4.0 out of 5 stars Fine Catalog of Stellar Showpieces, May 29, 2003
This review is from: Celestial Harvest: 300-Plus Showpieces of the Heavens for Telescope Viewing and Contemplation (Dover Books on Astronomy) (Paperback)
Mullaney does a fine job of sifting through thousands of deep-sky objects to select those most likely to impress users of small telescopes. His descriptions are enjoyable, if occasionally overly florid, with an annoying overuse of exclamation points. His bias for double stars is evident, but I have no real complaint about that. Doubles are pretty and charming and often underappreciated. Mullaney apparently composed the manuscript using some primitive word-processing software that forced him to include additional objects at the back of the book instead of in the main constellation listings.
Overall, the sincerity of the writing, plus the intelligence of the 300 or so objects selected, makes this perhaps the best available list of objects that goes beyond the Messier catalog (better than the spurious Caldwell list, for example).

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Show winner for Small 'Scope Stargazing., May 23, 2014
Rainguy (Lake Oswego, OR) - See all my reviews
Celestial Harvest is a treasure trove for those of us who prefer the portability and ease of use of small 'scopes, and who also live beneath a heavy light-polluted canopy. Too many "small 'scope" guidebooks serve up stargazing samplers that are just not accessible for those of us who don't have Takahashi or TeleVue multi-thousand dollar telescopes and look skyward from Mauna Kea. Or some similar ink-dark sky.

Unlike far too many stargazing books, Celestial Harvest does not try to impress us with page after page of Hubble-esque photos, depictions of a deep sky world we will never come close to actually seeing through our Orions or Celestrons; instead, Mr, Mullaney is a Real World celestial trail guide for mainly backyard observers with ordinary equipment looking up into ordinary skies. Look here, he says, and this is what you have a good chance of seeing.

Messiers, NGC objects, double stars. CH gives you a nicely varied menu.

Moreover, Celestial Harvest not only points me to objects I have a reasonable chance of actually seeing, but the extensive and varied notes for each object are just outstanding——providing some idea of what a given object actually LOOKS like, what kind of pattern(s) define its shape, and what size glass you need to catch it along with the ideal magnification. For those like me who have been at this only a few years and whose academic background is history and the humanities, and who rarely has anything even close to good seeing, I need these specifics. Along with The Pocket Sky Atlas, CH constitutes an absolutely essential resource for the unwashed.

If you are a beginner to intermediate stargazer, you NEED this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding guide, December 30, 2012
Carol (QUEEN CREEK, AZ, United States) - See all my reviews
the book arrived quickly, and the writing is superb! I'll have it with me at the telescope while observing the delights he points out to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, April 17, 2011
When I hear that a friend or acquaintance has just bought their first small astronomical telescope, I immediately recommend this sweet little book. Mullaney's enthusiasm for the sheer joy of observing is contagious. Astronomy can also be overwhelming, and he does a fine job of sorting out the best objects for someone just getting started -- someone not "in Kindergarten," but more like in the third grade. What I mean is, now that I've seen M42, M31, and the Pleiades, what's next?

Rate and Discover Movies