Industrial-Sized Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 17, 2013
the battery last a few hours even with lithium that are more expensive, difficult to program and use, display difficult to read if sunny
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hi Herman,

I'm sorry that you are experiencing difficulties with your reTrace Deluxe. I have a few suggestions that may help improve its battery performance. One thing you can do is set the unit to automatically turn off in intervals of 5, 15, 30, and 60 minutes. Setting this to a low number like 5 minutes will help with battery life. Also, if the backlight remains on, this will draw heavily on the battery. You can change the settings for this feature as well. If you haven't already, please go to, click on the Support tab, and download the complete manual. Instructions are found in the "Settings" section.

There is a chance that your unit has a defect and that this is causing the battery to drain. If after changing the settings you are having the same problems, contact technical support:

We back this product with a 2 year warranty, so we'll be happy to replace the unit if it's defective.
on July 17, 2015
I have the ReTrace Deluxe. It looks like the only software that will work with it is Their own program. You can download it from the Celestron site. I have Windows 7 and had to run in Compatibility Mode to get it to work. The buttons across the top of page (load POI, Save POI, etc...) are blacked out but STILL WORK if you know where to click on the screen. I ran the program first and it would not connect to my ReTrace Deluxe. I then noted where the buttons on the screen are that I needed. I ran in compatibility mode and the program works if you know where to press on the screen to load tracks, etc.... you may use marker to mark your screen when you first run the program to help later...
on September 29, 2013
It is nice for point to point travel (ie: on my sailboat) but has a serious lack of battery life. It is also limiting because you can only manage way points on the computer. I only payed $25 for it (used) so I really cant complain.
on December 12, 2011
24 hours after putting in new varta batteries into the new retrace deluxe they were totally empty, although I only did the settings of time, meter and celsius degree and tried (five or six times) to get a satellite signal.(It was +2°Celsius, so not too cold for the batteries!) The acquiring time always was longer than 5 minutes, later in the car it was not able to get any signal, and when at least I got the coordinates of my place, they soon faded away again. Now, maybe because of changing batteries, my settings are gone.
Got no answer when e-mailing on the support internet page of celestron.
No possibility of software download for MAC-users!!!
No use for real outdoor activities with that operation duration and problems of receiving. My rating: 0 Stars
on March 17, 2014
This is a great item for outdoor people. My husband is trying learn how to use it but it seems it won't be a problem
on November 13, 2014
Hard to use
on January 14, 2014
Great item but. When using breadcrumb trail mode, if you run out of battery power or shut off gps you can't save the trail.

See 1 answered question