5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, now has me doing astrophotography!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:59 Mins
There's not much to say about the adapter itself, it works and has me doing astro-photography! I thought it might be helpful to some if I demonstrate how it fits together with the camera and the telescope in a video.
Published on June 1, 2011 by Joel

Regarding the product, It does what is supposed to do, but with the Barlow attached there is too much "flare" (not sure if this is the correct term).

Positive point: the barlow can be removed. And can be used with other eyepieces.

Published on August 8, 2012 by T. ROCHA

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, now has me doing astrophotography!, June 1, 2011
Joel "Software Engineer" (Jonesboro, GA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron T Adapter/Barlow 1.25 Universal (Req. T-Ring) (Electronics)
Length:: 1:59 Mins

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, saves money and pleases with results, January 20, 2012
Most happy with my purchase.

First the minor cons. When I attach my DSLR camera to this T-adapter WITHOUT using the Barlow, it won't focus. I have to use the Barlow for it to gain focus. This, however is not a significant con to me because I always use the Barlow with my DSLR, otherwise magnification is just too low, so I don't really care that it doesn't focus with less magnification, I care that it focuses perfectly with 2X magnification. Then the second negative issue is that the adapter itself fits a little loose in the focuser, I feel as if it could fall off with the weight of the camera even after tightening the screws... but truth is that it hasn't fallen off and I have even moved the telescope from one place to another with the camera still on it.

Now the significant pros. The Barlow is spectacular. It works perfectly as the Barlow for any regular eyepiece, it just screws on to the eyepiece and its magnification is doubled. When I bought this I was actually tempted to buy another Barlow only for eyepieces thinking it wouldn't work as I wished (although I knew it was compatible), but I gave it a shot and bought this one only to try it out. It was the best decision, a true money saver. Because of the price of this product I though that images would definitely degrade on some level when using it on regular eyepieces... but until now I do not see any degrading whatsoever. They remain as crisp and perfect as they were without using the Barlow. Additionally, although (as I have said) my camera won't focus when I don't use the Barlow, when I DO use the Barlow with it (which is always) I can even focus on close land objects (500 feet or even less). I was not expecting this, but this allows me to take pictures not only of star (primary use), but even close-ups of the surrounding Andes mountains (review written from Ecuador, South America).

To me this is a true "2 in 1" product, I completely recommend it to anyone looking for a T-adapter for their DSLR. I would have given it a 4.5 if I could, but the two mentioned cons could be worked on by Celestron for it to be a perfect 5/5 to me.

PS. Equipment used with this product: Dobsonian Orion XT6 telescope; 25mm and 10mm plossl eyepieces; Sony Alpha A55 DSLR with T-Mount.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon T2i + Zhumell z8, July 15, 2013
To use this product you ALSO need a T-Ring that fits *your* specific brand of camera!

Once you have your T-Ring (sold separately) and this product you can plug your camera right into a telescope where the eyepiece normally goes.

SHORT REVIEW:
Yes, this product fits tightly and seems very well made. If you already have a T-ring for your camera this is what you need to thread onto it and slide your camera onto a telescope. But there's more it does: it includes a 2x barlow magnifier which doubles the magnification of what your camera sees through the telescope.

Also, the 2x barlow is removable for use on eyepieces when you're not photographing (or if you don't want 2x magnification when you are), and this product can be left in place on the telescope with the camera removed and telescope eyepieces can then be plugged into it and tightened with the silver set-screw (visible in product photo). This allows for quick changes to compare an eyepiece with and without barlow (with and without this product between the eyepiece and telescope). For about the price of a 2x barlow this product gives you a 2x barlow + half of the T-setup you need to bolt a camera onto your telescope for prime astrophotography. Nice!

LONG REVIEW
To attach this to your telescope, your telescope must be able to take 1.25" eyepieces. If it does, you just screw this onto the T-Ring on your camera and then slide everything into the telescope like an eyepiece. Most toy-store telescopes (and many high-quality spotting scopes) take 0.965" eyepieces, so this may not be the size you need. Take the eyepiece out of your telescope and measure the hole it was in. It'll be either .965", 1.25" or 2". This product is for the 1.25" hole.

This adapter also includes a tiny eyepiece holding screw, so you can leave this in your telescope without the camera and stick eyepieces into it and tighten them in just like normal. This also allows you to pop different eyepieces into the unit to utilize the 2x barlow *without* having to unscrew from this product and screwing it on your different eyepieces: you can pop this unit into your telescope with the barlow attached to it. Then you can place an eyepiece into it to get the 2x barlow effect. You can then quickly take this product out and put just the eyepiece back into your telescope for really quick "normal vs 2x barlow" comparisons with the same eyepiece.

You may also need the 2x barlow to bring your camera/telescope combination into focus. But it just unscrews if you don't want/need it. You can also take this barlow off and screw it onto your rear-threaded 1.25" eyepieces to double their power (actually, half their focal distance in millimeters, it'll make an 8mm eyepiece into a 4mm eyepiece) which is actually why I chose this adapter, even though it was a little pricier than others: it's like a 2-in-1 deal. Almost all good 1.25" eyepieces have threads for filters and barlows like this at the end opposite of where your eye goes--the part that goes inside the telescope. Screw the barlow part from this on and you've just doubled your magnification.

After clicking the T-Ring (sold separately) onto my Canon T2i and then screwing this product onto that it took all of 3 seconds to attach my camera to a Zhumell Z8 dobsonian scope. I was able to focus on the Moon and stars before the clouds rolled in. Seems to work just fine optically! It also mounts solidly at both ends as well.

Normally I just use an "Orion SteadyPix Deluxe Camera Mount" (with an older, flatter lens since the newer Canon zoom lenses are smidge just too long to fit between the camera and the telescope without the front of the lens touching the rubber eyepiece cups of some of my eyepieces) and it holds the camera up to a regular eyepiece stuck into the telescope. You get much more magnification that way. It's called afocal astrophotography, a fancy term for just holding a camera up to a telescope or microscope eyepiece and snapping a photo. What you see with your eye up to the eyepiece of the tele/microscope is exactly what the photo ends up looking like. Honestly, this Celestron telescope T-adapter is probably better suited toward longer exposure prime astrophotography (with a motorized telescope mount), but I figured before I get a motorized mounted scope in addition to the Zhumell dob I could, at the very least, use the included 2x barlow to double the power of all my eyepieces--and this lets me attach my camera to some smaller scopes (that take 1.25" eyepieces) and turns them into cheap telephoto lenses without the added weight of the SteadyPix.

Theoretically you *might* be able to put a short eyepiece into this product and then screw it onto your camera BUT DON'T DO THAT: if your eyepiece or the rubber eyecup extends past the top of this product it will touch/interfere with the flip-up of your camera's mirror. If you can find a short enough eyepiece you **might** be able to up the magnification--but you might also DESTROY your camera/mirror. If you need higher magnification than 2x, I'd recommend trying something like the Orion SteadyPix, since it works with your camera *and* a telescopic eyepiece.

POSSIBLE SETUPS
Camera + T-Ring (sold separately) + This Adapter + slide into your telescope where the eyepiece normally goes = "prime focus astrophotography".

Camera + T-Ring (sold separately) + This Adapter with the included 2x Barlow screwed on + slide into your telescope where the eyepiece normally goes = "prime focus astrophotography" magnified x2.

Your telescope eyepiece (sold separately) + This Adapter + slide into your telescope where the eyepiece normally goes = normal telescope use.

Your telescope eyepiece (sold separately) + This Adapter with the included 2x Barlow screwed on + slide into your telescope where the eyepiece normally goes = normal telescope use with 2x the magnification (halves the mm of your eyepieces). This will *also* allow you to swap the adapter+barlow in/out from between the eyepiece and telescope to see the difference the 2x barlow makes on whatever you're viewing.

Your telescope eyepiece (sold seperately) + the little Barlow lens unscrewed from this product and screwed onto the bottom of your eyepiece end that goes into the telescope = 1.5x magnification, so you have your eyepieces normal + 2x when lens is on tube + 1.5x when lens is on eyepiece. Basically triples your number of magnications available! Usually a 2x Barlow gives 1.5x when screwed directly to the end of an eyepiece: more variations of magnification is great. I wrote all the combinations on the side of my black telescope in silver paint pen. Example, my telescope has a focal length of 1200mm so a 12mm eyepiece gives 100x mag. 12mm with 2x Barlow gives 200x. 12mm with Barlow lens screwed directly onto it and no Barlow tube used is 12mm divided by 1.5x = 8mm which is 150x mag. Focal length divided by eyepiece mm = magnification. 2x mag means divide eyepiece mm by 2 = new eyepiece mm. For 1.5 divide eyepiece mm by 1.5 to get new eyepiece mm to divide into telescope focal length.

Using this product without a camera (between the eyepiece and the telescope) will also yield a slight improvement in near-object focus. This is useful for terrestrial viewing: there is a pine-tree a few blocks from my house that is too close for me to focus on unless I loosen my eyepiece and pull it out of the drawtube, extending the distance between mirror and eyepiece as I hold it in my hand. This product basically `holds' the eyepiece for me--and allows me to focus on the pine-tree easily (and at double the magnification if I leave the barlow in). However, I would think this might impact far object viewing, but as stated earlier: I was able to focus very crisply on a single star with my setup: I took three quick shots playing with the focus rack and I was able to get: a star with 4 diffraction spikes (X shape), a slightly blurry star (a bit of 'seeing' roiling the sky) and a slightly bloated dot (normal photo of a star). The moon was crisp, with craters visible: Theophilus showed it's central mountain peak nicely. BTW: with my setup (Canon T2i + Z8) and the barlow in place the magnification showed maybe about 2/5 of the moon (if it wasn't a waxing crescent). Thus the 'magnification' factor of your telescope is somewhat negated during prime focus photography--if you want to 'zoom in' on individual craters on the Moon, then check out the SteadyPix for afocal astrophotography (telescope with eyepiece in it and camera with it's own lens attached). Usually, a product like this is used by people doing prime focus astrophotography (no lens on camera and no eyepiece in telescope) which is better suited to telescopes with motorized mounts and for nice, long exposures...but if you're planning on trying both, or want to attach a camera that isn't suited for a SteadyPix bracket, or you have a motorized telescope mount and want to do long exposures without your camera flapping around on a loose bracket, or you have a smaller telescope you want to turn into a make-shift telephoto camera lens, or were thinking of buying just a 2x barlow alone, or just want to play around like me...I highly recommend this product.

For what is usually considered a utilitarian "photo adapter" (simply half of a T-mount system), the Celestron T-Adapter+Barlow has lots of fun possibilities and features incorporated into it. The fit and finish on this product is also top-notch--in direct contrast to some things I've seen out other `name brand' telescope companies (flaking paint, rough metal file-marks, cheap pins instead of screws, etc.). I was quite happy with all the `extra' uses beyond it just acting as a t-adapter.

Oh, and if you order this you might want to pick up a remote shutter release for your camera (or get well acquainted with setting the self-timer function on your camera in the dark)since you may find that your telescope shakes a bit with the added weight of your camera dangling from it...and a LOT more when you try to fire the shutter button with your finger.

Clear skies to you!
-Mike from Detroit

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure why I got this with the Barlow, August 23, 2011
Jose E. Diaz (Allendale, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
Since I also purchased the Celestron accessory kit, I now have two Barlows! The entire time I was waiting for this item, I was worried I'd be forced to magnify all exposures when using this item. Not to worry! The Barlow screws right off. Other than that, it looks like a solid product when used in combination with your DSLR's T-ring. Not sure what the screw is for. It didn't seem to serve any function I could think of as the T-ring screws on to that end of the product. Oh, well! In any case, if you don't need a Barlow, I think Celestron has a different T-adapter sans Barlow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap entry to Astrophotography, July 25, 2012
I bought this T Adapter with this T ringFotodiox T/T2 Lens Mount Adapter for Nikon Mount Camera, Nikon D1, D2, D3, D3x,D3s, D100, D200, D300, D300s, D700, D40, D40x, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80, D90, D3000, D3100, D5000, D7000. With the two products together I was easily able to mount my Nikon D5100 to my StarBlast 6 telescope. I am really happy with this little Barlow T Adapter. I like that the barlow is detachable. I was able to take some cool pics by taking the barlow lens off attaching my moon filter to the t adapter then re-attach the barlow after the moon filter.

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding, June 29, 2011
an outstanding product, the barlow lens can be removed to use the telescope as a primary lens, take great pictures of the moon is the best adapter I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product., February 5, 2010
I bought this so that I could get 2x with my camera on my telescope. It works great and arrived quickly. Now my moon pictures are even closer and they are beautiful. Thank you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Do what it is supposed to do, I would buy a cheaper one next time..., August 8, 2012

Celestron Customer services is terrible. They take a long time to answer and dont provide even the simplest information replying:
"As a policy we cannot provide such information."

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Telescope Adapter for Photos, October 4, 2014
Works as advertised. I was a bit unsure how this adapter and the required lens mount T- ring adapter would work together but it all does and I have taken pictures of the moon. That's it at this point, but I hope to branch out and go for planets next. The trick to all this is to figure out what setting your camera needs to be to get the correct exposure. There are no directions for setup either, so plan to spend some time on YouTube watching how others worked this problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get into astrophotography the easy way, get your DSLR mounted!, August 8, 2014
I got this to mount my Nikon D3200 to my Ultima 8.
It works perfect.

My first time out, I took pictures of the moon.
This month is a super moon, so I wanted to get my setup ready.
All I can say is WOW.

Easy to focus the image through the camera, and I can see the deep craters on the moon.
Now I am trying to find the Sea of Tranquility, so I can find the stuff left behind by Apollo 11.

Now to wait for the full moon!

Celestron T Adapter/Barlow 1.25 Universal (Req. T-Ring)
$61.95 $42.95