5.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Astronomical Telescope!
Published on November 2, 2005 by astrowatcher

1.0 out of 5 stars There are better scopes
Published on January 4, 2006 by P. Juncker

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Astronomical Telescope!, November 2, 2005
This review is from: Celestron 21045 114mm Equatorial PowerSeeker Telescope (Electronics)
I am an astronomer on a budget and as I was doing my search, I was advised to buy as much aperture as I can. I decided to get this Powerseeker 114 as it looked like a great value. Because of it's attractive price, I was a bit skeptical. However, when I received the scope, I really liked how much telescope I got, for what I paid. It had everything I needed in a telescope, decent sized aperture, equatorial mount to track celestial movements, 2 eyepieces for low and high magnification and a decent tripod. I certainly got more than I expected. With the 4.5" aperture, I was able to see nice details on the lunar surface, Jupiter and it's moons, Saturn and Mars as well as the Orion nebula. If you are a budding astronomer and you want to get started, you will be happy with this model.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of scope for the price, October 6, 2005
I had a chance to use this telescope at a friends house and I was impressed at everything that came with the telescope especially after he told me what he paid for it. First of all, it came with a 4.5" reflector and as a rule, aperture rules. A 4.5" telescope can deliver good planetary images and faint deep sky objects. When I first looked it over, it was a little shaky but I discovered that he did not tighten properly. After going through and tightening the screws and bolts, it was ready for use. The included eyepiece 20mm was great at 45x and with the use of the 3x barlow produced 225x. 225x I feel is too much. 225x is too much for most scopes and sky conditions.

With the 20mm 45x eyepiece, I can clearly see Jupiter with its moons and Mars with its ice cap. I highly recommend getting the accessory kits so that you can get various magnifications and get more visual detail.

The equatorial mount was a bonus as it made tracking the celestial and planetary objects easier. Once you have used a telescope, you will clearly see that having an equatorial mount is so useful.

This is a good starter scope for someone who wants more of an astronomical telescope. You get a lot of scope, brighter images than smaller 60mm scopes for not a lot of money.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good value for the $$, October 17, 2006
I bought this scope as a b-day gift for my hubby who has never owned a telescope before. It was fairly simple to put together, and we found the directions to be very helpful and accurate.

We first tried to view the moon. The finder was a little tricky and it took us about 30 minutes to get the moon aligned so we could really see all the details. It produced a very crisp image with lots of detail. We have been able to view constellations and a few planets also with this telescope and have been impressed with the clarity of the images. It seems there is a learning curve with the eye pieces and finder. Once you get used to it you can find what you are looking for pretty quickly though.

This telescope is not a professional grade scope, and for someone who has used telescopes before or has owned one it may not be enough scope for them.

We have found it to be very sturdy and were very happy that it came with lots of extras other telescopes in this price range leave out. The software helped us out a lot, and just having an accessory tray to put extra pieces on while viewing is a nice bonus.

For a first time telescope this one is great! I'm very impressed by the quality I got for what I paid.

1.0 out of 5 stars There are better scopes, January 4, 2006
P. Juncker (Toccoa Falls, GA United States) - See all my reviews
My recent Christmas experience with the Celestron Powerseeker 114EQ, my first "real" telescope, was a great disappointment. The assembled telescope looked very impressive but functioned poorly. It came without a detailed instruction manual making it difficult to set up, balance, and aim even for a mechanically inclined novice. The plastic finderscope was very cheap, blurry, and hard to align with the main scope. The "equatorial" (EQ) mount knobs moved the scope with jerky motions at times and the scope itself seemed a bit vibration prone on its tripod. Stellar images were blurry and unimpressive (possibly due to mirror misalignment in shipping and/or manufacturing defect) thus other individual scopes may do better than mine in this category. Newtonian reflector type telescope mirrors go out of alignment ("collimation") fairly easily and this scope came without instructions for how to realign them. I returned the telescope within the 30 day refund period and am looking for a better quality and sturdier one like the highly praised Orion Skyquest series or possibly the smaller and more portable Edmund Scientific Astroscan.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many negatives, February 5, 2005
While the optics of this scope are good, there are quite a few bad things about this telescope. The tripod is shaky, unstable and cheaply produced. The finder scope is flimsy and almost unusable.

The users manual that comes with this scope is not written for beginners. Important topics such as balancing the telescope, polar alignment and collimation (aligning the mirrors) are glossed over and totally unsuitable for a beginner.

I would recommend spending the extra money to buy an Orion Spaceprobe 3 or SPaceprobe 130.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good telescope for the money., September 24, 2007
I must admit that this is my first telescope, but I did play with other telescopes and spotting scopes before.

What other people say about it is true: the mount is shaky, and this is an issue for high magnification modes (more than x45). In fact, even a light wind will cause it to move.
The manual is also very basic, doesn't describe much at all.
However, putting it together is very easy, and shouldn't take more than 30 minutes. The instructions are easy to follow, but you might need some help from another person when you mount it for the first time.

The only thing I really don't like is how heavy and big it is, especially with the tripod extended. If you plan to bring it in every night after you are done with it, then consider the fact that you will need to 'unextend' the tripod, which is hard to do because it is heavy and big. I wish there was an easier way to extend the tripod, without screws.
On the other hand, I got it for less than $150, including shipping, so I can't complain.

The image quality is excellent, and it can be very well used for ground observations, although the image is upside down, and the mount is not really meant for ground observation (EQ mount).
For example, there is a radio relay about 1 mile away, and with the naked eye you can't see much of it. However, with full magnification (675 times) you can see the lighbulb on top of it as if you were just a few meters away. Such high magnification comes with the downside that the image is very dim.

Overall, this is a very nice telescope to have as a hobby, but if you want something better (computerized mount, higher magnification, etc.) then you will have to spend over $500

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this telescope!, September 1, 2007
I purchased one of these telescopes and almost immediately regreted it. The 4mm eyepiece that comes with it is completely useless fo anything but the absolute perfect viewing conditions. The conditions needed for this eyepiece to be useful are very rare. I would recommend that you not go smaller than 5mm for this telescope. The mount is garbage! The finder scope is junk as well. Celestron views this as an entry level telescope and has equiped it with pieces designed to prompt you to quickly replace them, preferably with their products. I have spent over $350 in improvements and I'm not done yet. The mount is extremely sloppy and unstable. The controls get in the way constantly when trying to view objects low on the horizon. The gears inside are very cheap and do not move smoothly. This makes it extremely difficult to locate objects using the Right Assention (RA) and Declination, (Dec) setting circles. Speaking of the setting circles, they are very crude. There is not enough detail to the degree markings on the circles. This forces you to guess at the settings and then search for the object that should be in your eyepiece. The finder scope mount is very loose, making adjustment an exercise in futility. There is almost 1/4" of play between the mount and the bolts that attach the finder scope mount to the telescope tube. The slightest bump puts you out of business, unless you can manage to re-set the finder scope in the dark. The cross-hairs inside the finder scope are invisible at night. Even if you have the finder scope perfectly aligned, at night you still have to guess where the center of the cross-hairs are at. Even if you manage to keep the finder scope from moving on you, you still have to align the finder scope to your telescope. The adjustment screws are not spring loaded and are also cheaply made. You are lucky indeed if you get it aligned properly. The focuser only accepts 1.25 inch eyepieces. This is great from the standpoint that 1.25 eyepieces are cheaper than 2 inch ones because it takes less glass to make the smaller ones. The disadvantage is that if you want eyepieces with wider fields of view, and trust me you will, you need a focuser that will accept both 1.25 and 2 inch eyepieces and accessories. Here is a link to an article I wish I had seen before buying the Celestron Powerseeker 114 EQ, or any other telescope for that matter.

[...]

PLEASE, read this article and do some research before you buy! Find the local astronomical society and go to their next meeting, send them an email, call the president of the club or better yet, attend their next "Star Party". It is the best way to find out what you like, and more importantly, what not to buy. This is especially important with eyepieces, (they can be the biggest part of your total investment). Here's a link to the astronomical society, where you can begin your search for your local club.

[...]

Take the advise of someone who found this out a bit too late. It is better to spend a bit more initially than to buy a cheap telescope and have to improve it almost immediately.

3.0 out of 5 stars its an "alright" telescope, August 21, 2008
set up of the telescope is a breeze. the instructions were clear and also had pictures for reference. it took me about 10 minutes to get it together. i see people complaining the tripod is "unstable" NOT TRUE! its called tightening it! problem solved.
the finder scope is made of plastic but hey, its not your main scope and look at what you paid for. the entire setup does feel cheap but think of it in terms of value.
the entire weight is manageable, not portable but not very heavy.
the direction adjustment knobs stick out way too far for what it does and it might get in your way if your not careful.
now, lets get too the good stuff. WHAT CAN YOU SEE???
my first target was the moon, it was clear and high detail, not a difficult task. i went onto jupiter, pretty much the brightest thing in the sky, you can barely make out the red and cream swirls it has and you can see bright spots around it which are the 6? moons. you cannot see jupiter up close even with double scopes (x20 normal plus the x3 add-on). the image isnt the clearest but hey, terms of value.
if you are serious about getting into astronomy, move along with a different telescope. if you are looking for something to have some quick fun with friends and family, this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent beginning scope., December 27, 2005
I received this telescope for Christmas and I must say after waiting two nights to use it I am impressed. My first target was M42 Orion's Nebula and the K20 eyepiece gave me a mesmerizing view of this amazing stellar nursery. The mount does have some shakiness to it but, it's nothing that can't be overlooked. I have the updated scope so it came with a metal focuser which is a big plus. The 3x Barlow is okay with the 20 but is useless with the 4 as is the 4mm eyepiece itself. If you are thinking of getting a more expensive scope of this size I recommend getting this and buying a 25mm Plossl eyepiece and a 2x Barlow and possibly a 7.5mm eyepiece (planetary and moon viewing) for the extra money you would spend on a more expensive scope.

2.0 out of 5 stars OK telescope, but ..., March 6, 2010
I bought this telescope for my son as a starter telescope. The price was quite reasonable and it seems like a reasonable telescope. Well, appearances are not all that they seem to be. We put it together, which was quite simple, and noticed a couple of things right away. The instructions are reasonably clear and assembly was quite easy. The tripod is a bit wobbly if you don't tighten everything up and the rotary base of the telescope has a bit too much slack. That makes aiming a bit tricky. The finder scope pretty useless. The finder base has two elongated holes in it for the mounting and is always getting knocked out of alignment. It also feels really cheap, especially since the plastic base used to mount it to the telescope is hollow underneath and can't really be tightened adequately without breaking it. Still, what do you expect from a telescope that cost under $100.

There are also some shortcomings in the hardware. The biggest problem is the elevation adjustment screw. The screw started to gall after only three uses. Fortunately I had some very high tech (and high cost) teflon grease (it's called Krytox and it's $35 for two ounces)that pretty much stopped the galling. Also, there is excess slack in the rotary base that fits into the tripod. If you tighten it enough to pull out most of the slack, you can't turn it. Not a good start.

The big disappointment was looking at the stars and moon. After setting it up and aligning the finder scope, the stars were horizontal smears and the moon was fuzzy: lunar features were indistinct. Checking into it, I found tat the collimation was completely off. The secondary reflector was far out of position and the main mirror was adjusted to compensate for the problems with the secondary mirror. After about 3 hours of fidgeting with the secondary mirror, taking the main mirror off twice and putting crossed strings on the end of the main tube to aim the secondary mirrors, and purchasing a laser collimator, the telescope is now pretty clear. Distant stars look like points of light and not smears and details are now in focus on the moon. We haven't tried much else yet, but a starter telescope should have reasonably clear images so that a neophyte doesn't get discouraged right away by poor image quality. I expect to spend another $100 or more on optics to get some standard screw-on filters and eyepieces that will accept standard filters instead of the "it-fits-Celestron-only" variety that Celestron sells. In retrospect, I would look for a somewhat better quality telescope rather than spend my way up to what I should have bought in the first place.

Celestron 21045 114mm Equatorial PowerSeeker Telescope