Celtic Angels at Christmas
Price:$7.11 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

The title pretty much says it all. If you are a fan of Celtic music, there is no denying that the performers on this television presentation are talented and appealing. This special was shot in 2006/7, aired in 2008, and is just now receiving a DVD release. With dance, vocals, and instruments--this is an eclectic mix of traditional Christmas hymns mixed with original Gaelic pieces. The variety is certainly one of the selling points. While all of the singers have lovely voices, I really enjoyed the harp and fiddle solos. But I did appreciate that even when covering an old warhorse like "Silent Night," the interpretation used a combination of languages for a unique version.

If this type of music appeals to you, this presentation has its strengths (the performers) and a major drawback as well. The budget for this piece seems to have been about twelve cents. Shot in a single room with a sheet draped across the background to simulate winter (with assorted props), this has all the style of a homemade cable access program. When the ladies sit on stumps to reminisce, it's fairly awkward. But, of course, you don't need a lot of extraneous material if you can sing and play beautifully. The lack of a real set, however, is most noticeable on the dance sequences with the solo clog to "Winter Wonderland" being very sad indeed (no offense to the talent).

Here's the roster. The DVD runs at 48 minutes (a one hour TV special with the commercials edited out). I liked it. The ladies have talent to spare, I just wish the production had received more thought and care! KGHarris, 10/11.

Sabra MacGillivray Dance Interpretations:
1) Timour The Tartar (group number), with Kendra's accompaniment
2) Winter Wonderland (solo)

Maggie MacInnes Celtic Harp and Gaelic Vocals:

2) The Holly And The Ivy
3) Silent Night, with Maggie and Stephanie
on December 1, 2011
Verified Purchase
Let me first say, I completely agree with the previous review and I'll add a few more observations. The lack of a live audience was way too obvious so there was no reaction or interaction with each performance. Some of the songs were abruptly ended to accommodate what was a TV commercial or personal comments from the performers.
Also, there was very little musical accompaniment with each song. Most performances included either a violin or an acoustical guitar. There was an electric piano on one performance and a harp on occasion. Overall, the show was reasonably well done and the talent of the performers is good but not outstanding. It's a good buy at the current price of about $3.00. I wouldn't recommend spending a whole lot more or you may end up feeling like you didn't get much bang for your buck.
on January 8, 2014
Verified Purchase
I saw these Angels on the Hallmark "SpiritClips" channel and loved their music. I purchased this DVD as a gift and my friend throughly enjoys the music as well. The Angels incorporate some traditional Christmas songs as well as a few Gaelic tunes as well.