Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on July 20, 2013
Celebrate 100 is a thoroughly enjoyable, well written book that presented me with humor, hundreds of years of lessons learned by very inspiring "normal people" and, perhaps most important, challenged me to think not only about my past life but how to prepare for the next 30 or more years. I am one of the "younger generation" people with respect to the centenarians featured since I am now a young 71. I found them speaking to me in my own voice on many issues. That at times was comforting but also sometimes disturbing. The humor and humility of these people, who have lived through all of my years and that of my parents, was very touching. As I read the book I made many notes of poignant quotes, examples of how life should be lived, challenging thoughts and the clear and concise analyses by the authors. Without doubt my vision of the future has been challenged. It would be so good if everyone would read these wonderful stories, learn the lessons presented and appreciate the great respect for centenarians that the authors have shown.
on August 22, 2013
This is a marvelous introduction to a diverse group of spectacularly long-lived individuals. These folk are proof that old age doesn't have to be a long painful drudge into that good night. Far from it! I'm in my 30s and most of the people I talk to think of old age as a mixed-up amalgamation of silliness the TV has fed them, a collage of rest home dreariness, life insurance ads tinged with melancholy resignation, and of course, tons of tons of pharmaceutical-shilling. This not an accurate picture.

Thankfully, Steve Franklin and Lynn Peters Adler are helping to even the balance by introducing us to centenarians who are still having fun, still learning new things, and most importantly failing to "act their age". They are young where it matters, keeping positive outlooks and remaining curious and enthusiastic about where life takes them. And they are mature where it matters, filled to the brim with over a century of valuable real world experience. In today's society where old-fashioned common sense is rare and dearly-needed, books like this will always come in handy. It's full of great advice. Utilize it. You will meet some wonderful people in the process.
on July 17, 2013
As a daughter of one of the featured centenarians (Elsa Brehm Hoffmann) and the mom of Sharon Textor-Black who wrote a book about Elsa ("Elsa's Own Blue Zone"), I shared my daughter's excitement in receiving and relishing each page of this book of centenarian secrets! "Celebrate 100" is a fabulous overview of the top tips from those who have truly "been there and done that." Can we all finally, finally pay attention to these wise and 21st century elders that have lived and learned and now are sharing these secrets with us to emulate and create plenty of food for thought? We feel this book will entertain as well as teach. The photos are such a treat, too, to see these vital individuals with such strength and character. Bravo to the authors for their dedication to this research ... and to the centenarians for being so open to share their experiences and wisdom for the modern world!
on August 13, 2013
Too often, these wonderful stories of the past go unwritten, and there is so much to gain through reading them. I loved getting a glimpse into the lives of the many individuals featured. The stories were open and honest, with both happy moments and heartbreak. I often found myself chuckling while reading, and I found many tidbits of wisdom in the pages. What a great springboard for personal reflection! Eye opening for both the young and old, well written and enticing, this book was a fantastic read.
on September 17, 2013
This was a great easy and 'delightful' read peppered with wisdom to ponder. There should be a class in school on empathy and 'Celebrate 100' as required reading.
My hope would be that the young might learn enough to forecast their futures out 10 to 50 years using others lifetime experiences to structure their goals and objectives in life...... in business, personally as well as socially and financially.

Another great 'empathy' value to 'Celebrate 100' are the lessons of how us 'old people' think and what and how the younger family generation can meaningfully contribute rather than react to our needs and intersts. This should be required reading for everyone between 30 and 60 who have living parents and other relatives.

To the authors.....thanks for investing the time to research and write a most interesting chronicle of those who have 'made it'. Gene
on July 11, 2013
I have traveled globally for Boeing and always looked at the way people treated their senior population. Each society has a unique way in interfacing with parents and loved seniors. Celebrate 100 brings out the best in our culture sometimes hidden behind family doors. This book opens up and gives a view of the true love and affection for our amazing group of people who challenged life and brought forth exciting activities, kept steadfast in virtues, bonded with country patriotism, and applied on-going wisdom. Each section gives specific examples of their tenacity to be deeply involved Centenarians. This book is the kind I like to read while traveling. It's 5 star hit and gives insight to our own lives. Gary Pacific-Global Traveler
on August 31, 2013
As a centenarian, I enjoyed reading in "Celebrate 100" about the accomplishments and philosophies of some of my contemporaries. As a retired news editor, I admired the writing and organizational skills of editors Steve Franklin and Lynn Peters Adler. "Celebrate 100" should be required reading for all 70-year-olds, as a guide to planning the next 30 years.

(I am the son of one of the centenarians. I have not read the entire book, but I know that author Lynn Adler cared as much about the individuals as she did about the stories. This is the ultimate book "based on actual events". The result of her dedication provides a treasure for all, and especially for those who are younger than the contributors. - Steve)
on August 22, 2013
Celebrate 100 is a great summary of what has kept some amazing folks living long happy lives. In trying to discern what makes these people tick, it appears that love and faith are driving forces and major contributors to their collective happiness.
Mother Teresa once said, "We must know that we have been created for great things, not just to be a number in the world, not just to go for diplomas and degrees, this work and that work. We have been created in order to love and be loved."
Many of these Centenarians live this message and the book documents how.
on July 14, 2013
I found "Celebrate 100" interesting, inspiring and particularly appropriate. My father is in his mid-eighties and shows no signs of slowing down or willingness to do so. Like many of those in the book, he doesn't act or look his age, and persists in believing he's sixty. Based on the examples of these centenarians, he's on track to 100."
on July 8, 2013
The writers did a great job sharing their research and interviews of these truly remarkable people. It is fun to read and inspirational at the same time. The centenarians have seen so much and all seem to thrive on life. A lot can be learned from them.