Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on May 31, 2012
i don't know what i expected for $12. but this has to be the cheapest flashlight i've ever encountered. the lens falls right off while holding and there is a death blade of a glass lens that becomes free to lacerate anyone near by. The two red LEDs are the kind you get from radio shack for a nickel each. and the potentometer that controls the intensity does not operate correctly as the lights flicker a lot while adjusting their brightness. i cannot recommend this light to anyone as i am very disappointed in its quality.
on November 24, 2011
I recently got a replacement for my worn out, 12 year old Celestron astro flashlight but little did I keep in mind the Celestron company is now Chinese owned... Wouldn't you know it, not only did the NEW Celestron astro flashlight not work as well, but they cheesed the switch and its functionality to now a total piece of garbage! Astro Peeps, BUY products that last, hold up and perform for years NOT a year or 2...as a 26 year advanced astronomer in all fairness don't buy on price, BUY on life expectancy and this is one unit that doesn't meet that billing!
1010 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 24, 2010
It sorta works but is made cheaply. The bracket that holds the lens falls out. The clear plastic lens is somewhere in my yard. I did find the bracket the next morning. I'm afraid to keep it in my pocket as I'm afraid I'll damage the switch. The on/off/dimmer switch is a joke. It turns the light on and off fine but there is no fine control when it comes to dimming or brightening, you turn the wheel and nothing happens and then all of a sudden it brightens or dims depending on which way you are turning it. NOT WORTH ANY $ !!
on October 30, 2007
I own 4 of these flashlights. They are great for what I need it for but I find the light switch to be a tad difficult to maneuver. It is a wheel located perpendicular to the thumb, with the outer most edge too much embedded into the box. It makes it tough to slide back and forth. You better have sandpaper skin on your thumb for better grip. If you have sweaty hands, forget it. Will I buy it again? Of course, it's probably the best there is. It just needs a little re-design.
on December 8, 2011
We ordered two of these to use during a Night under the Stars at a State Park, only red lights were allowed and not knowing if we would do anything like this again I didn't want to spend too much money, I didn't go for the cheapest light but one on the mid range. One of them worked fine, the other one was terrible. One of them would not stay put on the brightest setting and kept going down to nearly nothing. We plan do to more of these so I will do some research and find a better product. I personally would not recommend this product.
on March 9, 2007
Because of it's non-intrusive red lighting, and especially because of its size and brightness control, this is the perfect little light to bring out in to the field for observing. One caution; make sure you have the lanyard securely around your wrist, especially if you're shining the light down a tube to collimate. One slip, and it'll be headed toward your primary!
on March 7, 2016
Very poor quality - cheaply made. The flashlight broke before I could even use it. After opening the packaging and reading the instructions, I tried to turn the flashlight on for the first time. I noticed the dial was already in the on position, but there was no light, so I assumed the battery was dead (no biggie). Upon removing the old battery from the circuit board using the instructions provided, one of the battery terminals broke off the board and stayed on the battery. I could probably solder it back together, but it will probably just happened again next time I have to change the battery.

I initiated a return through Amazon with a refund. I do not recommend this product, and will not buy it again. Lesson learned - you get what you pay for.
review image
on October 5, 2014
The one I got was defective - I took it apart to replace the battery (because you have to disassemble the thing and physically remove the entire circuit board to replace the battery), and it didn't fix it. Would not buy again.
I purchased this item despite the many negative reviews, and I don't regret the purchase at all. There are some facts you should be aware of when purchasing this light.

1) This is the most basic understanding anyone should have when purchasing any modern product. No process is perfect, and sometimes what you get is imperfect or DOA. It did not happen to me in this particular instance, but it may happen to you regardless of how much you have spent on a product, or its country of origin.

2) This is not a "cheaply made" product. The bulk of it is thick plastic, but some of the other mechanisms are thinner. Two plastic clips lock the front cap in place, and the lens is firmly adhered into the cap. It's unlikely that the lens would pop out unless the unit was mishandled in a rather extreme way. I don't see the lens popping out while the cap is fixed to the unit, simply because the portal at the front of the cap is much smaller than the lens. Outside of smashing the lens, that lens is not coming out of the front of the cap. It's equally unlikely that the lens popped out through the rear of the cap because of adhesives, and two pieces of plastic that bar its passage. Outside of errors during multiple stages of production, mishandling on the part of the courier, or mishandling on the part of the user, I don't see how the lens or front cap could be just falling off as others have claimed.

3) Another user complained that the switch could only turn the unit on/off and would not dim. I saw how this could occur, and it stems from the odd design of the unit. Inside the plastic shell is a circuit board, on top of which lay the two LEDs with a 9V battery at the very end like a caboose. It is simple to replicate the dimming issue if you do not replace the circuit board assembly as directed in the instructions(during, say, a battery change). The circuit board is meant to lay on a tiny spacer, and if it is slipped underneath the spacer, the dimming mechanism will not work properly. To prevent or fix this issue, simply follow the manufacturer provided directions to remove the interior assembly, and when you try to insert it back make sure to hold the assembly as close to the top of the unit as possible. You will know that you have the correct alignment by the function of the light switch, and the presence of a small space underneath the circuit board. My dimmer switch worked perfectly at the beginning, but I was able to replicate and fix this issue as previously described. It should be noted, that if you do not insert the interior assembly exactly as it extracts, it may fail to extract itself using the light switch in the future. Again, this stems from its odd design.

To conclude, this is a well-functioning, and cost-effective unit. It performs exactly as described, is well manufactured, and its plastic shell is surprisingly rugged. The design is odd, and a couple of quirks arise from that, but reading the instructions and handling it correctly will prevent most issues with the unit. So, $12 altogether was a fair price.
on March 19, 2007
This flashlight does what it's supposed to do, and it has a good range of brightness. I especially like the thumb power switch/rheostat -- it's easy and comfortable to operate. My only complaint is that the circle of illumination is relatively small. I would prefer a wider cone of light to illuminate a wider area.