4.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for the buck
Published on December 10, 2009 by Philip Washington

3.0 out of 5 stars Great range spotter but not so good for other uses.
Published 17 months ago by partyparty

4.0 out of 5 stars Best bang for the buck, December 10, 2009
This review is from: Celestron 52252 100mm Ultima Zoom Spotting Scope (Electronics)
I use this as a spotting scope for target shooting. So far everything I've looked at and worked with gets dicey at about 500 yds. It just depends on the conditions. But a rule of thumb is if the sun is out and you aren't being barraged with thermals you should be able to see at minimal 500 yds. So far I have not been disappointed in what I got for the price. When there are no thermals and good light, I can see very well at 500yds.

I also like it's field of view. I was actually watching 4 targets the last time out without moving the scope. These are 12" x 12 " targets.

I have a Schmidt and Bender 56mm scope and it's brightness and optics are actually better, but we are comparing a $2000 + set of optics to a < $500 set of optics. I also have a NightForce 56mm scope and I would compare it's brightness as a little better.

I have had quite a number of people use my scope for spotting and they are really amazed at it's performance vs cost. So I would say that if these guys would put in a MOA or mildot reticle, they could sell quite a few more to people who are in the sport of long distance shooting.

At 600 yds on a good day like the last, I think this would have been fine. But no matter what scope you get, there are going to be some days you just have to walk up.

The only reason I gave it 4 stars is that it doesn't have a hash reticle option, and the optics are really not the best. But I think price vs performance this is a keeper. So far I haven't run into anyone who could see something I couldn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great scope for the money, September 21, 2011
I just received this scope a couple of days ago and couldn't be happier. My primary use is for birding near the ocean in Maine where our campsite overlooks the mile wide marsh and estuary. The detail on the birds is amazing even at long distances and I can even read the license plate numbers on cars parked a mile away. Last night I was out with my 8" telescope and even took a look at Jupiter with this spotting scope and was able to see the two cloud bands and all four moons easily in great detail. This is my second Celestron optical device. I also have a pair of Celestron binoculars and the image quality and construction on both is superb. I've looked at several spotting scopes ranging from $200 to $2000 and believe this one is a great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent scope, especially for the price, August 6, 2010
We have used this scope so far to spy on birds, and to take looks at the moon. It feels very sturdy without being too heavy to carry on a trail to a bird blind. The images are very crisp, clear and bright especially if you are not zoomed in all the way. Once you start to zoom, it does get a little less crisp, but nonetheless, it still is a very clear image of whatever critter you are trying to watch. I would buy one of these again. I would have expected that I would have to pay a lot more money for something of this quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Celestron 52252 Spotting Scope, March 30, 2011
Very bright and crisp images. The 100 mm objective is worth the extra price, bulk and weight. Be aware, though, the scope needs a sturdy tripod. My suggestion: don't buy a tripod until you receive the scope. I have used it for night sky viewing and wildlife and it is quite impressive. It is too bulky for my purposes at the range, but with a suitable tripod it would be ideal at the 100 yd line. Way overkill for the 25 and 50 yard line. Get a good tripod!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great range spotter but not so good for other uses., February 27, 2013
So, I went to the range with my new Ruger 10/22TD rifle and started plinking away at a small target 100 yards away, using a nice 3-9 Pentax riflescope. After a few shots, shooting this very small diameter ammo, I realized that I was either missing the target completely, or the holes in the target were too small to see, even with my riflescope set on 9x power. After the first session was over, I did the 100 yards walk and was pleasantly surprised to see many holes on the target, some very close to the center. I then embarked on quite a lot of research to find a suitable spotting scope. My criteria was that I wanted something to use on the range and also to use for general enjoyment, including terrestrial and star gazing. After reading many reviews, I decided that this particular scope, with its huge 100mm objective (front) lens offered the best design for multi uses.
1/ On the range, it is superb. Those small .22 round holes on the target stand out sharply at 100yds and more. Score 10/10.
2/ For terrestrial viewing, it is very average. Like all spotters, it is more comfortable to use in the lower magnification range. The 100mm lens brings in a lot of light, but could be sharper. Score 7/10.
3/ Astronomy. Pointing it at Saturn, I could see 4 of its moons. However, not very impressed by the scope's clarity when looking at the moon. Score 6/10

Overall, my wife and I were disappointed by the sharpness of the optics and also the fairly shallow depth of focus. It is excellent as a shooting range spotter, but so-so for terrestrial and astronomical uses. However, it is probably better than many other spotters out there, especially ones with 80mm or 60mm objective lenses. There is a big jump in price to the high-end Kowa's, where the overall performance is outstanding. We now only use this spotter for the range, where it is good, but less fun to use elsewhere.

The included bag offers good rain protection, but is not padded. Scope can be used while inside its bag. The scope's construction is impressive and the zoom and focus wheels turn smoothly and feel good quality. Nice looking item, nice finish and good value. You would have to pay more than double to get a better scope. I noticed that Celestron offers the same scope with a much more expensive eye-piece. Possibly greatly improves sharpness.

Get a good quality, stable tripod that rigidly supports this big spotter. Also, don't lose the front lens cover, because it falls off easily.

Finally, a very well constructed scope. Perfect for the range. However, if you are an avid bird watcher, you will need to spend much more to get much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Spotting Scope, September 27, 2012
Steven M. Brown (Gaston, North Carolina United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this spotting scope to replace one that had only a 60mm objective lens and was a 20x60 zoom magnification.My old spotting scope did not perform well at all at higher magnifications.Images became increasingly difficult to see as you increased the magnification because of the amount of light that was lost. At anything around 100 meters a 22 caliber bullet hole on a white background was difficult to distinguish and on a black background could not be seen at all.The Celestron with the 4 inch(100mm)objective lens eliminates all of the light loss problems.This is a really awesome piece of glass for target shooting.I can now see 22 bullet holes at 300 meters.
One word of caution.Do not buy a cheap tripod to use with this spotting scope.Any light weight or medium duty tripod will not hold this beast steady.I would think that a video tripod would be the way to go for bird watching and nature studies.I made the support for mine since I only use it for target shooting.I used a 6 inch steel c-clamp and a 3/4 inch solid brass rod all bolted together with a sturdy ball head mounted on the brass rod.This whole contraption is then mounted to a concrete shooting bench.I tried initially to use a medium duty carbon fiber tripod(100 dollar range)but it was just not up to my needs for stability(close but no cigar)All in all this is the best spotting scope I have seen at the range where I shoot.It is large, and very nice to view thru when mounted on a steady and stable support.I would highly recommend this spotting scope to anyone that needs plenty of light coming down the tube.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, November 25, 2010
I'm very impressed with this scope. I was able to look through a few very expensive spotting scopes and this one preforms as well as some that were over $1500. The guys at the range could not believe the price when I told them what it cost. If your looking to purchase a spotting scope and are looking for a great bargain, this is it.!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.49 stars. the best value spotting scope out there bar none., December 21, 2012
the only reason i'm dinging this scope at all is that the large lens cap that came with it doesn't fit the scope right or its ridge is damaged such that it barely fits on it and falls off if you sneeze or look at it wrong. so total F for the lens cap....but the scope!!!

the scope itself is so worth well beyond the money. i stared through leupolds and vortexes that were many many times the price of this scope while shopping around, but based on the reviews here at amazon decided wth, i'll give this celestron a try. i had purchased a celestron microscope for my kids in the past and was impressed with its quality so i thought why not. well, i'm so glad i didn't shell out 4 digits for a more expensive scope because this scope delivers. the quality of glass amazed me. it was very very clear. at 150 yards and less i could CLEARLY see .223 holes made on WHITE paper. when you get further, you can still see it but like all scopes once you have to zoom out too far, the shake makes it harder to see. i took this scope to the range with my friends--one of whom had the 4 digit vortex scope which was definitely quality, but provided no better of a view than my celestron. seriously, no better of a view. they looked equally clear and had the same zoom. we spotted each other for hitting big steel targets at 300 and 400+ yards!

back at home, the spotting scope also works beautifully to look at stars or bird watch with the kids.

you absolutely need to get a quality tripod for a any spotting scope and this one is no exception. in fact, make sure your tripod is sturdy. as you can see, this scope is very front heavy and you don't want to tip over. also, there are camera adapters available for this scope so you can take pictures of your spotting scope view. i haven't tried this yet but mean to in the future.

this scope is one of my "phew!" purchases of the year. the kind where you take a chance and are just beyond satisfied. very very happy with it! it is perfect for the shooting range.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, February 22, 2012
Very happy with this, great value for money . At 22x the image is bright, gorgeous and beautiful but it doesn't really do 66x as advertised. I use it for spotting shipping (and the occasional whale or dolphin) from a veranda overlooking the ocean. I need to read fishing licences, names and registration details off ships at up to 1.5kms. It can do this but I have found that while the readability improves from 22x to about 38x the resolution actually decreases after that and I never use it from 40-66x, there is no point. Maybe it would have been better to have optimised it for 22-40x. Nevertheless, 66x is extreme and the range in which it works well is actually what I need. To get a genuine 66x you would have to pay $1-2,000 and the image will still be dark at 66x100mm. I bought it with the Altazimuth tripod and that has proved to be a good match and balance except that the tripod out of the box cannot be depressed below the horizontal and I need it to look down onto the ocean, I worked around it and it ended up fine with up to 8D depression. I like that the scope can be operated on the tripod with the carry case permanently fitted; because it stays mounted on an open veranda 24/7, that affords a bit more protection. We had a cyclone and I took it inside, otherwise it is happy to stay out there. I like it, very happy, does a great job, very happy with the 100mm lens in the dusk, the image at 22x is brighter than the real thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing is Great..., October 2, 2012
This is a great scope..it has amazing quality, except when you zoom in to the maximum..you can still see..but without a good tripod, its hard to keep it still. For the price...If you are going to look at the moon and stars then I would recommend buying the different filters available. Also the camera attachment would not be a bad idea also.I have taken some pretty nice photos of full moon and stars. Im telling you the quality is just amazing. I dont think there is anything better...for the price.

Celestron 52252 100mm Ultima Zoom Spotting Scope