Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Ed Sheeran egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

Color: BlackSize: 10x42Change

on July 12, 2012
I almost didn't purchase this product because of the way the ocular adjustment was described in the review by "Hard Core Camper". However, knowing that Celestron has the reputation of producing what are normally high quality optics, I couldn't believe that adjusting the right eyecup could potentially force a person to have one eyecup as much as a 1/2 inch out of alignment with the other eyecup. Therefore, I took a chance and ordered the Outland X binoculars and I'm glad I did. For this price, I would defy anyone to find a better pair of binoculars on the market. For their size, they are relatively light weight and they produce crystal clear images. They come with protective coverings for the eyecups as well as the lenses and they are easy to focus. I live in FL where you frequently go from indoor air conditioning to outdoor locations that are hot and muggy and I have not experienced any noticeable fogging of the lenses. I think where "Hard Core Camper" went wrong was in the misunderstanding that when the principal focus wheel is adjusted, it should be done so in a manner that gives the left eye the best possible focus. Then, if the right eye is not in focus, yes, you must adjust that by turning the right eyepiece. While that can make the right eyepiece extend as much as about a 1/2 inch closer to your eye, depending upon upon how much turning it takes to give the right eye the the best focus, you can then turn the left eyepiece out to match the distance of the right eyecup. Turning the left eyepiece out WILL NOT change the focus of the left eye. It is simply an accommodation so that both eyecups are made equidistant from the binocular body. The bottom line is, you DO NOT have to be left with eyepieces that are misaligned. Overall, I think you will be very satisfied with these binoculars.
on August 30, 2012
These binoculars are excellent for their pricepoint, and stack up well against many higher priced pairs as well. I purchased these for a recent trip to Glacier National Park, and will not take another trip without them!

There are a lot of binoculars in this pricerange, but few that have the quality of construction as these. Everything is nice to touch with well placed adjustments. Some particular highlights are:
* Great optics and a nice bright field of view.
* Nice size and compact frame. Think "compact-full sized" binoculars. Rubber grip on all surfaces. Very well constructed with nothing feeling fragile.
* Waterproof and fog proof. Did not drop them in the water yet, but no fogging or ill affects after getting caught in a heavy rainstorm.
* Eye cups rotate and extend outward. While I wear glasses, I prefer viewing without them, and these binoculars provide plenty of adjustment to allow use without glasses. This will depend on the strength of your needed prescription glasses obviously, but I've used many sets of binoculars that did not have enough corrective adjustment to allow use without my glasses.
* Comes with caps for front and back, carry bag and straps for both the binoculars and the carry bag.
* Price! $54 on amazon when I purchased making them a steal! They'd be a great deal at their full list price, but at $54, these are an amazing bargain. These are a "real" pair for the cost of a "toy" pair.

Know what you are looking for. These are personal preferences, but worth considering if you are purchasing you first set of binoculars.

* They are not tiny, but small enough to carry around on day hikes. They fit very comfortably in the glovebox of my car, but not the sort of thing you can stuff in the pocket of your jacket.
* While light for their size (22oz), they may not be ideal for the ultra-light backpacker. Perfect for carrying around as a day hiker.

As a side note, The magnification is getting high for handheld use. I prefer this, but many would be happier with a lower magnification as there is less noticeable shakiness. Personally I prefer the longer range of the 10x and concentrating on holding still. It is a matter of personal preference and in no way unique to these binoculars. These apparently come in an 8x magnification which might be more livable for many users.
on October 27, 2011
I've had to take my glasses off to use previous binoculars. These were the most economical binoculars I found with eyepieces that adjust for the increased distance from the lens. I comfortably see a full field while wearing my glasses.
on October 15, 2013
Great! Light weight, solidly built, good optics.
I choose this for concerts. It is powerful enough and lets in enough light
in a darkened concert hall to see performers onstage at about 200 feet.
on November 2, 2011
This model has proven to be a good, dependable workhorse of a binocular. We've taken it on trips, used it at sporting events, and relied on it for birdwatching. It has dealt with the "rough and tumble" of each of those situations just fine. It has adjusted quickly for several different sets of eyes. Light weight is appreciated. No regrets. Plus, Amazon shipping was, as usual, prompt and hassle-free.
on April 29, 2013
These are excellent sub $100 binoculars. Solid construction of the tubes. I really like the retractable eye cups. Others state the optics are not great, I have to disagree. There is a little chromatic aberration, but not so much to say they have "bad optics". Bottom line, for $60 they are great, inexpensive binoculars.
on July 6, 2013
Very good view, actually perfect for me. I am more pleased than I thought I would be with these binoculars. The price was so good that I thought maybe there would be some flaws; I have not found any! I only gave 4 stars because I have never had an expensive pair so cannot compare there, but I have had a pair in the same price range and these are far superior to those.
on February 22, 2015
I suppose I am spoiled, as I am an optics guy and got to play with a friend's Monarch 5 10X42, which was much better in every way, but these little binocs are still useful for birding, wildlife viewing, etc. Falloff gets noticeable at about 10 percent from the edge of the lens, the prisms aren't the brightest but still nice, you can see crisp images through them with some quick adjustments, and they come with a little neckstrap and eyepiece and frontpiece covers. Images don't quite pop, but are still clearly rendered. Lenses seem to bring out the greens and blues quite well. The front lens covers hang down and don't detach, which is a nice addition, but the rear eye covers detach. The build quality is decent, but don't get me wrong--these are no 300 dollar binoculars and won't compare at all to them. My pair is a little stiff in the right hand focus ring on the back and slightly loose in the focusing wheel. The eyepieces at the rear extend with a twist, to shade your eyes a bit from surrounding light.

They are amazing in one way, and in a good way: they are inexpensive, which means that you can throw them in your bag or on the car seat next to you as you head out into parts unknown and have little fear of ruining an expensive piece of equipment. I've found myself taking them to view seals at the beach, leaving them on the dashboard while driving off road, and generally exposing them to the elements. After an especially bouncy cross-country ride after several months of having them I noticed that there was a slightly greater purple diffraction in the right lens, probably from all the shaking. Ruined? Nah. And if sand and grit get in them, get another pair.

General size rule for the 42 sized binoculars:
8X42: good for close-ups and birding when they are moving fast, say from tree to tree. Catch greater light.
10X42: best long range for hand-held, slightly less light. Good all-around viewing.
12X42: bench rest them for the greatest IQ gains, somewhat long distance, less light is caught. If Celestron made an Outland X 12X42 I'd probably buy it.

Have money to spare? Get some Nikons or Leupolds.
on April 4, 2013
I never have understood the logic of spending hundreds of dollars for binoculars when there are multiple reasonably-priced options that will work just fine. Compared to the Steiners, Nikons, etc. that a few of my friends own - I really can't appreciate the minor differences in clarity that all the hunting magazines tout about those high-dollar glasses. The rubberized coating on my last pair of top-shelf binocs had deteriorated to the point of being sticky and leaving a greasy black goo on my hands whenever I used them. After much consideration and on-line comparisons - I decided on these from Celestron. I couldn't be happier with my choice - they are relatively compact and easy to use. The focus is sharp and clear. The money saved could well be put into a better rifle and scope.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2013
Nice bright image and quick/easy adjustment on eye relief. This means you can shift the eyepieces in or out so you don't get that annoying effect of only seeing through a portion either/both tubes. Great bang for the buck.