Celestron AstroMaster Accessory Kit Telescope
Price:$46.95 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 12, 2012
There are few reviews of this product in the net so I'll try to be detailed as possible.

The kit came in with a box and inside the hard shell that stores the items. The plastic hard case seems durable enough and the items insides are protected by a die-cut foam.

The items:

- 2x Power Lens with T-threads
- 80A Blue Planetary Filter
- 25 Red Planetary Filter
- Moon Filter
- 15 mm Kellner Eyepiece
- 6 mm Plössl Eyepiece
- micro fiber cloth

1. 2x Power Lens with T-threads (Cost about 40 USD)

This is probably the same with this product Celestron Universal T-Adapter 1.25in 93640

Good enough for viewing bright objects like the moon and jupiter. I tried all my lens (25 mm and 10 sirius plossl, 15 mm Kellner and 6 mm celestron plossl to viewing the moon and jupiter, the image stays sharp and minimal light loss since the moon was bright.

The Barlow lens itself can be removed and attached to you're individual eyepieces giving you a 1.5x magnification - which is a good feature.

The barlow has a t-threat so you can attached a t-ring for you dslr - another good feature.

For viewing stars and dim object you'll immediately notice that light loss with this 2x barlow. The image starts to get dim and seems like out of focused. 10/22/2012 Although I tried it recently with a 10 mm plossl and I still saw the orion nebula. A gray patch/smoke in the sky. No color but still magnificent =)

2. 80A Blue Planetary Filter and 25 Red Planetary Filter (This propably cost 20 USD)

Good quality filters, this filter is probably the color mostly used. The housing is metal and threaded on both side so it can be attached to another filter to change the color. (adding the red and blue will just yield a darker red =)) I tried the blue with jupiter and it made the white bands blue (it's better for me to just view it without a filter)

3. Moon Filter (Cost 10 USD)
Celestron Telescope Moon Filter - 1-1/4" 94119-A

Housing is plastic and it fits my other eyepieces but has a problem fitting the 15 mm kellner that came with the kit (don't force it to fit the thread will be ruined) You will view a greenish moon with this filter. I'll post a moon video sample soon. I does indeed help in toning down the brightness and increasing the contrast of the moon.

4. 15 mm Kellner Eyepiece
Celestron 15mm 1.25" Telescope Eyepiece w/ Eyeguard

Good midrange eyepiece. I view jupiter with this with a 3x barlow and I saw the bands and 4 moons. If you want a affordable eyepiece go for a kellner. Don't be afraid of kellners they are not bad =)

5. 6 mm Plössl Eyepiece
Celestron 6mm 1.25" Plossl Telescope Eyepiece

One of the reason I bought this kit is this lens. Good quality eyepiece for high power viewing. It's a plossl. When you buy this alone it will cost about 25 USD half of price of the kit alone. I used this with a 3x barlow to view the moon. The FOV is small but the magnification was great. It pushed my 130mm scope to 325X.

6. micro fiber cloth

A plus for cleaning your eyepiece

Overall the kit for me is a great value. If you are starting in astronomy and on a budget this kit is for you. If you buy the items by piece it will cost more than 100 USD.

I've read some comments from astronomy forum that they should not bother to buy this because it's cheap. Well if you're on a budget what's included in this kit is very useful. And as always Amazon is great!

I'll update this review again if I have other eyepieces, barlow and filters to compare it with.

My telescope is the Orion spaceprobe 130st
review image review image review image review image review image review image
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 12, 2011
This kit is good value for money and is significantly cheaper than buying the components individually. But... despite it being named `Astromaster Accessory kit' it is not fully compatible with all Astromaster scopes. One of the key pieces in this kit is the 2x Power lens. This 2x lens is mounted on a threaded Barlow tube which means that a T-mount ring can be attached to the tube and to that can then be attached an SLR camera. The problem occurs though if you are using an Astromaster 70mm refractor. The documentation that comes with the kit shows the doubling lens/Barlow tube nicely fitted into the focusing tube of an Astromaster 90mm refractor but unfortunately the focusing tube of the Astromaster 70mm refractor is too small for the diameter of the doubling lens (this may not be an issue with the Astromaster Reflectors as they have a different eye piece mount, though it is best to check first). Celestron Support suggest putting the doubling lens/Barlow tube into the `diagonal' (which may have some use for general viewing) though this then makes it impractical for land photography as the image is inconviniently inverted and, even more of a problem, because the camera is then effectively mounted on a lever at right angles to the focusing tube the eyepiece set screws cannot hold the weight of an SLR camera safely. Overall this kit is probably a good investment, the only weak point being the un-stated lack of compatibility with the Astromaster 70mm Refractor.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 1, 2014
I am a 34 year old beginner in astronomy and just bought my first telescope 6 months ago. I got a celestron astromaster 114 (Newtonian 4.5") but up until now I was limited to the 10mm eyepiece and the 20mm erect image eyepiece that come with it. I wanted to get a few more eyepieces and some planetary filters without spending much, so I decided to get this kit. So far I have used my scope around 20 times since I bought it... so, I don't have much experience in the field, but here are my comments:

Ok! so, the optical quality of the eyepieces... I know these are from the economic line but they are still very good, I specially liked the 15mm one and I use it a lot to observe the moon and the stars. The 6mm is also good but the images do get a bit blurry at least on my scope. Even so, I use it to observe details on the surface of the moon and Jupiter when I want to increase the magnification power.

I tested the x2 barlow lens with all the eyepieces I have and it works fine, although the image quality is not as good as with a single eyepiece (i.e. it's better to use a 10mm eyepiece than a 20mm plus x2 barlow). However, I really like using it with the 20mm erect image eyepiece that came with my scope (for terrestrial observation).

The blue filter is great!, I tested it observing Jupiter and it reduces the glare significantly making the planet's bands easier to observe. You will see the planet a bit blueish, of course... While observing Jupiter, I like swapping between the 6mm eyepiece with the blue filter attached and the 10mm eyepiece with no filter.

The red filter didn't work so well with Jupiter (all I could see was a uniform-red disc), I read somewhere that it is more used to observe Mars but haven't had the chance to test it yet. The moon filter is made of plastic (the others are made of aluminum) and it works ok removing the glare during the brightest phases, although the image becomes a bit greenish. If you like to observe the moon you will probably want to get a better filter for it (I got this one... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069VY9CO/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0). All filters can be screwed to the bottom of the eyepiece nice and smoothly.

Overall I'm very happy with this kit, I really recommend it if you are a beginner in astronomy because you can learn a lot using it without spending much, later you'll find out what works best for you and then you can put a little more money into it... Until then, you can get a lot more from your telescope with this kit. if you do the math, you're paying around $7 USD for each accessory, so the cost-benefit ratio is really good.
on May 24, 2014
I bought this for my Meade DS 2000 series telescope. (it's a 4.5 in reflector with a 1000 mm focal length). I used it to look at Saturn tonight and I was able to visibly see the rings of Saturn. To clarify for everyone, many people have been saying the included 6 mm is too powerful, this is not true. The 6 mm by itself worked fine and I was able to get it in focus. I wasn't able to get it in focus with the Barlow attached, it was just too hard to focus. The Barlow is great and worked with some other Meade lenses I had as well. Great experience thus far. I have no issues with any part of this product. The whole set has worked out great and I am very satisfied with the optics, clarity, and the quality of the build. It's a great set and by far a much cheaper alternative to buying just a Barlow or buying one of the 150 dollar sets. You will always get higher quality when you spend more money and buy each eyepiece separately but as far as bang for your buck it doesn't get much better than this. I would recommend this to anyone with a reflector telescope.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
When I first got my Celestron telescope I was dissappointed I wasn't able to see much, but after buying this I was able to see the ring around Saturn. Can't wait for Jupiter to come back into view!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 14, 2014
I bought this as an additional gift for my wife and she loved it. Particularly the moon filter. The case housing the equipment is solid and durable.
on January 18, 2014
I purchased this accessory kit to allow me greater flexibility in using my new telescope. Have now used new lenses and filters and I am satisfied with my purchase.
on December 30, 2013
The kit looked great (even though I decided to return it in favor of Celestron 8 - 24 mm zoom lens) and customer service was perhaps the best I've ever had.
on December 29, 2013
This was a perfect addition to my husband's Celestron. He has wanted a moon filter for some time--who knew? He is thrilled with the accessory kit.
on December 1, 2013
The kit has a good variety of items for the scope. I wouk recommend this kit as a base addition to a new Telescope.