Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on June 26, 2009
The bottom line on Celestron's SE series is that battery power is not enough. AA batteries drain quickly, and if you are using a dew zapper (also a necessity on SCTs) then that alone will drain your battery is just four hours on Celestron's smaller power tank. Plug your scope in, and the drain is even faster. If you're planning to be out for any length of time you should really consider this accessory. I use it with my 8" SE nearly every time I am out and can plug into a power source. It's never failed me yet.
on February 6, 2010
I ordered the adapter so I wouldn't go through so many batteries when using our telescope at home. It was a great purchase and well worth it. As with many battery operated items, as the batteries get used, the device they power starts to slow down. This is the case with our celestron telescope. Not only does it slow down, when the batteries get to a certain point in their use, the star tracking functions stop working correctly. So, even though the 'scope has power to move, it's slow and and won't follow the star tracks. Not only that, but it won't even correctly star align on start up. But, with the power adapter, that's no longer a problem. The built in functions of the 'scope work perfectly and the 'scope moves with authority when changing from one object to another and correctly stays fixed on the object as it moves through the sky.
Any drawback would be having to connect it to an electrical cord and make sure you don't trip over it, but that's a minor problem. I'd definiately recommend this to anyone with a 'scope.
on January 23, 2010
I ordered a Celestron NexStar 4 Telescope for my husband as a Christmas present. After researching Amazon's site for other related products I found the AC Adapter. This is a must have for any of the Celestron telescopes along with the battery pack. I appreciated that the information was so easy to find and the telescope along with the AC Adapter was delivered on Christmas Eve only 5 days after my order. Thank you Amazon!
on August 2, 2010
Good thing to have for your telescope when star gazing from home. Two minor cons: the connection between the adapter and the telescope is a little loose (almost like the male and female connectors are not quite matching); also, Celestron should have put the AC connector receptacle in the fixed part of the base, the part that does not rotate - now, I always have to be careful with the power cable so that it does not tangle or fall off when the telescope rotates.
on September 28, 2011
like all power cords this one gets some issues where the cord meets the plug in on the product end.
If your not set up for cord wrap issues and you are an avid scope user learn to tie a half hitch so
the pull stress isnt on the end of the cord.
on December 22, 2011
I'm using this on my Celestron SkyProdigy 130 and it's doing great. It has a pretty long cord so you don't have to be right next to the power outlet.
on June 16, 2014
I hate how we have to buy this separately. This works great, so no issues with that, but really... who sells electronics now and days and doesn't provide you with an AC cable? This is almost necessary, as running my 8SE purely on batteries results in very poor tracking and weird sounds from the DEC motor. I think it doesn't get the voltage it needs from the batteries, so this is a must have but... still... why *must* we buy it separately?
on July 23, 2014
This is not the right adapter for the Advanced VX mount, though it is listed as a "buy also" with the mount.

In fact, it damaged the power port on my mount and now I have to return it. From what I'm reading online, the Advanced VX takes a 5amp adapter.
88 comments3 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2014
Though Celestron's own part description says this unit (#18778) is recommended for the AVX mount. IT IS NOT!

The mount's 5amp amperage draw is higher than this unit is able to produce. My neighbor blew up his AVX handset and mount at the speed of light after he fired up using this model AC/DC converter. He had to send his mount back to Celestron. Turnaround times cost him a month's wait exchanging the mount. If you own, or are purchasing, an AVX mount I would strongly suggest the heavy duty #18780 Celestron converter instead though it costs twice as much. Your power source amperage MUST always be greater than the device's amperage demand. It isn't worth buying a lesser converter on the cheap at the expense of a $900 mount.

For reasons known only to God, mine works just fine with my AVX. Perhaps it is just over the cusp for amps, or my mount is not as demanding. Either way, my #18778 convertor is better left in the drawer. If I decide on a proper converter, I will bite the bullet and purchase the #18780 as well.

When in doubt call Celestron's tech support. Item descriptions cannot always be trusted!
on January 15, 2014
Would be nice if the telescope came with it's own AC adapter but since it doesn't, you really can't go without this if you like to spend a long time star gazing.