4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, Simple Telescope

3.0 out of 5 stars Fits my intended use
Published 16 months ago by danno

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, Simple Telescope, March 6, 2010
This review is from: Celestron 21035 70mm Travel Scope (Electronics)
I bought this telescope so that I would have something to look at the sky with when I travel to observatories in the northern and southern hemispheres. For the price this telescope is a pretty good value; it's portable (nicely fits into my suitcase) and reasonably powerful. It's great for looking at star clusters which need a wide field of view to fit the whole thing into view. This was the first telescope I've had where I could fit the entire Pleiades cluster into the field of view. At home, it's a great telescope since it's fast to set up and take outside for a few minutes. You may not think about it, but the amount of work to set up a telescope will translate directly into how much you use it.

The only con that I see with the telescope is that the tripod it comes with is fairly unstable; it's a regular camera tripod. It may be a bit frustrating trying to center on objects since it's a bit wobbly and hard to precisely center on something since it flexes a bit as well. Centering with the higher magnification eyepiece is even more tricky. I found that a different tripod I had for my camera works a bit better. Someone buying this for casual use may not notice, but the image quality does degrade toward the edges of the field of view; that's to be expected since it has such fast optics and wide field of view.

5.0 out of 5 stars gift, December 25, 2010
This review is from: Celestron 21035 70mm Travel Scope (Electronics)
I have to say, I am very impressed. The packaging was perfect, and the delivery was very fast with this product. This made the perfect gift for my 11 yr old son, and he loves the fact that it came with its own travel bag, so that he can take it with him every where he goes. Oh, and I looked at the sky from it as well, and the stars and the moon could not look any more beautiful. I am very happy with this item.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price and basic use, November 4, 2011
This review is from: Celestron 21035 70mm Travel Scope (Electronics)
I'm in Afghanistan, we decided to get a telescope for looking at the stars and planets out here since there's much less light pollution in western Afghanistan than there is anywhere in the US. At $60 with free shipping the price was right, and it only took a week and a half to get out here. Setup was easy, and right away I was able to look at Jupiter and see four of its moons. Then I looked at our moon and saw crisply defined craters. Haven't looked at much else yet. The tripod, as noted by others, is a little buggy. But the price is right, and you can get a better tripod pretty cheaply. I probably won't bother, we have enough stuff out here that I can put the tripod on top of that I don't really need to extend the tripod legs fully.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great All-Purpose Scope, March 17, 2013
This review is from: Celestron 21035 70mm Travel Scope (Electronics)
This 70mm refractor has been great fun to use. First, the negative. I give it 4 stars because, as stated in other reviews, the finder scope and the included tripod leave a lot to be desired. I replaced the tripod immediately with a much larger, sturdier tripod with a quick-release. The spotting scope needs to be adjusted constantly; I find it difficult to focus and honestly not much use around any amount of light pollution.

Now, the positive: I don't have much trouble finding bright stars by dead reckoning and then hopping from there. I've found the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn with no trouble at all, and what we see there is fantastic! Jupiter's moons and Saturn's rings are beautifully distinct. Mizar A & B and Alcor are easily distinguishable, along with stars down to 10th or 11th magnitude.

I also love bird-watching, and the upright image diagonal gives great views of the local avians with a pretty decent near-focus (5.8m) for that purpose.

The scope is very light (1.5kg) but seems quite well put together, and assembling it for use is easy and quick. In fact, we realized that it's light and compact enough to fit into a camping backpack, which hopefully means we'll get a LOT of mileage out of it in exotic places.

The eyepieces, as someone else mentioned, are standard 1.25" size also used by the much larger scopes I've had my eye on, meaning I'm not afraid to invest in high-quality upgrades.

They say the best scope is the one you use most. This scope puts up absolutely no barriers to taking it out to starwatch as much as possible. I was a little hesitant to buy it, but now I really wish I'd bought it a much sooner. Great value for a great price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, October 26, 2010
This review is from: Celestron 21035 70mm Travel Scope (Electronics)
It is a nice telescope for the fledgling hobbyist or for those that need to leave the city to see the stars. Easy to set up and maintain. The tripod that comes with it leaves much to be desired though. Its simply too light and will make the telescope jump as your trying to view through it. It is also hard to make fine adjustments. Expect to buy to better tripod.
That said the telescope is decently powered with its 2 eye pieces. Celestron is using the standard eye piece size so if you want a little more magnification just buy the appropriate eye piece. They are easy to find. Overall I expected as much and am pleased with what I got.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fits my intended use, July 25, 2013
This review is from: Celestron 21035 70mm Travel Scope (Electronics)
Ok, I didn't buy this scope for stargazing or bird watching... I do astrophotography and was looking for a lightweight, low price guide scope. This fits the bill perfectly. The optics are not the greatest, but I didn't expect that (this is partly why I gave it 3 stars btw). But it's very lightweight, and cheaper than the most popular of guidescopes, the ST80. Plus, you get a free case, very handy! One other reason I gave it 3 stars is the tripod. I don't use it, so it's no bother to me. But it's pretty wobbly, and the tripod head is not very smooth at all (and has lots of play in it). I recommend tossing it out and getting a decent photo tripod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Telescope, Economically Priced, June 6, 2012
This review is from: Celestron 21035 70mm Travel Scope (Electronics)
I Purchased the Celestron Travel Scope 70 Telescope for travel and remote Photo shoots with myself and Husband. With the stats reading 400 focal length We also knew it would take the place of a "Focal Reducer" for Moon and Sun shots (full view) and provide wonderful wide field vista shots as well. Our expectations have been exceeded. Yes, the Scope comes with a standard Camera tripod, which wobbles. Though by adding about 5 pounds of weight,(rocks, etc.) to the tripod (sling the pack under the tripod frame hanging under the center) It stabilizes nicely. We used this Scope just yesterday to Photo Shoot the Venus Transit across the Sun on a computerized mount with Excellent results! The finder scope is touchy, though all of them are, (and upside down) unless you wish to pay $60.00 just for a right side up finder scope. One can "add on" to this little Scope later. The Eye Pieces are of Kellners design; (A Celestron favorite to "package" with Scopes), and are of Quality Craftsmanship. The Service was in fact Outstanding, with the Package at my door three days after opening. Can't go wrong with this Scope for It has many Practical uses when "there's nothing to see in the sky". Take a Road Trip and a Camera, you'll get some great Tele Photo views!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, December 30, 2011
This review is from: Celestron 21035 70mm Travel Scope (Electronics)
I bought this travel scope for my husband who likes to view nature and astronomy on the go. The scope was well packaged and came with everything in the advertisement and the travel, bag is perfect to hold the scope, tripod and lenses. There is even enough room to add a few other items in the bag like a small camera. My husband said he loves it and it's range of view is far enough to view something a mile away or more and can view larger stars and the moon when it is in a clear sky at night. I am very satisfied with this purchase and we will be taking it on day trips and vacations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong for the price!, November 1, 2011
This review is from: Celestron 21035 70mm Travel Scope (Electronics)
The Celestron 70mm travel scope has been a wonderful addition to our backpacking on Oahu. We've been able to take it anywhere and get some beautiful views above Kaneohe, Ewa, and Aiea (overlooking Pearl Harbor). The backpack is just rugged enough for medium size hike's and has room to carry water and trail mix.

The optics are awesome. I was really surprised at both the clarity and power of the scope; easily reading the ship numbers out in the harbor, as well as getting great views of Jupiter and its moons.

The only reason I didn't give it a 5 star is due to the tripod. Granted it's a low cost system, but the ability to adjust can be tedious as it's either too tight or too loose when traversing and elevating. If your looking at purchasing this, look for a low-cost metal tripod to get a better motion in your views.

5.0 out of 5 stars YOU GET MORE THAN YOU PAY FOR, March 14, 2014
Lamblion (Marietta, Georgia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron 21035 70mm Travel Scope (Electronics)
Although I am not a newbie with regard to an interest and study in the stars - and I have also been in one or two very sophisticated observatories in the past - yet I am a complete newbie with personal telescopes. So after reading the reviews, I bought the Celestron Travel Scope 70. I didn't expect the perfect telescope, but one which would allow me to do a fair amount of amateur observing without too much hassle and with satisfied expectations. This telescope does just that. The assembly was a snap, and after playing with the scope in the daytime and familiarizing myself (and discovering) its features, it easily meets, and - based on some of the reviews - easily exceeds my expectations. I don't find the tripod to be a real issue, but then, I make sure I have a firm foundation to set it upon. I did not read anywhere - maybe I missed it - about turning the Pan Handle clockwise/counter-clockwise to smooth out the altitude adjustments, but I quickly discovered that by playing with the scope during the day. In short, I played with every thing on the scope I could find, and now I've pretty well got it figured out. The only thing I don't really care for is the Finderscope, but not because it's plastic, but because - as of yet, anyway - I have found it to be pretty much useless, whether it's plastic or titanium or kryptonite. I can use the 20mm to find just about anything I want, and then I can use the 10mm to focus more powerfully on the object I have found with the 20mm. I can see ants crawling on a tree at a hundred yards, at least, and I can read the text on license plates which I can't even see with the naked eye. While practicing, I read the text on a street sign clearly, even though I couldn't even see the street sign itself with the naked eye. Having learned and familiarized myself with the telescope by putting it through its paces in the daytime - which is an absolute must if you're a beginner, if you really want to learn the scope, that is - then viewing the night sky is a great deal more fun. The moon and its features are crisp (and I am near a big city), albeit the stars and planets I'm just now getting to, so can't say anything definitive on that yet, but based on the other reviews, and based on what I've seen so far with this scope, the planets and stars should easily meet or exceed my expectations for this scope. If you are a complete beginner, even if you're an adult (which people who don't really know me would say that I am), then this scope is a great value, and it will easily help you determine whether or not you want to go on to fry bigger fish in the future. Moreover, don't discount what you might learn by using this scope instead of going on to bigger fish right away. This scope will give you a far better feel for the issue, and will teach you some little but important things that will help you with more professional scopes in the future, should you decide to go that route. Also, the SkyX Software included with this scope is a terrific value in and of itself, and is a tremendous tool for the beginning/amateur astronomer. So rather than going out and plunking down a lot of money for a professional scope right off the bat, give this one a try, for it is a great beginning tool, especially for the price.

Celestron 21035 70mm Travel Scope