Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports STEM

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon December 22, 2011
I purchased the Celestron 71008 SkyMaster 25x70 Binoculars on a whim when they were available for $59.99. I already own several pairs of binoculars including the Celestron 15x70 SkyMasters. The 25x70 SkyMasters are very powerful, and have decent optics. There are several drawbacks though. The 25x70 Skymasters have a very narrow field of view, even compared to the 15x70's. For astronomical use, you're going to need a good tri-pod, as they are very heavy, and next to impossible to hold steady enough by hand. Even with a good tri-pod, the included tri-pod bracket is not very good, and will cause the binoculars to shake with any kind of vibration. The optics on the binoculars are good, but not great. In this price range, the optics are more than satisfactory. If you're on a budget and looking for very powerful binoculars, then I recommend the 25x70's as long as you know the limitations. Personally, I think the Celestron 15x70 SkyMasters are a better choice. They have a much wider field of view, and are a little easier to use without a tri-pod.

Edit: Just to add 1 tip. Regardless if you wear eyeglasses or not, if you roll down the eyecups, you'll get a much wider/better field of view. The eyecups aren't an issue on the 15x70 Skymasters, but rolling them down on the 25x70's makes a great deal of difference.
77 comments| 188 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2010
I have a lifelong interest and love of astronomy but I am still a novice when it comes to using binoculars and telescopes. After reading several reviews and product comparisons on Amazon I selected the Celestron SkyMaster 25 x 70 Binocular as my first binocular specifically designed for night time skywatching. I am very pleased with this binocular and I recommend it to other beginners. Based on the reviews I have read I think it would also be a good binocular for more advanced users. I recommend purchasing a sturdy tripod designed to hold this type of binocular because it can feel a bit heavy after holding it with your hands for several minutes. Celestron makes one and it is the one that I purchased. I am also pleased with the tripod. It is sturdier than the one I use for a camera and the mount seems sufficient for the size and weight of this particular binocular. The Celestron tripod also has features that allows the user to track the movement of the moon by manually repositioning the binoculars without having to remove the binoculars from the tripod. Both the binocular and tripod are easy to setup and use. During my first and second use, I focused on the moon and I was able to see it clearly and with detail (visible craters, etc.). The light coming into the binocular is sufficient for my "over the age of 50" eyes and eye-sight. The images appear bright and clear. Even as a novice I was able to setup quickly, start viewing night time objects right away, and I even able to take pictures through the lens (which I will try to post on this ad).
review image review image review image
44 comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2013
I originally gave these four stars because the focus has play in it. I bumped them up to 5 stars because of the low price and the fantastic astronomical views. They stay in the focus you put them in, but the play occurs only during adjustment. My 16x50 is much better for daytime sight seeing.

1. The eyepiece lens is 23mm, vs 18mm for my Nikon Aculon 16x50, 16mm for my Celestron 10x50, and 13mm for my Tasco 7x35. Despite this, they have the same eye relief as the smaller binoculars, and also a moderately smaller apparent field of view.
2. I followed the exit pupil, drew a triangle, and quickly and accurately measured the apparent field of view of the Celestron 25x70 to be only 57.5 degrees, and that is the maximum no matter where your eye is. My Nikon's are 61 degrees, my Celestron 10x50 is 60 degrees, and my Tascos are 58 degrees. Visual observation confirms these math measurements.
3. They are noticeably heavier than my other binos, but not a lot.
4. They are easy to hand hold very steady in the day time, without resting my elbows on anything. At night it is much better to have something to brace my elbows on.
5. They look like they are good quality, other than the thin strap.
6. They are 10.4 inches long, and 8 inches wide.
7. There depth of focus is less than that of lower powered binoculars, so I really have to adjust them as I aim around at stuff terrestrially at different distances. These are better for astronomy than for birding. My 10x and lower did not need to be adjusted much unless I looked at something really close. My 16x is in between, but still pretty forgiving.
8. The focus is smooth but has a short lag, and requires diopter adjustment of the right eye to compensate for the lag. In cold weather, the focus wheel is tighter than any of my other binos, but still reasonable enough to turn.
9. I am a bit near sighted, so I get a closer near focus at around 50 or 60 feet instead of the advertised 75 ft. My nikons near focus at 18 ft, not their advertised 28 ft.

As many other reviewers already said, the eyepiece barrels seem too big around, and pinch my nose if I try to get closer to the eyepiece. However, if I carefully measure the interpupilary distance, I can place them so I see the full field of view without the pinch. It just does not come as naturally as with my 10x50. I separated them to see if getting one eye closer would give a bigger field of view, but it did not. I guess how close I get is close enough. It just feels weird them being that far out on my nose and making that third point of contact like that. Edit: next day: I'm getting used to the new feeling.

The correct place to hold these binoculars is by the barrels in front of the prisms. That is how to get steadier views. Better yet, slouch down in a chair and put your elbows on the arm rests. Then all you'll see is your heart beat.

I looked at a distant light, and compared its size to the Nikon's 16x. I find it very believable the Celestrons are 25x.

The field of view is not as wide as advertised. The apparent field of view is 57.4 degrees, not 61. The belt of Orion just barely fits in the view. The moon is 30% of the view. The true field of view is 2.4 degrees, not the advertised 2.7 degrees.

The arms of the eyepiece adjuster also have some wiggle in them causing a 1/4 inch delay when turning the adjuster wheel. I have had to re-adjust the right diopter even when I did not touch the center wheel, indicating it might be moving a bit. But it does not take long to get back into focus. There is also a flare visible off to the side of the exit pupil, though I don't see it during astronomy.

Despite these flaws, I can't subtract a star at only $70 shipped. These binoculars are a league above my 10x50 for astronomical viewing, at least in terms of looking at individual targets. A telescope has many advantages, but these are grab and go. However, to see the phase of Venus, you need to stop down the aperture and sit down to brace your view.
-------------------------

I easily saw the correct shape of the Orion nebula on a half moon when my 10x50 could see nothing.
I could see the dark side of the half moon, whereas my 10x50 could only see the bright side. My 16x50 also saw the dark side.
Jupiter looks much bigger in the 25x70, but I may need to reduce the aperture to see the stripes. I can see bands on Jupiter 114mm f8 Newtonian telescope at 28x, but I can't see bands at 25x in the binoculars.
The Pleiades look much better in the 25x70 than in the telescope or my other binoculars.
The double cluster in Perseus is clearly visible in the 25x70, and looks tiny with an almost stellar core in my 10x50.
Andromeda, M31, looks better, with M32 and M110 noticeable by it, and very hard to see in my 10x50.
I can see a tiny ring around Saturn at 28x in my telescope, but at 25x, I sometimes see a ring around Saturn and sometimes I don't. On the day that I could see a ring, my 16x50 detected ears.
I can see M13 and other globular clusters as small fuzzy balls. I could find them in my 16x, but smaller. In my 10x, I can locate most of them, but they look like stars. Maybe I can detect a little fuzz on M13. In my 7x, I can't locate most of them, but I can see M13 and maybe a few others, though I don't remember.
All of my observing was hand held, unbraced.
I could point them at whatever I wanted and hit my targets just fine. I had trouble hitting Andromeda right away because I could not see it naked eye.
M82 and M81 are easy to identify in my 25x70 as I sweep over them. I can see the cigar shape of M82 in my 16x50 too, though I can't find either one in my 10x50.
I can see a mountain range on the moon in the 25x70 when my elbows are braced. I've not yet found it in my 16x50.
Airplanes look bigger but take longer to find in my 25x70.
At 25x, you can't tell where you are in the sky from the star orientations. You just have to point and look, and you know where you are when you see the object you are looking for. At 16x, I can pan around from bright star to bright star and figure out where I am by memory. At 10x, I can see some bright stars in the same field of view, but have to pan for others. And at 7x, you can easily see where you are.
I actually think my view of M31 was more enjoyable in a 15x70 than in these 25x70, though I know the Orion nebula is better at 25x. It keeps getter better even at 60x.
M33 can be located at lower power, but the 25x70 gave the best view, giving maybe a hint of spiral structure.
44 comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2016
I own both the Celestron 15x70 and 25x70 binoculars. After comparing both here is WHAT I'VE COME UP WITH:

Both binoculars excel and have a clear crisp view. The optics are truly amazing at this price point! I did have to send back a set of the 25x70's due to interior dust being seen as I looked through them, but Amazon sent me a new pair no problem. Both binoculars use the same body. The 25x70's are a touch shorter (1/4 inch) in length due to shortening of the Ocular (eye) to the Objective lens distance. The 25x70's also have a larger Ocular lens due to the increased magnification. Both binoculars need a tripod (especially the 25x70's which are more effected by shaking). GET A 70" or greater TRIPOD! I have a 60" tripod and I'm a short5'5" but when something is near 90 degrees over your head the "60 height of the tripod won't cut it.

I posted an example of the magnification and the Field of View difference between the 15x70 (1st Pic) and the 25x70 (2nd Pic). As you can see the 25x70 gives you a greater MAGNIFICATION but the trade off is the FIELD OF VIEW which is greater with the 15x70's. The actual views through the bino's are sharper as the cellphone doesn't do it justice.

LOOKING AT OBJECTS: In looking a celestial objects the MOON totally fills the frame with the 25x70's. The 4 Galilean moons of JUPITER (yes you can seem) look great in both set of binos. Another thing I love to look at are AIRPLANES. With the use of a tripod I was able to see and follow JETS at 35,000 ft. IT IS A MARVEL! The 25x70's work well here as I can read the writing on the planes.

MY RECOMMENDATION: I would choose the 25x70's. The 25x70's are $3 more so why not go for more magnification. The wider field of view on the 15x70's does allow a better "hand-held" experience but you are still going to need a tripod for celestial viewing no matter which bino's you buy.

ALSO: Both the 25x70 and the 15x70 come with a tripod adapter but I'd upgrade to a METAL one as these binos are heavy. The Barska adapter is metal with a larger rubber tightening screw and is only $8 (see photo). I'd also get some Field Optics Research Binocular EyeShields ($14) to help keep out peripheral light in daytime viewing (see photo).
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on February 2, 2015
I bought these to replace my old hunting binoculars. I have not had the chance to take them hunting but when I do I will update this review.

I have used them to observe the moon and Jupiter. I was blown away to see the 4 moons of Jupiter. I also pointed them at my across the street neighbors air conditioner and was able to read the information on a small sticker.

I initially had trouble getting a single clear picture everything I looked at had 2 images. I contacted tech support and they were ready to send me out a new set. I found them to be prompt and friendly. Oh and they are based in AMERICA! The problem however was user error and an exchange was not necessary.

The 25x70 DO come with a tripod mount, but as many people point out it's not good enough to keep the binoculars stable. I fixed this with 2 rubber washers (cost 80 cents). Its not a prefect solution but its good enough.

I read where someone said a mono pod would work to stabilize the binoculars... NOPE, not even with the washers. You really need a tripod for these.

I bought a snapzoom thought it would make it easier for my kids to see objects. The snapzoom doesn't really fit due to the center focus-er. You have to set it up using the single lens configuration. even then its not good. This is more a reflection of the snapzoom not the binoculars. Save your money, and get a nice tripod.

The lens rubber protesters are nice. The black "deluxe" case it comes in is a step up from a plastic bag you get from the grousers.

Over all these are really nice. I'm really happy with them, and would recommend with to anyone. I would buy these again. In fact I'm so pleased with them I'm looking at other Celestron optics. Their 15x70 look cool, and they have several award winning telescopes that wont break the bank.

Enjoy I hoped this helps
review image review image
on June 2, 2013
At the price these are - well amazing doesn't cover it. Because at any price these are totally remarkable. Anyone picking on them in any way has personal issues. Do not listen. If you want to see a long way, totally clear - pull the trigger. I have had my pair for years and gave them as a house present when I stayed with someone in a penthouse in Panama. I am buying another pair - exact same ones. I use them when I fly - remarkable. Just buy them and go someplace where you can use them and have more fun than you can shake a stick at. Extraordinary craftsmanship.
on April 21, 2011
For the price, these are super powerful binoc's. BE SURE TO FOLD THE EYE PIECE RUBBER CUPS BACK AROUND THE EYE PIECES or the focal plane will be wrong! The eye piece rubber cups push your eyes away from the focal plane and you see two little far away views. Once folded back, you can really see the full field of view power of these glasses. They are so powerful, the tripod adapter that comes with the set is a must to stabilize the view.

Pros: Super Powerful! Tripod adapter. Lens covers. Carrying case. Great for astronomical or distant resolution. Very good focus and high resolution. Super low price.
Cons: Big. Heavy. But what did you expect? Size matters! Good buy!
on December 28, 2014
I have the 15 x 70's myself and wanted to get my dad a better pair for Christmas so I bought the 26 x 70 for him. I can see just as good out of the 15 x 70 and the eye cups on the 15's are much better. These seem to be made for those Japanese anime characters with the really big eyes. I'm not an optics authority but having both pair to compare side by side I feel the 15 x 70's have the same magnification and feel better to use and they are cheaper.
on October 18, 2015
The 3rd large Skymaster Binos I've acquired and likely to become my favorite. Also have 15x70 and 20x80. About the same feel as my beloved 15x70 and I can hold steady enough for short glimpses without use of tripod. Apart from the next two sentences, my comments regard casual astronomical use. Did take it with me yesterday on the Blue Ridge Parkway for scanning faraway features. Excellent performance and reach for terrestrial viewing yet not as convenient to handle nor as portable as my 10x50.

As others point out, a tripod is recommended if you intend on lingering longer than several seconds. A Bakelite tripod adaptor is included yet I still utilize the traditional metal Celestron one because it provides an extra inch of vertical clearance which eases visual access. While the view is 2.7 degrees, an expansiveness is remarkably maintained. Some observational notes follow, especially in comparison with the 15x70 and bear in mind my suburban skies suffer from light pollution: Saturn was a tease as it is definitely seen as elongated. However, it may be that at opposition the rings just might be inferred. I saw it closer to the setting sun so not a good circumstance. Jupiter was a bright disc and there was greater separation between its moons and disc. Could not resolve it's two dark belts. Venus was a very bright morning star and I could not be assured I could detect its shape with certainty.

The Pleiades (M45) fills the field of view with breathtaking magnificence!! Orion's sword plus the cluster NGC 1981 can be seen simultaneously. The Orion Nebula (M 42) approaches what I can see in my telescope and some of the Trapezium stars can be viewed. NGC 1981 is truly a charming cluster. The very rich open cluster M35 in Gemini is partially resolved while the Wild Duck Cluster (M11) seems just under threshold, appearing more like an irregularly shaped hazy area. However, it might be partially resolved with darker skies. Globular clusters M13 and M22 are larger fuzz balls than in the 15x70. Double star Albireo in Cygnus can be resolved. The great Andromeda Galaxy (M31) truly resembles a comet which provides insight into the false alarms it likely triggered for historical comet chasers like Charles Messier who put it down as #31 on his list of stellar distractions to avoid. The delightful Beehive (M44) open cluster is contained in one view and I can now relate to the imagery of, "The falling tears of Christ" earlier observers reported. The open clusters of Auriga,(M36, 37 & 38) are tantalizing yet, for me, on the verge of resolution. The asterism Coathanger (aka Brocchi's Cluster) fills one field.

All in all, for under $100, the 25x70 Skymasrter is an excellent investment when not seeking higher priced premium binoculars. It is recommended to be used with a tripod; yet quick, informal views can be relatively easy to accomplish hand held, especially while grasping it by the objective ends. The lenses are situated deeper on the front end than the 15x70, possibly suggesting a type of dew/sun shade purpose. Other differences to keep in mind in comparison with the 15x70 include the smaller observational field of view (of course) and the merely point and look aspect of the smaller bino is diminished in the 25x70 (of course) with the greater magnification coupled with that narrower field. These are just part of the game and should be of no surprise. With more use, I am inclined to suggest this may become my preferred set at first use. BTW, my 20x80's, apart from increased weight, are hardly used at home due to light pollution. Its larger objectives, at 80mm, bring in more light so are reserved for observation under darker skies. It was because of this suburban atmospheric limitation that I sought an alternative for increased magnification beyond the 15x70 and settled on the 25x70.
on July 17, 2011
I have had these for 7 months. I use them mostly for terrestrial (land and water) viewing. They need a tripod; but, I because of there weight and good balance I have been able to view low flying vintage planes or fast moving boats with them. When properly focused the optics are very sharp and very good. Objects over the water come in clear depending on the weather from 4 or more miles away.

On the minus side, the focuser is weak. The left and right side eye pieces often do not move evenly. The focus adjustment for the left eye is easily pushed out of adjustment by a slight pressure on the eye piece or when refocusing from close to farther way.

Also, The tripod adapter is a not good enough to hold the binoculars firmly, you need to hold them with both hands with the tripod to get a good view.

Given the price paid and what seems to be very good quality coated lenses these are very good binoculars.