4.0 out of 5 stars Celestron reTrack Deluxe
The Celestron reTrace Deluxe GPS acquires satellite signals quickly, even under thick foliage. Basically it is a nifty little GPS device that if left turned on, plots your route on a LCD screen (about 1.8 inches) as a series of dotted (bread crumb trail) lines that shows the person's movement without an underlying map on the LCD screen. You can also navigate with the...
Published on July 15, 2011 by Thomas Allen

1.0 out of 5 stars Celestron reTrace Delux review
I did a lot of research before I decided to buy this unit, as well as a second one as a Christmas present for a relative. I was aware from previous reading that the directions that accompanied this unit were poor and that one had to go to a download from their website to figure out how to operate it. That was the least of my problems. I have tried to use the unit to...
Published on February 12, 2012 by art m

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars battery, January 17, 2013
the battery last a few hours even with lithium that are more expensive, difficult to program and use, display difficult to read if sunny

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Apr 10, 2013 10:30:18 AM PDT
Celestron says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Hi Herman,

I'm sorry that you are experiencing difficulties with your reTrace Deluxe. I have a few suggestions that may help improve its battery performance. One thing you can do is set the unit to automatically turn off in intervals of 5, 15, 30, and 60 minutes. Setting this to a low number like 5 minutes will help with battery life. Also, if the backlight remains on, this will draw heavily on the battery. You can change the settings for this feature as well. If you haven't already, please go to http://www.celestron.com/sports_outdoors/celestron-retrace-deluxe-white.html, click on the Support tab, and download the complete manual. Instructions are found in the "Settings" section.

There is a chance that your unit has a defect and that this is causing the battery to drain. If after changing the settings you are having the same problems, contact technical support: http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=tickets&_a=submit

We back this product with a 2 year warranty, so we'll be happy to replace the unit if it's defective.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice, March 17, 2014
This is a great item for outdoor people. My husband is trying learn how to use it but it seems it won't be a problem

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice and small but poor battery life, September 29, 2013
K (Southern California) - See all my reviews
It is nice for point to point travel (ie: on my sailboat) but has a serious lack of battery life. It is also limiting because you can only manage way points on the computer. I only payed $25 for it (used) so I really cant complain.

1.0 out of 5 stars very disappointed, December 12, 2011
24 hours after putting in new varta batteries into the new retrace deluxe they were totally empty, although I only did the settings of time, meter and celsius degree and tried (five or six times) to get a satellite signal.(It was +2°Celsius, so not too cold for the batteries!) The acquiring time always was longer than 5 minutes, later in the car it was not able to get any signal, and when at least I got the coordinates of my place, they soon faded away again. Now, maybe because of changing batteries, my settings are gone.
Got no answer when e-mailing on the support internet page of celestron.
No possibility of software download for MAC-users!!!
No use for real outdoor activities with that operation duration and problems of receiving. My rating: 0 Stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Great gps but, January 14, 2014
Great item but. When using breadcrumb trail mode, if you run out of battery power or shut off gps you can't save the trail.

Celestron reTrace Deluxe GPS