Questions & Answers
Celestron PowerSeeker 80EQ Telescope
by Celestron
4.1 out of 5 stars (47)
$99.09
Add to cart
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 questions
vote
Yes, yes, and yes. Most of the lenses are junk, but I was able to see see Jupiter and Saturn pretry well. Also, good luck lining up the finder scope. Still good for the price, though.
Nov 24, 2013 by Xan I.
vote
Yes this is a refractor, and no there is usually no need for collimation for refractor scopes. Now with that being said you should have little problem using this sope for photo's. Although it does come with a mount on the top of the scope for small cameras to be used as a "piggyback". The correct photo adaptor can be found on most sites that sell telescopes. I don't know what camera you have but a dslr is what you need to be able to pick up faint nebula in your photos. From what i know converting this mount to gps would be more trouble than it is worth. Celestron sales go-to mounts that could be used on this scope but you looking at more money. This scope is a great buy though and there is enough info in the contained manual to teach you how to use the eq mount that comes standard. I have no problems at all learning how to use the mount and this is my first scope that i have bought. Now i did have a 50mm refractor when i was a kid i must say this scope is a good bang for your buck. Best thing to do i guess would be to call celestron and see what you would need to use your camera with this. I personally see no need for a go-to because you need to learn your way around the sky yourself without automated computers. The motor drive would track for you to make long exposure photo's if you decide to buy this. Best of luck and clear skies.
Nov 22, 2013 by Justin Herron
vote
The scope comes with a 20mm and a 4mm eyepiece. I bought the accessory kit with a 9mm and 15mm eyepiece and filters.
Dec 1, 2014 by Dennis
votes
Yes it sure can, but you will want to get a correct image diagonal along with your order. The reason i say this is because the diagonal that comes with this causes a mirror image. Terrestrial viewing would be reversed from left to right with the standard star diaganol. This is kinda where all telescope companies get ya. They almost always include a reversed image prism diaganol with the scopes they sell. To point you in the direction for a good diaganol i would say search for "Orion correct image diaganol". Probably gonna set you back another 80 bucks but thats what you would need to see land veiws in the correct orientation. I also suggest gettin a 32mm eyepiece for land viewing. Because the supplied eyepieces are moderate high power and just to much for land viewing. You could also get a good deal by buying the "Astromaster Accesory kit" its what i bought when i ordered mine. This is if you intend on doing astronomy. Bottom line if you are just buying this for land i would not purchase this. Because you will need that correct image diaganol and some lower power eyepieces and your looking at $220 just to get started. It would much more logical if you were only wanting to do land viewing to buy a spotting scope or zoom binoculars. If you went the binocular route i suggest the celestron 10-30x50 upclose binoculars. You can then buy a generic 60" camera tripod and a binocular tripod adaptor for much less than a telescope. I think a tripod will be around $15-$20 and the adaptor is like $8 "Konus". The celestron zoom binos are like 40 bucks so. The binoculars would do well for looking at the moon, jupiter, venus, mars, mercury, and the sun granted you buy two solar filters for them. You can also see a handful of nebulae and brighter galaxies with just a regular pair of 10x50 binos.
Dec 23, 2013 by Justin Herron
votes
The main body metal and focus pieces are metal with plastic knobs.
Dec 5, 2014 by Stephanie K.
votes
I bought it as a gift for my husband last Xmas he seems pleased with it but has not done much more then tinker with it. He spent a lot of time checking the moon out. Hope that helps!
Nov 25, 2013 by Andrea C.
votes
I never got it, I had to cancel the purchase after a month of waiting
Mar 12, 2015 by Carlos Sansores
votes
can i take pictures Dec 2, 2014
The tripod is shaky but the telescope is amazing, crystal clear and easy to focus. My family spent Christmas night taking turns studying the moon, would make great photos if you know how to attach the camera to the eye piece and hold the telescope steady.
Dec 31, 2014 by talonvamp
votes
When the legs are fully extended the mount is about four feet above the ground. You will need a seat for viewing objects higher than 45 degrees above the horizon.
Nov 26, 2014 by Gustav Mahler
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers