Questions & Answers
Celestron NexStar 8 SE Telescope
by Celestron
4.2 out of 5 stars (216)
$1,199.00
Add to cart
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 30 questions
votes
I advise you to go to the Sky & Telescope website. They offer a course in amateur astrophotography.
Nov 22, 2013 by Rich
vote
The alt/azimuth drive tracks an object to keep it centered in the eyepiece. The problem with photographing the object is that the object rotates in the field of view. Short term (2 or 3 seconds) astrophotography of bright objects (the moon, bright planets) may yield an acceptable image, but that means dim objects such as stars and galaxies are next to impossible. The Equatorial mounting uses the same tracking electronics to move the telescope in only 1 direction (declination). The result is that an object will remain centered in the field of view and will NOT rotate thus making much longer exposure times possible. Remember, though, the telescope is not the only variable in astrophotography. There's the wind, light pollution, vibration of the mounting, accuracy in setting up the mounting, and fatigue. It ain't easy.
Jun 2, 2014 by James A. Billings
vote
Jean, no. When I ordered my 8 SE, the case was a seperate item and a necessary buy in my opinion. It has saved me countless hours when moving the scope and undoubtedly, has protected it from unknown damage. If you are planning on buying such an expensive scope, protection must be a top priority. Hope this has helped you.
May 4, 2014 by Eric
vote
the Celestron NexStar 8 works very well in most all locations through out the world ... I have never had any trouble with the system ... as long as it is set up properly ... I agree it is pricey but it is a very good optical system and performs well
Dec 6, 2014 by Doug
votes
As well as any other telescope. At least the mirror is protected from condensation by the front corrector plate. You can also get an inexpensive dew shield to keep the corrector plate from fogging up. There are dark filters that will also cut out light pollution.
Dec 7, 2014 by Rich
votes
Long exposures with this telescope would be frustratingly difficult. Spend more money and move into the professional series of scopes with massive equatorial mountings and move to a location where light pollution is minimal. Your camera is a good choice, though.
Jan 9, 2015 by James A. Billings
votes
At least the one I bought did not came with power adapter. It requires eight "AA" batteries and the life if very low. You need to buy the power pack apart.
Jan 5, 2015 by Fernando L Perez Garcia
votes
of course it can be taken apart for travel overseas. but not in your suitcase. it would ship as excess luggage and should be packed either in the original boxes it was delivered in or specially made containers for safe transit. it could also be mailed to your destination and then mailed home when you are ready to return.
Jun 4, 2015 by Carolyn J. Johnson
votes
Yes it is. Uranus looks like pale blue dot. You can find some images of Uranus and Neptune taken with this telescope. The keyword is "Nexstar 8SE Uranus Neptune".
11 days ago by Jiho Joo
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers