It seems like almost every 5/5 reviewer here wants to tell everyone how fantastic this Christmas album is, if only one loves Celtic music. Well, I like Celtic music quite a bit and it really isn't a Wow! That's Fantastic! collection of music as one would expect from seeing all of the 5/5 ratings.

The half of the songs on this album that are instrumentals,...
Published on December 11, 2012 by Not my real name guy

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Christmas background music
I liked the selection, but some of the songs seem really homespun and not very good. However, it was worth the price.
Published 24 months ago by Swill

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars for Music, 5/5 for Value: Very Pleasant Instrumentals, Forgettable Vocal Songs, December 11, 2012
This review is from: Celtic Christmas (MP3 Music)

The half of the songs on this album that are instrumentals, mostly of well-known traditional carols such as Deck the Halls, Good King Wenceslas, The Holly and The Ivy, etc... really are excellent and feature that fiddle, flute, and sometimes harp and guitar combinations that one expects from Irish folk music.

As to the vocal numbers, well, I don't think I had ever heard a single one of them and I don't suspect many will hear them outside this collection; they do not have that "Christmas classic" sound to them. The vocal songs mostly seemed to be contemporary attempts at sounding like Irish Christmas music (sung by a female lead singer who sounds more like a Californian trying to sing Irish songs than a born-and-bred resident of Eire) rather than songs that actually bring to mind the Christmas season. There is something about the well-known Christmas songs - be they traditional, classical or popular - that simply sounds like the holiday season, more so than just from inclusion of words like "Christmas," "Noel," "bells," "snow," etc... or from years of Pavlovian-like association with the holiday season. The vocal songs in this collection simply lack that Christmas feel to them and while reasonably played and sung, are rather forgettable. My very traditionalist mother-in-law remarked that the vocal numbers all seem to sound the same after a while and although that may not be exactly true musically and tonally, it is fairly accurate from a character standpoint.

But at a measly two bucks for 20 songs, this is a great value. There are more than enough songs in this collection that are very good to provide an excellent value for anyone who doesn't need to hear Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, or Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer to call it enjoyable Christmas music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Skip the vocals but keep the instrumental., November 14, 2013
This review is from: Celtic Christmas (MP3 Music)
Maybe my headset died when I bought this album but to me it sounds like a poor quality recording/compression. Also note that there are two distinct styles of music on this, instrumental & vocals. For $0.69 though it was worth it to get the instrumental pieces.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Christmas background music, December 23, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Collection, November 20, 2012
This review is from: Celtic Christmas (MP3 Music)
"Celtic Christmas" is a lovely collection of Christmas songs for those who love the music and voice of the Irish. It spans a number of sub-genres, from traditional folk tunes to famous carols. It is probably NOT for those who do not appreciate listening to Celtic groups in general, or watching Riverdance perform.

But for those who DO enjoy those things, this collection will be a welcome addition, and if some of the songs duplicate other Christmas collections they have, the voice and the music of these Celtic renditions is sure to make the duplicates worthwhile in their own right.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much singing, November 27, 2013
This review is from: Celtic Christmas (MP3 Music)
The female lead singer is not very good. But I love the instruments. Had there been less singing it would have been great.

2.0 out of 5 stars Imagine a family of homely Celts huddled around the fire in ugly Christmas sweaters..., November 3, 2014
This review is from: Celtic Christmas (MP3 Music)
I almost feel guilty about writing a negative review for an album that doesn't even cost a dollar. However, those who see all the 5-star reviews and expect to hear one wonderful song after the next are sure to be disappointed, and I wanted to make that known. There are 3 or 4 songs done in the "traditional" Celtic style of pipes and strings. These are lovely and very much in keeping with the holiday spirit. The rest of the songs, though, sound like they were recorded by a well-meaning but slightly tone-deaf family of amateur musicians using what I think was a PlaySkool My First Tape Recorder. All that said, it's still cheaper to buy the whole album than the few good tracks, so this album is still a win.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Christmas music, November 28, 2013
This review is from: Celtic Christmas (MP3 Music)
Unamginative orchestrations, some songs are not obviously Christmas songs. Barely worth the small price I paid for it. Nota good deal

4.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag, but mostly good, December 24, 2013
This review is from: Celtic Christmas (MP3 Music)
I love Celtic music, so when I saw "Celtic Christmas" on sale for 69˘, I ordered it. My expectations were just so-so after reading the mixed reviews. I was pleasantly surprised that most of the music is fairly listenable, especially the instrumentals, including a very nice short version of "Greensleeves." The vocals aren't as strong, but they're not bad either.

Listen to the samples and see what you like. Overall, it's a pretty good album, certainly worth the low price that I paid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, sadly., November 23, 2013
Iwona K. (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celtic Christmas (MP3 Music)
I really wanted to like it, but I guess you get what you pay for. The songs were Ok, but I found myself reaching to change songs quite often. The singing was rather plain and not very special. I was expecting something else I guess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, May 15, 2013
This review is from: Celtic Christmas (MP3 Music)
I love Celtic music and I love Christmas. Couldn't have made me happier than to find this album. And yes, I do play it sometimes when it's not Christmas. Here in the Arizona low desert, it makes me feel cooler...

Celtic Christmas