Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc DJ Shadow Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 7, 2008
Sure, it's expensive for a flashlight. But - it's cross-section is square, so it doesn't roll away in the dark. The brightness is adjustable so you can tone it down after your eyes have become accustomed to the darkness. The lanyard is very long, so you have a lot of freedom of movement, but it won't get lost easily. Unlike a headlamp, you won't find yourself bonking it against the telescope accidentally.
About the only thing I can think to complain about is the use of a 9V battery...come on! Every other flashlight this size on the planet uses AA size batteries, and I own a pile of rechargeable AAs...but not a single 9V. Recommended.
on May 12, 2014
I am very happy with this flashlight, and I especially like the strap that hangs it around your neck. Keeps it from getting away from you! I can't wait to use it in the field! I'm surprised it worked, because the package was misdirected and was torn open. At least the person took it back to the post office! I'm glad I bought it, and will probably get another as backup. It works well, and I can highly recommend it.
on January 7, 2016
Decent and not too bright red light for astronomy work. The variable brightness is nice and on full power it's not so bright as to annoy other astronomers around you. That said, there may be times when you dropped something in the dark it's hard to find this light, but just for looking at charts and your equipment etc it's perfectly fine for it. I bought two and glad I did. The other red light I had was just way too bright. I would have liked to see a bit stronger feeling rope on this one, it feels like you could break it easily, although I haven't managed to yet.
on June 3, 2014
Two tiny red LEDs make this a perfect light for NEAR vision. If you want to see your path far ahead or illuminate half a room, you need a stronger light--one that's not good for reading because it kicks up too strong a reflection.
on July 15, 2014
This is a lightweight red light than hangs by a lanyard from your neck or other place. Being so, it is a very handy light to have. It is not powerful enough to use as a light to help you walk in the dark, but does a very good job of lighting anything you want to see closeup. It uses a thumb wheel to turn the light on and then increase the brightness as you continue to turn the wheel. One thing I would find very helpful is a button so you can push it for a quick look at something then the light goes back off when you release the button. But this is not a deal breaker. This is the first thing that comes out of my equipment box when I unpack for a night's observing.

Update: A year later, the light is no longer useful. I removed the cover to replace the battery and now the cover won't stay in place causing the light to flicker. It is no longer useful to me. I replaced it with a "HQRP High Power Tactical 3W 625nm Red LED Flashlight with Adjustable Focus for Night Astronomy Viewings or "Star Party" / Night-Time Astronomy / Astronomy Hobby plus HQRP UV Meter".
on May 6, 2015
Yes, it's cheap...But it WORKS! And it actually feels more solid in the hand than what I was led tp believe by the reviews. The included lanyard to hang the light around your neck is a nice touch, too. Basically you just use a roller wheel to vary the intensity of the 2 red leds from very low to nova. It has a 9 volt batter included and already installed, so you're ready to go right out of the box. Replacing the battery is very straightforward, as it's just a PCB with leads for the battery..Sure - there's many more-expensive one out there, but who cares? It seems durable and works well for ten bucks, thus I have no complaints.
on April 4, 2007
I found this light ideal for my needs. It's lightweight, compact and powerful and can be activated quickly when needed.
on December 11, 2015
These are so helpful! My teens are taking an astronomy course, and naturally, they have to go outside and observe the stars. They also have to write things down about their observations. These little red flashlights are small and easy to carry, and allow you to see in the dark while you're writing without ruining your night vision the way a regular flashlight would.
on January 19, 2012
I like the features of this night vision flashlight. It has a rotating wheel to adjust the amount of light you need plus it runs on a 9 volt battery which is cheap and easy to find. My last night vision light required very expensive button batteries and cost more than the light itself. It comes with a strap to hang around your neck so it is always handy when you are out in the dark observing the night sky.
on June 20, 2015
This is a cheaply made light, but as long as you understand what you are getting, it works well for its job of keeping your dark adaptation.

What I like:
* You can adjust the brightness. The amount of light you need to get your bearings on a sketch/log or to look at a star map is very very low. You can turn it up to max when you are packing up and realize that you are missing that eyepiece endcap.
* It is not head-mounted. - I have an irrational hatred for head mounted lamps that look dim in daylight when they are tested them but to dark adapted eyes are blindingly bright searchlights blasting around the observing area as their owners move their heads about.
* If you hang it from your neck the light points down - less chance for you to be the person above.
* There is no way to accidentally go in to white light mode. This helps prevent me from accidentally being "that person" on the field. I sometimes take one or 2 of my kids observing with me - they always get a light that can only do red.

What I don't like, but there is a cheap solution for:
* The light cast from this is not diffused at all. If you are trying to see something to draw this light will put 2 harsh crescents on your paper that will be very bright - while the area right next to the lights will be hard to see. The solution is to put a piece of Matte Finish Scotch Tape over the lens. This diffused the light enough to make this my goto light.

What I worry about:
* The little plastic loop that attaches the string to the light is just sitting there looking like it is going to break.

I own 3 of these (so that I can find them and so that guests can have a light). I also own the little Orion key-chain light (to bright for me), the Rigel Systems Starlite Mini (remarkably similar to this light, cough) and an Energizer headlamp (If you decide to use a headlamp, go ahead and disable the white LEDs so that you don't accidentally turn them on and consider adding a higher powered resistor to dim the lamp. Also, please don't leave the thing on when you go talk to somebody...).