4.0 out of 5 stars Great Starter Refractor Telescope
The Celestron Astromaster 90Az Refractor telescope is a great little starter scope. Well I shouldn't really say "little" as it is about 3ft long or so. The Altazimuth tripod is perfect for beginners as you just use it like a normal camera tripod. I prefer this much more than an equatorial mount for quick viewing. If you are new to amateur astronomy you should do some...
Published on October 31, 2010 by Archimedes

3.0 out of 5 stars Good optics, but undermounted & poor finder scope
The optics on this scope are very good, as are the eyepieces provided, but the AZ tripod's mount is not sturdy enough. The mount needs slow motion controls for both altitude and azimuth. I would buy the EQ mounted 90mm Astromaster refractor over the AZ mount, but even then, the OTA will probably be undermounted, as this is a long tube of 1000mm length. The finderscope...
Published on March 4, 2012 by Aaron

5.0 out of 5 stars Variety of Eyepieces Really Makes this Telescope, March 15, 2013
This review is from: Celestron 21063 AstroMaster 90 AZ Refractor Telescope (Electronics)
Great telescope for the price. I have a 20mm, 10mm, 25 and 10mm wide angle, and a 2x's Barlow and so have a huge variety of options for my viewing pleasure. It's tripod and easily maneuverable while looking through the eyepiece and it is great for locating and viewing objects both close and far. I also have the 135mm Celestron 5 1/2 inch Reflector for more powerful viewing and interchange them with the same tripod. The thing I like about the reflector is I don't have to bend way down to look into the scope at higher objects in the sky like the refractor. I got mine about 5 years ago so the tripod might be different. I also took exchanged the 3 accessory tray mounts from the 135mm and if I don't attach the tray (who needs it anyway), the legs fold together for easy transport in a car.

4.0 out of 5 stars For a newbie, nice telescope. Mounting is a little frustrating., July 6, 2012
The Dawdler (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
So far, so good. We are new to telescopes and this is our first foray. So far we've been able to see a stunning image of the moon. Setup was very easy. I have only one complaint so far. The telescope will not stay at exactly the point you have aimed at as you tighten the tripod arm which secures the vertical position. So basically when you finish tightening, as soon as you let go, the tube will move up slightly. This is very frustrating especially with higher magnification as you have to compensate for this effect sometimes to the point where your target is not even in view so that when you finish tightening it moves up to your desired target. Considering the very reasonable price, I'm not going to lose sleep over it but I know that I'll probably want to get a more stable tripod soon. Or maybe I'm missing something here, but doesn't seem like it.

[UPDATE] It's the next night. It's IMPOSSIBLE to tighten the panhandle without raising the altitude. For viewing the moon it's just an annoyance. For viewing planets at 50x (with the 20mm eyepiece) it's a MAJOR challenge to keep your target in view as you tighten (but I was able to get a stunning view of Saturn -- the optics are very crisp). Viewing planets or any individual star or group of stars at 100x is well nigh impossible because of the way that the altitude changes as you tighten the panhandle. To view planets at 100x you will need a better tripod mount. Lowering my rating to 3 stars. :(

[ANOTHER UPDATE] The problem is too much vertical play in the azimuth which throws off altitude. Making sure the azimuth is completely tightened before adjusting altitude helps. But it does not solve the problem. Not sure there's anything to be done except get a better tripod mount.

[ONE MORE UPDATE] Celestron customer service has been great. Service is part and parcel of a product, so I re-up to four stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great telescope marred by horrible mount, September 29, 2014
dods (Redondo Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This is truely an incredible telescope with great optics, all glass no plastic. At 90mm x 1000mm you will have less color distortion than a scope with a larger apeture and shorter length. Ive take this scope to 200x magnification and had crystal clear views of the Moon and Saturn; Jupiter will have to wait a few months for 200x, but is clear at 166x using a 6mm eye piece. Focusing is very smooth and precise. Even the tripod is sturdy with stainless steel legs, but what knocks this scope down a star is the horrible mount. Tracking a planet using any magnification past the 20mm eyepiece - 50x - is a pain in the @$$. This scope is good enough to spend the money on a better mount - which is what I did. If your into deep space observation this would not be your scope; but, if the Moon and planets hold your interest than there is no need to spend a fortune on some gigantic telescope when atmospheric conditions rarely allow for greater than 200x magnification anyway.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Telescope with a very Bad Tripod Stand, December 10, 2013
I am giving these 3 stars purely due to the Tripod stand that I received. Unable to keep the focus in place and keeps on shaking and moving from the target.
If you intend to buy these telescope, do check for other type of Tripod Stand.

5.0 out of 5 stars telescope, March 15, 2012
Very good quality, meets all that it described. A great start for anyone starting out in astronomy. Arrived in good condition in the time stated.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Scope for Astronmy., May 29, 2014
I bought this telescope for the telescope and not the mount. I transferred this telescope to an equitorial mount. The equitorial mount also has a motor drive with slow motion controls for the R.A axis. This makes this a very good scope for astronomy, and astrophotography. I am very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great telescope!, April 5, 2012
It was super easy to put together. Right away my two boys and I took it outside to see the moon and the hillside during the day. The moon was much more exciting.
Later that night we looked at the moon again, which they thought we VERY bright compared to during the day. We also saw Jupiter, which was not full, Sirus (I think) which was electric blue and magenta- So Cool!! Mars which was pretty small and then I put it on Saturn and they both looked at me bug-eyed after they saw it with the rings around it. They said "WOW! That is so cool!"
This product was really easy to put together and self explanitory to use. We'll be using it to keep track of what's going on in the night skies, as we have lots more to see. We haven't checked out the CD that came with it yet though.
I purchased this product from telescope.com the customer service rep. was excellent and very informative!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, awesome value, January 16, 2014
This was a gift for my wife who is extremely pleased with the telescope. It replaces and surpasses another telescope. She has used it to introduce our grandson to astronomy. I was impressed with the price comparing it to shops in our vicinity that were charging quite a bit more.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, January 13, 2013
For the price and the size, I don't think this telescope delivers what is expected.
The star pointer is incomprehensible.
The motion of adjusting the telescope's view is not smooth. You must over adjust to get the telescope to return to the view you want.
I was not impressed with the magnification. Viewing the moon, planets or items on land were not as I hoped.

5.0 out of 5 stars gift, October 14, 2013
use all time. love it when my grandson says he uses it all the time. Great pass time for him

Celestron 21063 AstroMaster 90 AZ Refractor Telescope