5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised
Published on June 16, 2011 by Astro "E"

3.0 out of 5 stars Great buy for first scope.
First off I have tried and tried and never seen the rings of Saturn through this scope. It was given to me as a gift and I am rather impressed considering they purchased it for $40 somehow at a big name store that sounds as if walls are all it sells. And for the value as a first scope I would've paid $70-$80 for it.

Things you should know. When looking out into...
Published 6 months ago by Matthew Carter

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, June 16, 2011
This review is from: Celestron 21036 PowerSeeker 70AZ Telescope (Black) (Camera)
Let me preface this review by saying that this is an under $100.00 telescope. With that considered, let me say that this may be one of the best values available in that price range. I opened the box and was pleased to see that everything was perfectly packaged as if I had pay 5x the price for it. Everything was pretty solid. There are some plastic parts, but they are not the important ones. The finder scope is plastic as well but it works and you won't be looking through that much anyways.

I regularly use a higher end 10" Dobsonian reflector, so there is no comparison, but I wouldn't take my expensive scope over to the beach at night and expose it to sand and salt either ( no light pollution over the ocean ). The lenses supplied are better than expected, except that a 9 or 10mm might be more appropriate than a 4mm, but once again....consider the price. The tripod and fork mount are rather stable and the views are great ! I think that the contrast and clarity are great as well as the overall construction of the main tube. The focuser is not the best, but works, and with a little TLC will get you where you need to be.

I was lucky enough to grab mine last week when Amazon had them for only $59.00, so I really lucked out !!!! If you are looking for a solid yet simple beginner, travel, super portable, or backup scope and don't want to spend a fortune - BUY THIS !!!! - You will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Beginner Telescope, March 12, 2012
I began looking for a telescope to buy because I love the stars and every other celestial object in the night sky. I was looking for a telescope to for me to view these objects, as well as see objects around the yard and also in the back of our property (20 Acres clear) I decided to pick this one up and I am not disappointed.

Pros:
* Easy assembly. Only took about ten minutes before it was up and working as pictured.
* For the price, this scope has a great clear image of the moon and a decent one of Jupiter and other planets.
* Swivel works well, as long as you tighten everything properly.
* Eye pieces and entire scope seem to be well-made with only a few pieces being plastic.
* Fast shipping and everything was packed extremely well. Came inside of a box, inside of another box!
* Tripod is actually above the quality I would have expected and it sits a good four feet above the ground unlike some other scopes that sit too low.
* Comes with a DVD to show you how to find the stars and other objects.
* Can be used to view night objects, and also to see what your neighbor is doing down the road!

Cons:
* The screws on the scope seem to come loose easily and I have to adjust them.
* The finder's scope is plastic, and this does not bother me, but if everything else is made well, why is this piece made with any less integrity?
* Does not come with a moon or planet filter like other telescopes of the same price, but an additional kit can be purchased.
* Instructions are a little complicated, but nothing a Google search cannot fix.

Overall this product is a solid 5 stars out of 5. If you are willing to spend a little more money, grab the Celestron 21061 AstroMaster 70 AZ Refractor Telescope. It is usually about $20 more and is basically the same thing, but it has a Pan Handle swivel mount. I promise, with both of these telescopes one cannot go wrong for the money.

Also, if you would like an accessory kit, grab the Celestron PowerSeeker Accessory Kit Telescope. It adds the moon and planet filter along with a few more eyepieces of different magnitudes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it now!, July 3, 2013
I am just a 13 year old girl who is very much interested in stars. I have wanted to get a telescope for 3 years and since this year i got good grades my mom decided to get it for me. I did some research and found out that this was in the top 10 best telescopes for beginners and it was in 8th place, the judge said that it was affordable, good for beginners and it was easy to set up. When i bought it, it came in 2 days it took me about an hour to set it up but it was worth it!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introductory Telescope, October 26, 2012
Let me first make this clear, this is a telescope that is fairly inexpensive (at least compared to some others out there). but with my Prime account for only $62, this telescope is well worth what I paid, perhaps a tad more.

Compared with my ETX-90 this doesn't hold a candle but, this telescope did impress me.
Here's why:

Pros-
#1) Mostly metel, except for the viewfinder (which is the first thing I replace) , so it's sturdy which is a large plus.
#2.) This came with a 3x 1.25mm Barlow lens, which for the price is really nice, I'd recommend the Celestron PowerSeeker Accessory kit, which is well worth 20 or 30 Dollars.
#3.) the base was more than I expected, and was in whole easy to set up and adjust.
#4) total setup time was about 30 minutes on a lazy afternoon, oh and if you have difficulties and think the manual is written in Martian please refer to google.

Here is what I didn't not like about it:
Cons-
*doesn't come with lens filters (but not related to the product itself).
*Damages easily if it gets too dewy

So Overall, This telescope marks a 4/5 on my list, it's for someone who is just coming into astronomy, don't expect Hubble like images.
When You buy this telescope, I definitely Recommend the Accessory kit, a Telrad Viewfinder, A Case for sure (if they have them, I'm sure they do). A Do-it yourself dew shield, (just use a manilla folder). get those and your set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Celestron 21036 PowerSeeker 70AZ Telescope, October 15, 2011
The Celestron 21036 PowerSeeker is a great telescope for looking at the moon and stars. I wanted a telescope that would allow me to see the craters of the moon and this one does that. I still have a lot to learn about this telescope, but I am very pleased with it. This telescope would make a good gift for anyone who enjoys looking up at the sky.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great buy for first scope., April 30, 2014

Things you should know. When looking out into the cosmos above, you will find there is only one focus level required for the one good lens it comes with. If you keep it at that it will give you the best optical view no matter what you look at up there, beyond our moon. The lenses that come with it make excellent candle holders, lol. Basically I use the largest lens available since the rest only make things smaller, and virtually unviewable.

If you want to view planets like Mars, Jupiter, Venus, etc. It has pro's and con's... For instance I can see the bands on Jupiter and I'm about 10 miles west of downtown Tampa. In between Tampa, Clearwater, and St Petersburg, Florida. So my views are often obstructed with higher levels of light pollution. Yet I can see the bands on Jupiter as well as make out 3 of it's moons. It cannot make out the rings of Saturn or any detail on Mars. Both look like little orange or tan/grey blips (Most people Ive shown say they look like brighter stars, lol.)

So don't expect too much and you wont be too disappointed. But if you are afraid to buy something really good until you knew what type of scope you could use to optimize your viewing enjoyment, I'd say go for it.

As far as any flaws.... Mine has a few. But it's to be expected from a store like the type it was bought from. I have little bits of things inside the scope, as well as a piece of something that always hovers next to my edge of the image. The tripod is ok, but its a bit of work to use. Myself, I am one-handed since losing the use of my left arm about 3 years ago, and I can use it how it is meant to be used. So no one else should complain hahahaha.

All in all it gave me a little perspective as to what scope I would like to buy next once I can save up the money to do so. So if you are nervous and don't know which one to buy, then start small and use it a LOT!

I live for the stars. in the sky as if they died to create me. :) It has healed my mind and my soul. So when I buy a new scope I will give this one to someone that cannot afford it and if you buy this then later on upgrade to a better one, please do the same. This universe is amazing. And I couldnt have normally afforded this scope on my own right now. But it got me hooked. So I will eat Ramen for the next 8 months 5 times a week in order to get a better scope and hopefully look at the rings of Saturn and maybe a nebula or two. After all what is the point of looking up if we cannot at least see Saturn's rings. :P

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a first telescope. Great value on sale!, November 11, 2014
First off a lesson (brief) in telescope. These kinds of telescopes are like binoculars or zoom lens on camera. Lenses focus and magnify the object. The problem comes in with the quality of the lens, and the small tube. Anything you see from space is basically "light" and the key to seeing them is to get light into the telescope. A 2-3" tube is not going to work on a dark night--and then optics are a big issue with focus, abberation, chroma issues, and on and on. This is what separates a 40$ telescope from a 40,000$ telescope. Having said that---There are other kinds which work much better (for lower price budgets) particularly one with a large mirror and 8-12" tube (diameter).

I received this as a gift for birthday in late September. Its fun---you can see the moon surprisingly well, and you can barely barely make out saturns rings on dark night. I must emphasize based on my first paragraph---to see anything, you need light. If you dont have a big telescope, you need all the light you can get, and you also need to eliminate light pollution, which is why observatories are on mountain peaks in the remote areas (or were when they were built).

Take this into the mountains, or in our case, into the desert at night. What you see is astounding vs what you can't see in your backyard. Street lights, car headlights and so on are the death to astronomy so get out of dodge.

You can see mars, venus, saturn rings, jupiter, (the moons- but are tiny specks) Mars, and the moon in spectacular detail. You are not going to see what you see from Hubbel, and you are not going to see big bright colorful galaxys or whatever. You will see dots or a cluster of bright lights.

The other thing that you need when you go, is a very good map of the night sky for your area based on the date. If you have no idea where the things are, it will be frustrating--so practice at home finding the various planets and knowing where they are when they rise, and when they set. For example one might be in the western sky at 7pm, and gone at 1am. So you need to know this.

You do have to do some very basic assembly. The tripod is one part, the telescope is another. You have to attach it to the tripod. When you do this, make sure the screws are all smooth, no little burs or rough spots, and put them in tight enough to hold it securely but not too tight that it will be flopping around. If there are rough spots on the bottom of the screwhead (Not threads), buff them off with a nail file as this could make the movement jerky

Then go have some fun. Its very educational to everyone. I deducted two stars because the tripod was unstable and hard to hold in place (the telescope) when I was trying to focus on something. Also, there should be some basic information like a map of the night sky, a condensation protection device, and=---drum roll, some kind of case or sleeve, nothing fancy but basically what you get is the telescope and the tripod. No filters, no documentation, (a set of very poorly written instructions) no dew protection, no case, nothing that would not add to the price but would make this much better for beginners.

I would DEFINITELY ---get- a case or cover-- and this---Celestron PowerSeeker Accessory Kit Telescope (on amazon 29$)

This will have what you need to see many more objects. Also for dew (condensation) you can use a piece of cardstock. You just wrap it around the end--thats all. The ones made for the telescope are plastic pieces that are shaped /sized to slip over the end. You can look them up, they are about 20$ but seriously a piece of cardstock or manilla folder will do the trick.

Its a good buy--on sale. ENJOY IT.

2.0 out of 5 stars Realistic, April 29, 2012
The only reason this telescope might be labeled an introductory scope is that it will "introduce" inadequacies you will want to avoid next time.
This package is of rather inferior construction and mediocre mechanics--a lot of plastic. I would expect the gambit of similarly priced competitors' scopes to be no better.

The principal deficiency is the shaky mount. When you need to adjust focus, reposition an image, change an eyepiece, or if the breeze rises, the scope shudders badly. By the time it finally settles down some, the image will often have moved out of the view. The focuser shifts position obliquely when adjusting focus back and forth which also shifts the viewed image. This accentuates the shaking problem because one must necessarily spend more time handling the scope to accommodate. The poor mount will sap much enjoyment out of viewing objects in the night sky.

The 90° erecting prism works okay as does the red dot finder (provided you know where in the sky to aim it). Given the price, these are satisfactory.

The package came with 20mm, 10mm and 4mm oculars, and a 3x barlow. The 20 and 10mm eyepieces provide a fair image (again considering the price), though there is chromatic aberration (a rainbow affect). Astronomically, the included 4mm isn't suited for this scope, and the 3x barlow is about useless.

Bright stars do not resolve well, but I was able to get decent views of the moon and degraded images of the planets (it was hard to tell whether the planets were truly in focus because of the constant shuddering.) I was also able to detect the Great Nebula in Orion, M42.

With modifications to the mount and better eyepieces this might be an okay telescope for viewing the moon and planets. You will have to weigh how much you want to invest improving this small aperture model as opposed to buying an instrument of higher quality to begin with.

3.0 out of 5 stars ., July 3, 2012
My old telescope broke, pretty bad. It was a meade that I paid about 400 for.
I just wanted a telescope that was cheap and compatible with the accessories I already had... I shouldn't have went for cheap. The telescope itself isn't TOO bad, I think what makes it bad is the tripod, it's very shaky and feels like it'll bend or break if you're just a little too rough with it. I don't think it's worth getting anything to upgrade it. It works well enough to see Saturn and a few extra details on the moon that you can't see with the naked eye.

It's really hard to locate what you want to see, and stay focused on it. Speaking of focus, as you focus you have to move your head and body back and forth from the 'scope, which gets really irritating and it often messes up the view and you have to find what you were looking for all over again. The finder scope is a waste of space.

This particular 'scope doesn't have good aperture, and you can't use power eyepieces. I started with a 26mm, then 20mm, which didn't really make much of a difference. So I jumped up to a 9.7mm and it was almost unusable. The 4mm and 3X Barlow that it came with are just a joke. The Barlow didn't even try work with with my 26mm...

It's a good telescope to begin with, I guess to show a child a few things to blow its mind for a second, but for someone who is used to or wanting to see some things like nebulae or awesome details of the moon or planets, I would go with something a little more, advanced.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, if you've never looked through a telescope before, or know what you're really doing, this telescope would be an okay start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice Telescope!, December 9, 2013
Just got this scope as an early Christmas present from my Wife. I've not had a telescope since Grade School and am now in my late 50's. To be honest this little scope is sturdier and has an ease of functionality that I only wish the one I used in school had. Set up was fast (maybe 10min.) Took it out side and was focused on the Moon in just a few seconds. Could have spend hours out there were it not for the temperatures out. If you are looking for a nice scope and don't have the big $ or just want one for the fun of it, BUY it.

Celestron 21036 PowerSeeker 70AZ Telescope (Black)
$89.95 $74.99