Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Celestron 21041 60mm PowerSeeker Telescope
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Style: 60AZ Refractor|Change

on June 26, 2012
This was a useless toy. Even as a gift I felt bad at how hard my little brother had to try to get it steady enough to catch a glimpse of the moon. Should've spent a bit more to get him quality. Save your $$.
on March 3, 2013
I am not a professional, or a hobbyist, I just bought the item for my 6 year old daughter so she could look at the moon and stars. The spotting scope is horrible and didn't work at all. And it was hard to find anything so we could look at it. When we finally were able to get the moon in view it was fairly clear and had good magnification, but it was hard to keep in view. The stand and tension apparatus that is supposed to keep the telescope steady when looking does not do a great job. Any minor bump and it is completely lost, this is just a fact of looking at things through magnification. Again I don't do this as a hobby or have any real experience in it, but we bought this in October 2012 and it is now March 2013; after this period we are not happy with the telescope. I bought it because my kids showed an interest in astronomy, and I wanted to foster it. After many unsuccessful tries at looking at stars we settled for the moon. The flaw inevitably subverted my attempts.
on March 31, 2013
I did not know that images would be backwards. They are mirror images. Also tit is really wobbly. The tripod is cheap and loose. There is no way to lock a certain position. One tiny bump and you just lost what you were looking at. The sight scope is hard to align and poorly positioned if your head is normal human sized. The telescope is really light, so even a slight wind makes stars bounce all around. I should have spent a bit more to get a better one.
on May 6, 2013
I read the reviews, as one should, and decided to weed-out the negative ones, based on the price of course. Mistake! This thing is cheap (as in flimsy, plasticky sort of way) and, yes - one can see the moon through it, but that's about it. My daughter is 8 and was excited about her new telescope at first, which we bought her for her birthday. After inspecting the full moon, overcoming the shaky tripod action, she wanted to look at some stars. No luck. Even Venus is way too elusive for this thing. And again - the tripod is simply decorative in nature and character - even slight breeze will cause the monocular to shake.
Bottom line - no good for star gazing product, as should be expected from a seventy dollar piece of optics.
On the positive side - it would do just fine if you ever decide to spy on the neighbor down the street.
on December 26, 2010
I bought this telescope for my niece as a Xmas present. I was a little nervous, but the telescope was successful. She is 11 years old so the telescope was perfect for her. Although,it seemed like the only thing she could see were details of the moon, but that may have been due to the foggy night. Nevertheless, she couldn't stop using it. Overall it was a good buy. She was very happy.
on June 21, 2012
I got the impression that the Celestron 50AZ, 60AZ, and 70AZ, all had correctly oriented images, so I initially bought a 50AZ. The 50AZ is corrected up-down, but is backwards left-to-right. To get a correctly oriented image you need to move up to the 60AZ or 70AZ.

With the 50AZ I also noticed that when the center of the image was in focus the outer ring was distorted or out of focus, so I really could only look at about half the image area.

I have returned the 50AZ and got this 70AZ instead, and am quite happy with it. The image is correctly oriented, and the entire image area is in focus.
on July 20, 2013
I've never used a telescope before, but really wanted to photograph the Supermoon. After shopping around, I found this one. The price is great and the other reviews are good.

I got a great shot of the moon, using my iPhone pressed against this telescope! But be aware that you do get what you pay for. The tripod offers little stability. I found it very difficult to keep the telescope from jittering. Still, it's a good deal!
on March 18, 2015
We bought the Celestron telescope as a Christmas gift for our 8 year old granddaughter. We read the reviews and saw that other grandparents who had bought the item for children even younger than she were satisfied with it. Her father put it together on the first clear night sky we had. He followed the directions carefully, and even went on-line to gain additional information and understanding. They were able to use the finderscope in the daytime to set the crosshairs but were unable to see anything all all in the night sky after several attempts. My husband and I later reassembled the scope, and had the same results. Another son was able to see Venus through the finderscope but only after an hour of fiddling with it. We finally got a neighbor who owns a telescope to come down to see what we were doing wrong. Even he had to spend about two hours trying various combinations before we could view anything on regular magnification. The conclusion we have drawn is that this scope is NOT appropriate for young children. it requires great patience, a steady hand and foot surface, and a willingness to spend a lot of time getting results. Many children would not be able to sustain that time with no immediate results. Unfortunately, we are past the return time, so it will stay in the box until spring weather and time to try it again..
on April 29, 2012
The only reason this telescope might be labeled an introductory scope is that it will "introduce" inadequacies you will want to avoid next time.
This package is of rather inferior construction and mediocre mechanics--a lot of plastic. I would expect the gambit of similarly priced competitors' scopes to be no better.

The principal deficiency is the shaky mount. When you need to adjust focus, reposition an image, change an eyepiece, or if the breeze rises, the scope shudders badly. By the time it finally settles down some, the image will often have moved out of the view. The focuser shifts position obliquely when adjusting focus back and forth which also shifts the viewed image. This accentuates the shaking problem because one must necessarily spend more time handling the scope to accommodate. The poor mount will sap much enjoyment out of viewing objects in the night sky.

The 90° erecting prism works okay as does the red dot finder (provided you know where in the sky to aim it). Given the price, these are satisfactory.

The package came with 20mm, 10mm and 4mm oculars, and a 3x barlow. The 20 and 10mm eyepieces provide a fair image (again considering the price), though there is chromatic aberration (a rainbow affect). Astronomically, the included 4mm isn't suited for this scope, and the 3x barlow is about useless.

Bright stars do not resolve well, but I was able to get decent views of the moon and degraded images of the planets (it was hard to tell whether the planets were truly in focus because of the constant shuddering.) I was also able to detect the Great Nebula in Orion, M42.

With modifications to the mount and better eyepieces this might be an okay telescope for viewing the moon and planets. You will have to weigh how much you want to invest improving this small aperture model as opposed to buying an instrument of higher quality to begin with.
on January 1, 2012
Delivery quick. It was a Christmas present for my grandson.
My son set it up, however, took a little time as there were no
written instructions inside the box.