5.0 out of 5 stars Low key but full of emotion-good addition to this series.
Published on February 21, 2012 by Sharon Redfern

3.0 out of 5 stars I love the series but this installment just...misses
Published on February 23, 2012 by Booklover848

5.0 out of 5 stars Low key but full of emotion-good addition to this series., February 21, 2012
This review is from: Celebrity In Death (Hardcover)
Celebrity in Death is the latest book in the Eve Dallas series and it is almost contemplative compared to some of the earlier books. Eve is the subject of a vid that is being made based on Nadine Furst's book about the Icove case. A dinner has been planned with the cast members and their real life counterparts to celebrate the near completion of the movie. As usual, Eve is grumpy about getting dressed up and having to attend a fancy social function. All of that changes when one of the actors ends up dead and Eve and Peabody have to solve the murder.
The victim, K.T. Harris, was disliked by everyone who worked with her and even had a tussle with Eve during the dinner. She was playing Peabody in the vid and her resemblance causes Eve and the rest of the NYPSD staff some moments of unease. As they dig deeper into her life and death, they discover that K.T. had lots of secrets and was doing her best to disrupt the lives of her co-workers by various methods such as blackmail and coercion. It seems to Eve and Peabody that everyone has a motive and with the majority of the suspects being actors it is going to be difficult to really find out what happened.
This book has less of the action that earlier books had but more introspection into Eve and Roarke's lives. Peabody and McNab have their special moments as well. Eve is moving on from the events that happened in Texas and coming to some measure of peace. Roarke still worries about Eve but looks back on his life and realizes how much balance Eve brought to him. Their relationship just keeps getting stronger and more loving. There are thirty four books in this series and they only cover a little over two years which adds to the continuity of Eve's relationships both personal and work related. The overlying theme of this book is about choices and how making a certain choice at a particular time has caused events to happen in each of the lives of the characters in the book. This is also the means that Eve uses to finally solve the murder-looking at choices made and how that person's life was affected by them. It all ties together and makes this a satisfying addition to the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars a quiet almost soothing mystery, February 21, 2012
C. Quinn (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
After the emotional roller-coaster of the last installment, this quiet tale of mass murder was almost soothing. Eve and Roarke, still reeling from the aftermath of their time in Dallas, are caught up in the movie being made of Nadine's book about the Icove clones. When one of the stars of the film dies during a dinner with all the cast and real-life personalities, Eve is of course right on the scene and plunged back into a murder investigation.

This would not be a good entry point into the series in my opinion because anyone not already in the know about the Icoves and not already invested in the characters is unlikely to find this particular tale compelling. That said, for those of us who read every book as soon as it comes out, this was a welcome quiet story, a chance for Eve to take a much needed emotional breath while exercising her considerable police skills. I was surprised to see how much I enjoyed Eve with some of her sharper edges softened; it certainly seems like recent experiences, while painful, are finally helping her to let go of some of her past and enjoy more of her present.

Not fast-paced, not a constant thrill ride, yet nevertheless a satisfying addition to the Eve and Roarke story that showcases a softer side of both characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars I love the series but this installment just...misses, February 23, 2012
This review is from: Celebrity In Death (Hardcover)
I adore this series but this latest book just...misses and sadly it shows in the manner in which I read it. Normally I devour these books in one sitting and I do so with an escalating feeling of suspense and exhilaration as I absorb more and more of the plot even as a feeling of dread hits when I realize I am 50% through the book or 75% through the book and will soon be done reading it. I picked this last book up and put it down numerous times before finishing it and I wasn't at all unhappy about saying good-bye to this installment.

The pace of this book is much slower and shows little of the actual detective work and collaboration with EDD we've seen in previous books which diminishes the sense of urgency normally felt throughout these books.

I also felt the rhythm of the characters was...off. Roarke and Eve are more deeply in love and more dependent on each other for emotional support as they wade through the aftermath of the happenings in the last book but the repercussions from that last book are never truly addressed. The dialogue between Eve and Roarke was same old, same old in a lot of ways but the interaction between Eve and Peabody seems to have regressed. Other than an early scene between Peabody and McNab that was truly heartwarming and mature the character of Peabody seems to have reverted to an earlier, less secure version of the character. Eve is treating Peabody more like her aid as opposed to her partner which devalues the relationship they've been building and that was so strongly displayed during the recent "Treachery in Death". I miss the smart mouth with a heart Peabody who has grown stronger and more capable with every book.

It was nice seeing more of Nadine and I felt this book allowed that character to grow a bit but otherwise I don't see much growth here. Eve doesn't really even solve the case in my opinion; it's Roarke who offers the insight that breaks the case and that is one of several occasions where Eve seems to be missing things. Perhaps this is deliberate and part of Nora's plan and she will address it in the next book but I didn't get that sense.

I am wondering if perhaps Nora is allowing the relationship oriented books she writes as Nora Roberts to more heavily flavor the JD Robb books to their detriment because this book has lost the edge that traditionally defined the "In Death" books. I'm sure it's difficult to jump back and forth between books but I would rather have one truly great "In Death" book every year as opposed to two hybrid Roberts/Robb books. I am a little disappointed in this book but I am not ready to let go of these characters or this series so I am going to hold out hope that the next book is a return to the grittier series I fell in love with.

3.0 out of 5 stars A quieter suspense, February 17, 2012
I still love Eve, Roarke & Peabody and interestingly the secondary characters stay in the background,in this story. We still see the relationship between Eve & Roarke grow as Eve continues to come to terms with her past. However the pace of this book is much quieter and it seems that Eve has solved the crime without the legwork. No chasing criminals through the streets, no bombs disarmed, no off world travel - not even any arguments between Eve & Roarke. And no last minute death defying feats. I have all the Eve Dallas books and eagerly await the next installment in the series, but I prefer the faster pace.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to basics...loved it!, February 25, 2012
Eve and Peabody find themselves in a surreal situation when they visit the set of the Icove Agenda, the film based on Nadine Furst's book of the same name. They come face to face with their acting counterparts and it's uncanny how closely the actors come to looking and behaving like them. Later that evening, they return with Roarke and McNab to a glitzy evening with the cast, director, producer and Nadine, who has written the screenplay. During the evening one of the cast members is found dead in the home's rooftop lap pool so Eve and Peabody find themselves in the awkward position of investigating a murder that happened under their noses.

This installment brings the series back to basics after the emotionally wrenching case in Dallas. The story isn't terribly exciting but the case is interesting, Eve and Peabody are back together in rare form again and we are treated to some pretty good moments between Roarke and Eve. I found myself just enjoying the snappy dialogue and the humorous interchanges between Eve and Peabody, which has been missing for the last two books. We also gain some insight as to just where Eve is in dealing with the emotional aftermath of her last case in Dallas.

I enjoyed the story and the chance to revisit old friends. The mystery was engaging and the climax in Interview was classic Eve Dallas. This may not be the exciting book some may be looking for but it has all of the elements of the series that keep me happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story, but different from the norm, February 21, 2012
This review is from: Celebrity In Death (Hardcover)
While I agree that this book was low-key in comparison to many of the previous books, I think its an important book. The intensity in New York to Dallas and Chaos In Death is only days previously in this book's timeline. Those books and this one has main characters looking hard at issues they'd rather not address or think about. If couples Eve/Roarke and Peabody/McNab hadn't progressed in their relationships as they did in this story, I think an important link in the series would be missed. In over 40 stories, if you count the short stories in the anthologies and they do follow the total In Death timeline, we die-hard fans have watched two very emotionally-damaged people learn to like, love, and finally trust each other and make a unit. This story showed both couples make a big jump for both, and still manage to do their jobs as cops and King of the Financial World. The readers that want the cop procedural won't be as happy as they were with NY2D, but I like the book. Any more and I'll be giving out spoilers, so I won't. There's some great one-liners that had me laughing out loud, so enjoy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, April 7, 2012
Very disappointed in this book. I have read all the Robb books on my Kindle from Amazon. If you hadn't, read the other Indeath books you would have no feeling for the characters as they are presented. I loved the other books but not this one or New York to Dallas.
Robb or Roberts needs to get a new twist on the characters or quit this series and start something new. Roarke and Eve have too much dynamics to just let them die like this. There is no spark!

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Book -, February 22, 2012
This review is from: Celebrity In Death (Hardcover)
I really liked this book and felt it was worth "brand new price". It had some excellent lines in it.
I would not rate this as one of my favorites of the series.
This book was much more low key - and ironically enough for a book all about the drama it was remarkably drama free. Roarke and Eve are on pretty even footing, Summerset and Eve are getting along, Eve is not overly anxious with everything that happened in the last book, and there no one attempts to kill Eve or Roarke.
Still a great book - I loved the Peabody/McNabb scene.
I really liked the interaction, this book seems to give people a little more depth, and it is a great time to show how settled in their places and the trust they have built over the series.
A new character is introduced who I really liked, and hope is incorporated into series.
This book will by no means have you gripping the edge of your seat, this is more like a nice visit with friends you have come to know and love over the years. I think this has been the mellowest In Death book, and I did like the change of pace.
The reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because for this series, while a great solid book, it did not wring an emotion out of me, nor did it make me antsy to finish it then go back and re read. I think this is the slowest I have read one of these books, and that is not really a criticism, it was nice to have a change of pace. But for me to do a five star I have to want to immediately re read the book.
I tried not to give spoilers, just tell you how I felt about it. This is definitely worth purchasing and is still a keeper and still the best long running couple series out there :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not interesting, April 4, 2012
I have read all of the series and found this book boring. Normally I would read the book in a day or two. This took over a week. Could not really get into it. Very disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as Emotional, March 3, 2012
Lisa McGeen (OXFORD, MI, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celebrity In Death (Hardcover)
Celebrity In Death is much less emotional than New York to Dallas was. Eve is beginning to deal with what happened though she is having very lucid dreams and Roarke is also starting to cope with the aftermath. They are both being careful with one another so while there is interaction that is solely Roarke and Eve, it is not the main focus of this story. For me this book got back to the nitty girtty of solving the crime, much more about the process. There is a lot of interview time with witnesses where both Eve and Peabody's skills are demonstrated and just solid detective work.

The big question always is who got murdered and who is Eve going to get justice for. Nadine has sold her book rights for The Icove Agenda and they are filming right in New York City. Roarke and Eve, Peabody and McNab, Dr. Mira and her Husband, Mavis and her husband and Nadine are attending a dinner with the cast of the movie. Eve is trying to just enjoy herself when she has words with K.T. Harris, the woman who is playing Peabody in the film. Little is though of this as the hostess pulls her aside and the night moves on to a gag reel showing. After the viewing, K.T. is found dead in the rooftop pool. Eve quickly realizes that K.T. is not liked by anyone on the cast but everyone seems to have an alibi. Solid interview and just plain digging reveal just how much K.T. was disliked and why. When a P.I., that K.T hired to investigate two of the other cast members and their relationship in order for K.T. to be able to blackmail them turns up murdered as well, Eve and Peabody are at a loss as to who the murderer is until Eve discovers something outrageous. Seven deaths of people close to one of the suspects have turned up and that just seems too convenient.

I was glad to have a break from the emotional stress of New York to Dallas. I understand why it needed to happen but it was a rough story. I really enjoy the evolution of relationship that the In Death Series has. Eve and Roarke have hit a new level of their relationship with all of Eve's past out in the open, yet things are still the same. Roarke continues to gift Eve with things even though it makes her crazy and Eve harassed Roarke about his business. Peabody and McNab really hit a new level when the idea of marriage is discussed. There is not much of Mavis in this book but I hope more in the future.

All in all, this was another solid entry in the In Death series. It is amazing that this is book #34 and I am not feeling that the series is dragging out. There is always something new and fresh. It keeps me coming back.

Celebrity in Death (In Death Series)
Celebrity in Death (In Death Series) by J.D. Robb (Audio CD - February 21, 2012)
$38.99 $28.37