4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, Simple Telescope
I bought this telescope so that I would have something to look at the sky with when I travel to observatories in the northern and southern hemispheres. For the price this telescope is a pretty good value; it's portable (nicely fits into my suitcase) and reasonably powerful. It's great for looking at star clusters which need a wide field of view to fit the whole thing into...
Published on March 6, 2010 by J. Tobin

3.0 out of 5 stars Fits my intended use
Ok, I didn't buy this scope for stargazing or bird watching... I do astrophotography and was looking for a lightweight, low price guide scope. This fits the bill perfectly. The optics are not the greatest, but I didn't expect that (this is partly why I gave it 3 stars btw). But it's very lightweight, and cheaper than the most popular of guidescopes, the ST80. Plus,...
Published 15 months ago by danno

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 419 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Hobby Telescope, March 13, 2014
This review is from: Celestron 21035 70mm Travel Scope (Electronics)
This is a very nice telescope for the beginning amateur astronomer. The one that I purchased gave crisp, bright images of astronomical objects and terrestrial views. One can easily view the moons of Jupiter and to a lesser extent, the rings of Saturn. It gives excellent views of the moon in all but full phase which is too bright in clear seeing conditions (consider a filter if you like to view the full moon). It can also be used for bird watching but it is a little awkward for that purpose. The pack provided is adequate but you might want to add some bubble wrap for additional protection. The tripod is very light but works fine if you don't extend the legs. Sitting with it set up on a picnic table in the back yard without the legs extended is comfortable and solid. I rarely used the finder scope provided as the 10X eyepiece has good field of view and, once you've located what you want to see, you can change eyepieces to provide 40X. While ;it doesn't have a massive mount or clock drive, it is more than adequate for its intended purposes and particularly good for that budding astronomer in the family.

4.0 out of 5 stars TRIPOD IFFY, TELESCOPE ITSELF A SOLID PERFORMER, December 11, 2013
Rainguy (Lake Oswego, OR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron 21035 70mm Travel Scope (Electronics)
Okay, the tripod is pretty pathetic. But the telescope itself is really quite good: super lightweight, excellent optics, smooth mechanically. For $55, you aren't going to find a better package. And, just based on the maxim The Best Telescope Is The One You Most Often Use, the Travel Scope 70 if maybe not literally "the best" 'scope is nonetheless one you will use often, just because it is SO easy to use, and once at the eyepiece, you will find the images sharp and contrasty, as per any good refractor, and the little tube easy to move every which way around the heavens above.

Even those of you who (like me) have a number of larger scopes will still find yourself "one-handing" this baby out to the backyard for those nights that are iffy, meaning you might have just 20 minutes between cloud cover, or those nights when you just want to go out for a half hour or so and don't want to have to haul out/setup/break down/haul back in he big gun.

I mean, tripod and all we are talking under 5 pounds total here.

For wide field viewing of open clusters or Milky Way star clouds, you can't do much better even at 3-4x the cost. The moon comes through with admirable detail and contrast, and even Jupiter and Saturn are . . . not bad at all, though the images are small. M45, the Pleaides, are borderline spectacular in this scope; the TS 70 is sort of like having astro binoculars but with multiple magnification options and greater stability. The two included eyepieces are decent, though higher quality oculars will improve performance. But for casual observing the included 20 and 10 mms are at least adequate. In my experience, this scope handles up to about 50x magnification well; after that, image quality begins to degrade a bit.

Now as for the tripod. Fully extended it is, as other reviewers have pointed out, wobbly to the point of being nearly unusable.
But if you keep it fully compacted and use it as a table top mount (on a backyard patio table, picnic table at a park, etc) it is reasonably stable. But a better solution would be to get a more solid tripod, such as the Dolica st-500 for under $25. I have this tripod and in concert with the TS 70, it's a remarkably good setup. Paired with this tripod, the TS 70 becomes a 5-star performer. These two are a pretty much perfect combo. And as the Dolica breaks down to about 24", and comes with its own carry case, you still have a super transportable package to cart off to some darker skies site.

Dolica ST 500 68 Inch Lightweight Tripod Dolica ST-500 68-Inch Lightweight Tripod]]

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent travel telescope!, January 28, 2013
This review is from: Celestron 21035 70mm Travel Scope (Electronics)
I read all the reviews before purchasing this telescope and decided to get it regardless of the negative reviews.

It's hard to tell the size of the telescope from the picture (there's nothing to reference the size to) but the telescope itself is about a foot long. The tripod is collapsable to the same length and it comes with a backpack that has two areas with velcro straps to hold each. The overall quality of the telescope is great - it's mostly plastic, but I only pay about $50 for it, so I wasn't expecting observatory quality. It says on the box that it is intended for ages 13+, but I got it for my 2 year old daughter and I to use at various places. She's already looked thru the telescope and loves it.

I plan on taking it outside tonight after my kids have gone to sleep and seeing how well it picks up the moon, stars, and various planets, but so far with viewing thru it during the day, I'm impressed. The only negative to it is that it didn't come with the 2x Barlow lens, and that's an additional $35 here on Amazon. I may still buy it, depending on how well the telescope works tonight and if the Barlow lens gets a little cheaper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Celestron Telescope, March 28, 2011
This review is from: Celestron 21035 70mm Travel Scope (Electronics)
Telescope was brought for my 12 year old grandsons birthday. Seemed easy for him to set up and learn the mechanics to use it. We were pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, April 15, 2011
This review is from: Celestron 21035 70mm Travel Scope (Electronics)
I purchased this for my son (5), who is completely fascinated with astronomy right now. I have no prior experience with telescopes, but did quite a lot of comparison shopping online. This seemed to be a great value, and I am happy with it so far. We do a lot of hiking, so the backpack should prove to be useful. No complaints with the telescope, the tripod seems a little flimsy though. Overall, I would say this is a good deal - I can't imagine there being too much difference between models in this price range.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great scope. Tripod, not so much., September 27, 2014
This review is from: Celestron 21035 70mm Travel Scope (Electronics)
I'm a beginner, so this scope is just what I need to get started with viewing the night sky. If I get into it, I'll upgrade and make this scope my go to spotting scope and moon viewer. Very clear images. Adding the accessory lens/filter kit really extends the range of this scope both as a spotting scope and telescope. Like so many other reviewers of this product have stated, I would have given it a five star rating save for the pathetic tripod that comes with the package. I purchased a nice Dolica tripod at the same time and never even used the tripod that came with the scope. So, if you buy this scope you will to purchase another tripod. Believe me (and many others). There must be thousands of these tripods in garage sales and thrift stores all over the world.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for an 8 year old, January 5, 2014
This review is from: Celestron 21035 70mm Travel Scope (Electronics)
We like it because of the backpack and the ability to get additional eyepieces. It is easy to use and set up. The tripod is junk and very hard to get it to lock down once you have a star or planet in position - the spotting scope still isn't exactly centered. Touching the telescope causes everything to jiggle so you can't touch your hand or eye to it when viewing anything. We solved the problem by using my professional camera tripod with a floating head. Another reviewer said they add weight to the center of the tripod, so we will try that when we don't want to lug the heavy pro tripod around. We have only had it a few weeks and so far so good. My son Loves it for star and terrestrial viewing. I'm looking at getting some supplementary books to go with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Met expectations, perfect travel scope!, July 8, 2013
This review is from: Celestron 21035 70mm Travel Scope (Electronics)
Took a really nice shot of the Moon with my DSLR attached to it, the 70mm objective gives a sharp image.
A great alternative to buying an expensive 400mm telephoto Lens.
Although the scope body & focuser is made of plastic, its sturdy enough to handle the weight of a DSLR attached to it.

The eyepieces that come with it are low quality, but do give an okay image.

I used my more expensive eyepieces with it, and the image quality was much better.

The tripod that comes with is not really sturdy enough, so I used my Bogen tripod instead!

Overall its a great value for the money, and was perfect for a travel scope/400mm FL lens!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for sudden outings, June 8, 2013
This review is from: Celestron 21035 70mm Travel Scope (Electronics)
I got this for my boyfriend, he is a birdwatcher and star gazer. In the past we've gone on spontaneous adventures and the big telescope he had wasn't convenient at all to take around so this was perfect. Everything fits great in the backpack and the telescope has some nice lenses.
Its still a travel telescope so judge it for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars great portable telescope, March 22, 2013
This review is from: Celestron 21035 70mm Travel Scope (Electronics)
This is a great portable telescope when you dont want to lug around the big one. Very eady to use and serves the basicastronomy viewing. One of 4 telescopes i own

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 419 | Next ›