christmas", the Blues-ey "Please Come Home For Christmas" (with gritty vocals by Green),a rocking "Run Rudolph Run", Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas", "Merry Christmas, Baby" (with Rod Stewart and Trombone Shorty), and "Silent Night" (which starts off spare, building to a thrilling crescendo), to mention a few.

He covers Joni Mitchell's melancholic "River". The bouncy "All I Need Is Love" is an original Cee-lo composition, a duet with The Muppets which also interpolates their "Mahna Mahna" and shows off his fun side, as does "You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch" featuring a cappella group Straight No Chaser providing theatrical harmonies. My favourite is "Mary Did You Know" which is just piano, sweeping strings, and his vocals soaring majestically.

This should make for magic moments this Christmas.
on November 3, 2012
Cee Lo exhibited his soulful style most recently with "Forget You". This album features tons of soul, funk and tremendous vocals. I was never impressed by Cee Lo's voice, but the opening track "Silent Night" gives you chills! The arrangements on this album are excellent. A true joy to listen and enjoy the holiday season!
VINE VOICEon November 20, 2012
I am a fan of Cee Lo's work with Gnarls Barkley and also his song with the unprintable name. Lately, though, my only exposure has been his rather eccentric work on The Voice. I am so pleasantly surprised by this Christmas CD. I did not guess that he had such a sense of fun! This CD made me smile so many times. I love how totally he commits to his performances here. And when he gets serious (Mary Did You Know, River, Silent Night), the absolute purity and beauty of his voice blows me away.

But back to the fun stuff. Cee Lo and the Muppets - come ON! Just try not to smile listening to this track. He even makes gravelly old Rod Stewart sound current. Cee Lo cannot manage to make Xtina listenable or less annoying for me, but that is totally not his fault.

All in all, the concept is masterful. It shows off Cee Lo's skills as a producer and makes him seem really accessible as a performer. Seriously, this CD brings back the pure joy of the holiday season for me. It is all the more delightful for being so unexpected. Just listen, you won't be sorry.
on November 1, 2012
I don't know how I celebrated the holidays before this album came about but now the game has changed. Christmas is full on funkadelic with this album right here. Makes the perfect gift, I can't wait to surprise my whole family with copies of this album, they will love it. I must have listened to Run Rudolph approximately 5 times a day since I got this album. I can't wait until the rest of the world knows about this album. I have 3 copies. One for my home, one for my car, and one for my cd player that I take to the gym. Whenever I drive around town I play this as loud as I can with the windows rolled down, I want the whole world to hear. So good, buy this album. Unnghgn.
on January 3, 2016
I hate Christmas music but my husband likes to put it on as soon as Thanksgiving is over. Throughout the years I have tried to buy him a new Christmas CD so I don't have to hear the same music over and over again. This year i looked up Rolling Stone Magazine's list of top 25 Christmas Albums and this was on it. I have to tell you from the first note to the last I loved this CD! He can play it anytime he likes!
on December 27, 2015
Seriously impressed with this new Christmas Classic. The Mary did you know is worth the price of admission itself. Great takes and collaborations throughout this journey. Fun and upbeat but also features tracks that are a melting blanket of Christmas warmth. People don't want to believe it, but Cee Lo Green may have authored a Christmas story to transcend generations.
on February 4, 2013
Only like one song on this CD and I do happen to like this artist. I really purchased it for the song titled, "Mary Don't You Know." Steve Harvey played it so much on his morning radio show and I fell in love with it, so I decided to purchase the CD. I'm not up to the 21st century where I know I should have just downloaded that one song. Have to get up on technology.