5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Binos for the price with outstanding Celestron Quality
Published on June 22, 2009 by J. S Thomas

2.0 out of 5 stars Celestron Zoom Binoculars
Published on March 13, 2009 by Kona

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Binos for the price with outstanding Celestron Quality, June 22, 2009
J. S Thomas "Jethro" (Arlington, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron 71012 SkyMaster 20-100x70 Zoom Binoculars (Electronics)
For the price I paid (Under $100) I rate these 5 stars. I have had mine for over 2 years and not had any issues with the zoom or focusing the binos. I must say they are heavy and unless laying on your back observing straight up they can become taxing on the arms. I purchased a tripod and mounted mine which seems to be the way to go for these are heavy. I have used them at several National Parks to observe the wildlife and natural attractions as well as astronomical observing of the moon and stars and the star packed areas of the milky way. For these uses they have been outstanding for the price, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Binoculars, December 3, 2011
Bought these for two purposes - casual star gazing when I don't want to take my telescope out, and as an alternative to buying a spotting scope for shooting. Took them out the first night and was very pleased, great optics throughout the zoom range. For terrestrial viewing at or near eye level they work fine hand held, if you want to zoom past 30 or 40X you'll want a tripod. Usable hand held at low power for star gazing but you'll probably want a tripod, especially if you want to zoom for higher power. Went through a quick sky tour, the moon looked great throughout the zoom range, fantastic views for binoculars, then went to Jupiter, not enough apperture to show much cloud banding but could clearly see Jupiter as a disk along with the 4 Galilean moons. Then one of my favorite targets the double cluster in Perseus, again a great view resolving more stars than you can count. All in all the optics appear to be great. One point I have seen complaints about, yes these are a little heavy but any quality binoculars of this size are going to be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Celestron Quality, June 6, 2010
WDMax "wdmax" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I read the reviews of similar Celestron binoculars and decided to get the zoom model. I can understand some of the problems people may have with adjustments and use, but with some patience and experimentation I found the binoculars performed well.

With the zoom set at 20 and the eyecups pulled out I can see everything fine with good clarity and an adequate field of view to find objects. When I begin to zoom in (around and over 40) I need to close the eyecups in order to see the entire field of view (possibly due to problems with my eyesight). This is not a problem because it is a quick adjustment. The zoom is more than enough for terrestrial viewing and is a great help. The right index finger is used to adjust the zoom anywhere between 20 and 100 and is easy to find without having to look for it. There are the problems associated with zooming, if a tripod or monopod is not used, as you will have a hard time holding the binoculars steady. For most of my viewing leaning against a tree or propping my elbows on a stationary object will do the trick.

The binoculars are long (11.5 to 12 inches) and heavy (between 5-10 lbs). They can be a bit unwieldy, but with some practice you can get find what you are looking for before your arms get tired. I will b getting a monopod for most of my terrestrial viewing (monopod with an adjustable head). The strap makes it easy to carry if you hang it over the shoulder and allow it to rest on the opposite side of the body.

This is a solid well made product for the price. They are attractive and function as designed without any major design flaws. You must remember that these are not the 'point and see' type of binoculars, these binoculars are a bit more specialized and require a little more experience and patience when using the zoom. Overall I do recommend this model to anyone at the intermediate level looking for more versatile binoculars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Celestron Zoom Binoculars, March 13, 2009
Kona "Kona" (Rogers, AR USA) - See all my reviews
The Celestron 71012 SkyMaster 20-100x70 Zoom are OK. Not outstanding or of superior quality. The zoom feature is not as smooth opertaing as the more expensive models but works just fine out of the box. Some folks are complaining of the double vision when you zoom. I think that those folks just don't know how to adjust them properly. They will require some getting used to as the feild of vision is drastically reduced when you zoom. An 80mm objective lens will give you a better field of vision at max zoom, but hey, the PRICE was right for the budget minded consumer like myself. If you want to step on up to the top of the line Nikon you will pay three 0r four times as much. They are adequate for the average user...they are what they are.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Binocular but..., August 29, 2009
If you need to use them with maximum zoom, then do not recommend it, the image is distorted to 100x must be addressed very well to improve the image slightly. For use between 20-70x are very good, the pictures are very clear and striking, these binoculars are made with quality materials, are very nice and is sturdy appearance.
You can not ask much more for the price paid for them. Another drawback is that assets with carrying case.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, February 29, 2012
This zoom binocular came at a very good price, and the brand was quite reliable, so I took it. It works very fine, images are very clear and bright - excellent for Moon and planets, maybe some nebulae also, I still didn't get to try it in some really dark place. I also have the fixed 15x70 version, and the image quality is similar. The only downside (for which it doesn't get the 5*) is that, at maximum magnification, I could only use it with one eye at a time - and yes, I have tried to change the distance between the oculars. Up to about 50-60x it's fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars They are ok - 25x70 or 15x70 are much better for Terrestrial Viewing, February 22, 2012
I currently own the Celestron 15x70 and 25x70.
I primarily use them for terrestrial viewing.
The 20-100x70 are ok when not using the zoom, the field of vision is smaller than the aforementioned models.
Your field of vision gets really small when zooming, keep in mind that I use them for terrestrial viewing.
My favorite so far are the 25x70.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in 20x, October 16, 2010
These are excellent binoculars for 20x zoom. Anything beyond that is crap. Even when focused at 100x, the zoom doesn't seem that much greater than 20x. For example, if I can barely read a sign at 20x, I can't read it any better at 100x. In fact, it's harder to read it because the angle of the lens shrunk so much, it's tough to keep still.

Buy these if you want 20x binoculars. Don't buy them if you're expecting a multipurpose set of binoculars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost exactly what i was looking for, August 14, 2013
I was trying to find a set of binoculars that wasn't crazy expensive and had a decent strength. These have turned out great. I use them for sky gazing at night and they work very good. It's not a telescope but its great for the price, and i don't think the more expensive ones could really do much better. It's a little bulky to hold free hand but I'm getting better. Some reviews said the focus was out and that but I followed the directions and they really haven't given me trouble. I'd have to say that after this I'd only go up to a telescope because it seems like these are the next best step down.

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy, December 30, 2009
I purchased these binoculars as a Christmas gift for my father. He absolutely loves them. Both of my parents have been using them for bird watching and are amazed at the zoom intensity and the amount of detail that they are able to see through the binoculars. Definately a great buy for nature enthusiasts!