5.0 out of 5 stars A telescope must!
Published on November 10, 2012 by Ciaran

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product but...
Published 20 months ago by nightsky

5.0 out of 5 stars A telescope must!, November 10, 2012
This review is from: Celestron Vibration Suppression Pads (Electronics)
I found these in a box I was given along with a few telescopes from a family member. When described to me, I thought they would be a rubbery-foam or something of the sort, but I was surprised at how rigid these surpression pads were. That said, they work WONDERS for vibrations. Obviously, common sense still applies. These will do very little for telescopes on uneven or non-rigid surfaces (think wooden decks). For telescopes on solid ground, however, they will vastly reduce general vibrations!

Make sure to gently use your foot to kick your mount's legs out so that they are using the resulting elasticity in the construction to grip inwards. This will greatly improve stability and the efficaciousness of the surpression pads, by combining the weight of the telescope with the added force.

Overall, this is a relatively inexpensive telescope accessory that will bring you heightened viewing pleasure - that makes it a no-brainer for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars useful vibration pads, May 19, 2009
This review is from: Celestron Vibration Suppression Pads (Electronics)
I am very satisfied with this product. It dampens out vibration as advertised. The pads are also rugged. The pads are also useful as a base for the legs which keeps the legs from sinking in the ground. I use it with a Nexstar 8 se.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vibration Suppression, December 26, 2007
This review is from: Celestron Vibration Suppression Pads (Electronics)
I was a bit sceptical about the claims for this product but it really does work. It has virtually eliminated vibration that used to occur every time I touched the scope, e.g. to track an object or focus. Well worth the minor investment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to tell if this helps stabilize the scope, February 7, 2007
This review is from: Celestron Vibration Suppression Pads (Electronics)
I bought this to reduce vibration on a Celestron CPC1100. It does seem to help some but not as noticeable as you would think. It does help getting the scope level since the pads have a wider base than the tripod legs when placed on soft ground.

I sometimes will leave them out when I take the telescope inside so that I can repeat my viewing at the same location the following night (lots of trees in my backyard).

4.0 out of 5 stars Works but pricey, May 5, 2010
J. Barlow (Raleigh, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron Vibration Suppression Pads (Electronics)
These pads do their job well and are perhaps mandatory at higher magnifications. Their effect is more noticeable on hard surfaces that on turf and are more useful there. My only gripe is with the price; they would be a fantastic value and a no-brainer at $25-30 for the set. But for $45-60, I think the manufacturer is making quite a profit for what amounts to jello-filled plastic. That's not to say that these aren't quality pieces, but they aren't carbon fiber either. If you have vibration problems at higher magnification, you'll want them, and fortunately Amazon saves you a few dollars over some other sites.

5.0 out of 5 stars A+++ on celestron 8SE for visual observation, August 12, 2012
This review is from: Celestron Vibration Suppression Pads (Electronics)
I've used the telescope about 1.5 years without the pads on both dirt and concrete. I finally bought these new for about $30 at a telescope convention. These do an outstanding job of dampening movement. Before I got these, to focus an object, I would twist the focus knob a tiny bit, then leave my hand off for about 5 seconds for the scope to settle. With these, it takes 1/5 the time for complete stabilization. If I'm careful enough, I can even keep focusing with barely any shake.

My setup also adds additional weight to the telescope from the tripod spreader plate. I hang the Goal0 ESCAPE Scout 150 Battery Power Pack, 150 Watt-hour, 110V, which weights about 15LBS from there with a bungee cord. The added weight, the bungee dampening, and the pads make a tremendous differences.

The 2nd benefit are tripod feet that are clean. I store my telescope indoors on carpet and having the feet sit on the pads keep them from getting dirty. The pads go back in their own box, and is stored in my accessory case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised: they work!, March 19, 2012
This review is from: Celestron Vibration Suppression Pads (Electronics)
On telescopejunkies.com, I asked around what accessories I absolutely needed with my SCT. First, a dewshield (bought the Celestron one, works and looks great); second, these pads. They absolutely work; their effectiveness is amplified if you have the tripod on anything hard (cement, wood, etc.). Well worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously amazing set of hockey pucks that WORK, January 31, 2012
This review is from: Celestron Vibration Suppression Pads (Electronics)
I kept reading all the reviews about these pads and I thought it was impossible for these pads to work as claimed. Still, it seemed like a good idea to isolate my telescope's legs from the gravel patio it usually stood on, so I ordered a set.

The results were substantial, and amazing. I can now take 10- or 15-second exposures through my telescope with little or no "shimmy" in the pictures. The dampening makes deep space objects especially clear, and lunar photography extremely sharp.

For the $30-$40 price range, this is a significant upgrade for your telescope setup with only a minimal outlay.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product but..., May 30, 2013
This review is from: Celestron Vibration Suppression Pads (Electronics)
They really don't help that much unless you have a pretty heavy telescope. Most of the giggling I had was where my OTA attached to the mount (I didn't know this until I purchased these) because they did nothing for the problem. I reinforced the inside of the OTA and no more giggles with or without the suppression pads...before you buy take a good hard look elsewhere and save the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars They work, September 19, 2011
Dan C. (Fort Wayne, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron Vibration Suppression Pads (Electronics)
They really suppressed most vibration I get when trying to adjust the focus, when my telescope is on a concrete surface. Not needed on grass. I'm giving them 4 out 5 stars since I think they should be a little cheaper.

Celestron Vibration Suppression Pads