5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive but great binoculars
Published 17 months ago by fireant911

3.0 out of 5 stars A Pretty Good Set of Binoculars For The Price
Let me preface this with the warning that I don't know much about binoculars. This is only the best info I can give as someone who has rarely used them.

This review is a bit long because I tried to provide as much information as a I could, since if you're buying online, you probably can't test them out first.

- The Binoculars shipped in a box...
Published 15 months ago by Persephanie

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive but great binoculars, February 13, 2013
This review is from: Celestron UpClose G2 10x50 Porro Binocular 71256 (Electronics)
My wife initially scoffed at my plan on purchasing these binoculars because of the low price. After some research, I defined the attributes that I was desiring. Next, I searched through the plethora of binocular manufacturers and their products. I came across the Celestron UpClose G2 and did some additional digging (it has many features that are available on the higher-end binoculars) - there was also an interesting youtube video someone had made using the UpClose G2. I was rather amazed so I ordered them. I handed them to my wife just after I received them and she was very much impressed and surprised by the clarity and quality of these binoculars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, October 17, 2013
Pros - great clarity, extremely powerful, easy grip and focus

Cons - not moisture resistant, low depth of field and viewing area.

At about 150 ft the field of view is only about 30ft and the depth of field is about 10ft so you are constantly focusing.

Closest view point is about 30ft which I probably should have gotten 8X for the back yard.

I left them outside one evening and they were fogged up with moisture inside that took almost a week to clear up. Suppose to be moisture resistant?

Great clarity. The optics are great and very clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Celestron UpClose G2 10X50 Binocular 71256, July 16, 2013
I received my binocular shipped with great alacrity; ordered on July 15 and delivered on July 16. This purchase was made amid a tremendous quantity of possible choices based on features, quality and, of course cost. As I was working on a budget I wanted to get the most bang for the buck, so, while pondering what I could possibly get in this price range, I finally pressed the purchase button on this item and hoped for the best. I can truthfully say that, for the money, I am very satisfied, so far. These binoculars yield sharp, bright image, doing what they were designed to do. While they are heavier than compact binoculars, the trade off is a brighter image under lower light levels. Center focus is smooth.
UPDATE: Sept. 24, 2013 I have to say that this binocular is worth another star after enjoying using them for some time now. I take very good care of my optics, so I cannot speak to their ruggedness, but they work well for me and they are a joy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just got my order, June 30, 2013
I just got my Celestrone UpClose. I had planned on getting the $62 Bushnell with AutoFocus, but changed my mind when I read the reviews for this binoculars. I can tell you that I'm so happy I got this. The optics are very clear and bright. And it's easy to focus. I'm very happy with the purchase. Even my wife said it's very clear compared to our old one. I can't wait to take it to the mountains or beach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price and value, January 26, 2013
I originally purchased the Celestron Outback 10x42, but had to return it due to a defect. Replacements were out of stock, so I research more and decided to go with the Celestron UpClose G2 10x50. Honestly, I can't tell the difference in visual clarity or quality between the two (even though the Outback is supposed to have Bak4--better quality prisms). These binos feel really solid, have a nice protective rubber layer and comfortable shape, and the 10x50 provides a nice, wide view that lets in plenty of light. For most people, a 10x magnification is more than enough (gets pretty shaky as you increase magnification). These are a little heavy and not super portable, but still comfortable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, June 21, 2013
This was my second pair. Both are high quality for the money. My first pair was only $28. 2nd pair was $33. Even for $5 more its a bargain. Exceptionally clear optics. If these hold up they are on par with my Leupolds. Much better than Bushnell or Simmons 10x50s I've had. I'm giving this set to my father for a present.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Pretty Good Set of Binoculars For The Price, April 5, 2013

- The Binoculars shipped in a box with a soft carrying case, a generic lens cloth, and a very thin (1 cm) nylon neck strap, and fully-detaching lens caps (soft ones for the objectives, hard ones for the eyepieces). The body is sturdy rubber-coated metal. This makes them a tad heavy, but they feel reasonably durable.

- Out of the box, new product has a bit of a chemical smell from the rubberized covering, lens caps, and bag.

- I have hyperopic astigmatism, and decided to adjust the binoculars for use with my glasses. This worked out fine for me, even with the relatively low eye relief, but your results may vary. Of note, the lens caps cannot be attached to the eyepieces unless the rubber cups are up on the eyepieces (which they can't be if you have glasses-- unless you want a reduced field of view). This is a problem for me as it means that I have to fold down the cups for each use, which mean's I'll probably screw up the diopter focus every time I uncap them.

- The objective lenses reflect green, the eyepieces reflect blue. I don't know too much about coatings, so I can't say exactly what that means, but if you do, there you go.

- The right diopter adjustment and center focus move smoothly. The interpupillary distance is tough to adjust, but also won't slip, I imagine. I need it at the narrowest setting (my interpupillary distance is ~63mm by my estimate), so these binoculars would be bad for children or people with narrow/small faces.

- On high-contrast stuff (like trees in front of brightly-lit sky) there is a bit of chromatic aberration with my pair. Otherwise, colors and bright and true-to-life in daylight. Colors are noticeably desaturated in dusk conditions, but still visible. I don't have a tripod and live in a metropolitan area, so I'm not the best to judge their astronomical capabilities.

- On objects at the minimal focusing distance, there is noticeable distortion near the edges of the field of view, about a sixth of the field of view. The center is fine. The distortion seems to disappear at farther distances.

- I am a bit woozy after using them the first time, which is a pretty bad sign, and why I'm giving it 3 stars. It might mean they weren't collimated right, it might mean my glasses aren't the right prescription anymore, or it could be from the chemical smell. I don't feel an eye strain headache yet, but I'll try them out better this week.

Since proper alignment isn't really guaranteed in any cheap binoculars, and it's not super off if it is at all, (i'm not seeing double) I can't really fault the product for this more than that.

1.0 out of 5 stars returned item, December 26, 2013
Binoculars looked good but the eye pieces were loose and could not be focused. This was disappointing after all the good review my husband had read. Returning item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good binoculars for such a low price, December 22, 2013
John (San Antonio, Texas) - See all my reviews
First of all, people need to understand: When ordering binoculars online, especially ones in this range, you are taking the chance you will get a bad pair. Between the factory and the shipping to your door, there's a chance the pair you get WILL BE OUT OF COLLIMATION. This means you will see double and never get a merged focused image. In other words, they'll be useless. If you read through reviews that's the main complaint people have and they conclude the binoculars "just suck". However, it seems the number of bad are outweighed by the number of good ones people received. And Amazon is really good at returns and exchanges, so you really just stand to lose time and convenience having to make the return if they are out of collimation. Having said that...

Since my main use is for stargazing I already had gotten the 15x70 SkyMaster, which is also an excellent pair for the price. But because of their size, for hand-held use they can be difficult to use. I can manage pretty well, but my wife definitely had a harder time, so I took a chance with these. Having taken the collimation gamble with the SkyMasters and being a pessimist, I wasn't expecting my luck to be good twice in a row. But these also arrived in collimation and focused just fine. After the relief of that, the second thing I noticed was how much easier they were to hold, and therefore, how much better and stable the image was. Using them at night was just as easy. Between their size and lower magnification I was able to focus in on objects a lot easier than with the SkyMasters. My wife also found them MUCH easier to use. The image is not as close or as bright, but for hand held use the stability of the smaller one wins. However, even though I could see Jupiter and it's moons 'good' with these 10x50's for a longer time, I still switched to the 15x70's for a 'better' but shorter view. That wouldn't be an issue with a good sturdy tripod though and the bigger one would win ~hands down~ (see what I did there?).

Like the Skymasters, these came with a thin flimsy soft case, a cheap neckstrap, lens caps, and a tiny microfiber cloth. Unlike the Skymasters, it didn't come with a tripod adapter, which isn't a big deal since most will use them hand-held and the tripod adapter the Skymaster did come with really sucks anyway. It appears to be a well-built pair of binoculars, but that's not saying anything if a good enough bump knocks them out of collimation. Taking that into account, I ditched the flimsy carrying bags for both pairs of binoculars and put them in "Plano Protector Four Pistol" cases. Overkill maybe, but made me feel better.

Overall, for $20-30 binoculars, these are really good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Celestron Upclose G2 10x50, October 25, 2013
I bought these after reading reviews and watching you tube videos. I'm thrilled with this purchase. The differance between these and my old 7x50's is amazing. I can read license plates a mile away now! For the price you just can't beat it. I used them right out of the box without any adjustments. The only complaint I would have is the strap is very narrow and uncomfortable. I would highly reccomend these.

Celestron UpClose G2 10x50 Porro Binocular 71256