5.0 out of 5 stars Great barlow for Celestron 21024
I picked up a Celestron 21024 3" tabletop reflector, hoping to get my feet wet in backyard astronomy. The scope actually turned out quite nice, but with its short focal length, the effective magnifications even with a 4mm eyepiece were pretty low. I tried some other barlow eyepieces, none of them would even focus.
The Celestron Omni barlow worked great on that...
Published on September 29, 2010 by Adam Jacobs

3.0 out of 5 stars Focus?
I haven't been able to crack the code on getting it to focus correctly. It's probably just me but it doesn't seem as straight-forward as it ought to be for something that is supposed to magnify the objects by two.
Published 11 months ago by Dan

5.0 out of 5 stars Great barlow for Celestron 21024, September 29, 2010
This review is from: Celestron Omni 2X Barlow Lens (Electronics)
The Celestron Omni barlow worked great on that telescope, and I was actually able to make out the bands on jupiter using the barlow, a 12.5mm plossl, and the celestron 21024. I was pretty surprised. If you have the celestron 21024, you'll want this barlow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better viewing..., April 5, 2010
Bill Rulo (Severna Park, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron Omni 2X Barlow Lens (Electronics)
I am new to astronomy so I went out on a limb and purchased this Barlow lens for my Celestron 80mm EQ Refractor. It works well. Keep in mind the lens seems to let in less light but I could see Mars, Saturn, the Orion Nebula and several star clusters with good clarity. I only have 10mm and 25mm eyepieces and this doubles my set. I live in an area with terrible conditions for backyard astronomy but this piece has brought out a few more objects. Next I'll try some Celstron Omni eyepieces.

5.0 out of 5 stars RE: As beautiful to look at as through., March 6, 2014
This review is from: Celestron Omni 2X Barlow Lens (Electronics)
Users who don't know what they are doing, or talking about, is really getting on my wick. It could be a review on spoons or the latest electronic device, but this explains the long amble to my final remarks on the Celestron 2x Omni Barlow in this review.

Observational astronomy has been my avocation for 33 years with hundreds of dusk to dawn sessions, and thousands of hours at the eyepiece.

I am afraid that most people who purchase a Barlow lens have performance expectations that are naive, or are trying to correct the mistake of having purchased a telescope whose f/ratio is so low as to make any high magnification observations disappointing. An f/4 telescope is fine for observing deep sky objects in a wide field of view. An f/15 refractor is best suited for planetary, lunar and binary star observations where high magnifications and high contrast images are required.

As we move through a range of eyepieces from low to high power what does the user notice most? It is the eye relief. The eye relief of a 32 mm is long enough even to use glasses. But as we drop down to 6 mm, 5 mm, and 4 mm the eye lens becomes very small. You must move in so close as to sometimes touch the eye lens with one's eye lashes. If you wear glasses, they must be removed to get close to the eyepiece. Now any malady your eyes suffer from are uncorrected. This may introduce chromatic aberrations, serious astigmatism, &etc, to the telescopic image.

Of course there is the telescope itself. The best instruments under good atmospheric conditions can, at best, employ 50x to 60x (power) per inch of aperture. Further magnification is called "empty magnification". Why? Because you have already reached the theoretical resolution limit of the telescope. More magnification reveals no more detail. The image just get bigger, darker and fuzzier.

For instance, a 4" telescope will have an optical limit of 240x. An 8" telescope can theoretically achieve 480x. But there are so many variables to consider. Is the scope a Schmidt-Cassegrain, a Newtonian (is it a long or short f/ratio?), is it a refractor (long or short f/ratio)? What are the seeing conditions? An absolutely clear sky can have horrible "seeing" (unsteady air) which causes any planetary or lunar image to go from sharp and crisp to a blob. You can throw those dictums of theory right out the window!

The typical introductory scope will come with "run-of-the-mill" eyepieces of 25 mm and 10 mm that are not of high quality. A Barlow will make flaws in poor quality optics stand out like a sore thumb. If it was not a good eyepiece at 10 mm what can you expect when it is a Barlowized 5 mm?

But we purchased a trusty, magical Barlow with the hopes of seeing Neil Armstrong's foot prints on the moon with our Barlowized 2 mm at 750x! Is it any surprise that novices are quickly jaded with the hobby altogether out of ignorance, or perhaps lay the blame on their new, shiny, slick Barlow?

Barlows come in 2x, 2.5x, and 3x. Some are absurdities at 4x or 5x! Barlows are used to extend an instrument's focal length. But in practice their primary function is to obtain higher magnifications with low power eyepieces while still retaining the low power eyepiece's eye relief. This maintains comfortable viewing with high magnifications even while wearing glasses. Remember my earlier comments regarding eye relief and glasses wearers? Barlows are not intended to be used with the entire range of eyepieces in your kit.

A Barlow's performance excels with eyepieces from 32 mm down to 12 mm. That Barlowized 12 mm is now a 6 mm, but retains the eye relief of a 12 mm. 12 mm or 10 mm eyepieces are the absolute end-of-the-line for employing a Barlow and to expect any degree of visual integrity. Beyond that range and you are just playing with your toys and abusing them at that! A Barlow is a tool of convenience not a magic wand.

Yes, this is a review on the Celestron 2x Omni Barlow.

My neighbor just got his in the post today. He lent it to me to test. I compared it with a 60-year-old original Goodwin Barlow, an early Parks Barlow and a Unitron Achromatic Amplifier. I compared a full range of Unitron Orthoscopics, a set of König wide-field eyepieces, and a set of Vernonscope "limited edition" brass Brandons which use special glass that is hand selected. Brandons are the favorite eyepiece among professional astronomers.

The telescope was a 100 mm, f/15 Unitron refractor with an objective lens manufactured by Pentax for Unitron. These Pentax objective lenses are considered to be Unitron's "jewels-in-the-crown" objectives of perfect quality.

What did I conclude? That Celestron's Omni 2x barlow was spot on, with no problems or errors even at the very edge of the field. What errors did become apparent were with high power eyepieces that shouldn't be attached to a Barlow. EVER! For the most part, it was the quality of the eyepieces that was being tested more so than the Omni Barlow. The eyepieces in question being pushed beyond their operational limits.

The Celestron 2x Omni Barlow is a beautifully crafted Barlow. Its only flaw being the price is too low for the quality, if that can be considered a flaw.

So if you have problems with this Barlow, it ain't the Barlow's fault.

5.0 out of 5 stars using my barlow lens, July 13, 2010
This review is from: Celestron Omni 2X Barlow Lens (Electronics)
I just purchased an Orion 8 inch telescope--without the barlow Saturn's rings are nearly invisable when I use just the eyepiece that came with the scope. When the barlow is attached Saturn becomes amazing! I love this product and am considering purchasing a 4x to see what the difference is--I recommend this lens highly. If you are into astonomy-this is a must buy![[ASIN:B00008Y0TM Celestron Omni 2X Barlow Lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little barlow!, October 4, 2011
This review is from: Celestron Omni 2X Barlow Lens (Electronics)
I've been an amateur astronomer for over 25 years. This is a great barlow and the first time I've used one. My wife and I used this in our 6" f5 Celestron Reflector (f/l 750mm). It provided great views with a 26mm lens inserted into the barrel of the Ring Nebula (M57), Andromeda Galaxy (M31), and several other deep sky objects. Even the moon looked great! With the 5mm lens, which was probably overkill, made us feel as if we were right on the moon itself. Of course, when jacking up the magnification this high the image quality isn't as great or as sharp (this is normal when using higher power). For the price, this is an awesome item! Can't wait to get the 3x version.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Barlow, March 23, 2013
Amazon Customer (FPO, AA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celestron Omni 2X Barlow Lens (Electronics)
Bought this because the 3x barlow that came with my powerseeker 70 was a piece of crap. This is a lot better quality and much more useable than the 3x was.

5.0 out of 5 stars great lens!, August 30, 2013
This review is from: Celestron Omni 2X Barlow Lens (Electronics)
promptly mailed... doubled my telescopes current lenses and very well machined components.
you could even say this product and the service was... wait for it... STELLAR ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Celestron Omni 2X Lens, May 16, 2013
This review is from: Celestron Omni 2X Barlow Lens (Electronics)
I bought this 2X lens to complement my Celestron C70 Spotting Scope for target shooting. It is an excellent product and exceeded my expectations. Shipping was prompt and reasonable and I will continue to be an Amazon customer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad. :), October 5, 2013
This review is from: Celestron Omni 2X Barlow Lens (Electronics)
Just a novice and from reading amazon reviews, this was recommended. It does its job, 2x zoom to any piece, and I couldn't be happier. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Barlow Lens, August 13, 2013
This review is from: Celestron Omni 2X Barlow Lens (Electronics)
For $35, you can't go wrong. It fits perfectly on my Celestron Powerseeker 60AZ. This really helps with planetary and lunar viewing. I'll update this review after trying it on a more powerful telescope.

Celestron Omni 2X Barlow Lens