5.0 out of 5 stars Quick Collimation for Newtonians
Celestron's tool is easy to carry, easy to use, and (at least in my case!) gives me quick, precision collimation with my Newtonian. Why pay for a laser collimator (which needs to be calibrated) when you can use this?

Published on March 9, 2007 by C. Test

3.0 out of 5 stars Be Careful
Published 22 months ago by Kindle Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick Collimation for Newtonians, March 9, 2007
This review is from: Celestron Collimation Eyepiece 1.25" (Electronics)

Collimation is the most important part of your setup; without good mirror alignment, all you'll see are blobs and blurs even on the best viewing nights. This combination tool makes aligning both primary and secondary mirrors fairly painless, and also fairly fast. Highly recommended for any level of observer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad collimation is a scope killer!, August 8, 2008
R. Duncan (Hartford, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron Collimation Eyepiece 1.25" (Electronics)
This thing works. Right out of the box I was able to line up my mirrors in less that an hour to textbook perfect diffraction rings on a star. It is the first real collimation my scope has had since I got it.

I bought a cheap Dobsonian over twenty years ago. Didn't use it much, had a couple of cheap eyepieces. It made pretty good images compared to other scopes but I was never sure of the collimation.

Fast forward to today when the internet allows people to communicate with each other! Read the reviews on collimators and the articles on collimation. This device is a consistent favorite. Cheap and effective, it goes right to the front of my new and improved eyepiece collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool / utility to have..., August 29, 2012
This review is from: Celestron Collimation Eyepiece 1.25" (Electronics)
We recently purchased a Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ telescope for my son's 10th birthday. While the moon looked great in the 'out of the box' configuration, we noticed that Saturn and Mars looked, well, 'fuzzy'. My initial thought was that we needed a more powerful eyepiece than the 20mm and 10mm ones that came with the telescope.

A couple of weeks later, we attended an open house the observatory on the campus of the university that I work for. We were visiting with one of the astronomy professors and I described our 'problem' we were having with our new telescope. After finding out that it was a Newtonian, he immediately asked if I had collimated the telescope. Naturally, I had no idea what he was talking about, so I set out to Mr. Google to learn about collimation.

After a little research, I ordered this eyepiece and was amazed at how much adjustment we needed to make to bring the mirrors into proper alignment. In less than 30 minutes, I had the telescope fully collimated and now distant objects look MUCH more crisp. My son and I even got up early one morning to see Venus and Jupiter, and both of those appeared crisp/sharp. Venus was in a crescent phase and we were able to see Jupiter and two of its moons, and this made for one happy 10 year old!

So, I would recommend this to any beginner/novice astronomer like myself and my son.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device!, April 29, 2008
This review is from: Celestron Collimation Eyepiece 1.25" (Electronics)
This will collimate most Newtonians with minimal effort. No laser beam is necessary. Follow the instructions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be Careful, February 22, 2013
Kindle Customer (Roswell, GA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Celestron Collimation Eyepiece 1.25" (Electronics)
This item is probably fine if you have a regular newtonian reflector, I don't know because I don't have a regular newtonian reflector. I have a Powerseeker 127 EQ, which is a "Jones-Bird" telescope. This type of telescope has a corrective lens built into the bottom of the focuser and therefore requires a different collimation procedure than the one outlined in Celestron's Knowledgebase article. Be advised that Celestron's technical support team has verified that this eyepiece will not work to correctly collimate a Bird-Jones telescope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item! Instructions easy to follow!, October 13, 2011
This review is from: Celestron Collimation Eyepiece 1.25" (Electronics)
Celestron did a great job with this item! The eyepiece showed that my collimation wasn't that far off from when I used the laser collimator (also by Celestron). The instructions were VERY EASY to follow if you read them close enough and carefully. I don't know what it is with publishers like Sky&Tel and die-hard amateurs...they have to explain how to use collimation equipment (and everything else) with wordy, techno-babble-filled descriptions that only confuse other amateurs (ahem...I've been an experienced amateur astronomer for over 25 years...so I know what I'm talking about). Maybe it's a way for the hot-shots to show off rather then be helpful. Save the techno-babble for another forum for those who really want to know. The instructions were written simple and to the point and only took up an index card's worth of explaining. I would definitely buy this item again and recommend it to beginners learning to collimate their reflectors.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, January 2, 2012
This review is from: Celestron Collimation Eyepiece 1.25" (Electronics)
Well, I have successfully collimated my small newtonian reflector with this little piece of equipment. At first it's tricky but you get the hand of it pretty fast. You just need to align all the reflections of the cross you see at the end of the tool. The first step is to align the secondary mirror so the cross aims at the center of the main mirror. Once that is achieved you can then adjust the main mirror to align everything together. Make sure you aim the telescope at a white light source so the cross is nice and visible. I aimed it at my tv with some white internet page, it did the job.

It might not be laser precision but it's more than enough for my reflector. I'm very satisfied with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate and simple to use, July 5, 2011
This review is from: Celestron Collimation Eyepiece 1.25" (Electronics)
It seems this device has been around for a while and rightfully so. I have a Celestron Astromaster 114eq and an 8" Sky-Watcher Dobsonian and this works great for both of them. Easy to use and I was able to focus both scopes to perfect detail. I was considering a laser type collimator (I like electronic gadgets) but read that those may need periodic collimating also - that seems kind of strange to me. I'm not sure how you would do that. Anyway, this unit is simple to use and effective.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, effective, good quality, a bit expensive for what it is., November 25, 2013
This review is from: Celestron Collimation Eyepiece 1.25" (Electronics)
Does what a Chesire should do! Makes getting my Dob dialed a snap! Reflective enough that it is easy to get my mirror's center spot doughnut centered right over the peephole without too much illumination. Good fit and finish. Dinged it one star for price, as it is a bit expensive for what a simple piece of kit this is, margins must be great for Celestron on these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get The Performance Your Telescope Is Capable Of, June 5, 2013
This review is from: Celestron Collimation Eyepiece 1.25" (Electronics)
I purchased the Celestron Collimation Eyepiece to help me properly collimate my 6 inch f/5 Newtonian reflector. I found that though I thought I knew how to collimate a telescope, the short focus of my f/5 made it more difficult that I imagined. Unfortunately, not only is collimation difficult for short focal ratio telescopes, it's more essential. This product revealed to me that it was my secondary alignment that I was getting wrong, giving me sub par performance. Now I can check and adjust if necessary my telescope's alignment in only minutes. It's made a big difference when viewing high resolution targets.

Celestron Collimation Eyepiece 1.25"
$37.95 $24.99