Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$0.99

on December 11, 2012
It seems like almost every 5/5 reviewer here wants to tell everyone how fantastic this Christmas album is, if only one loves Celtic music. Well, I like Celtic music quite a bit and it really isn't a Wow! That's Fantastic! collection of music as one would expect from seeing all of the 5/5 ratings.

The half of the songs on this album that are instrumentals, mostly of well-known traditional carols such as Deck the Halls, Good King Wenceslas, The Holly and The Ivy, etc... really are excellent and feature that fiddle, flute, and sometimes harp and guitar combinations that one expects from Irish folk music.

As to the vocal numbers, well, I don't think I had ever heard a single one of them and I don't suspect many will hear them outside this collection; they do not have that "Christmas classic" sound to them. The vocal songs mostly seemed to be contemporary attempts at sounding like Irish Christmas music (sung by a female lead singer who sounds more like a Californian trying to sing Irish songs than a born-and-bred resident of Eire) rather than songs that actually bring to mind the Christmas season. There is something about the well-known Christmas songs - be they traditional, classical or popular - that simply sounds like the holiday season, more so than just from inclusion of words like "Christmas," "Noel," "bells," "snow," etc... or from years of Pavlovian-like association with the holiday season. The vocal songs in this collection simply lack that Christmas feel to them and while reasonably played and sung, are rather forgettable. My very traditionalist mother-in-law remarked that the vocal numbers all seem to sound the same after a while and although that may not be exactly true musically and tonally, it is fairly accurate from a character standpoint.

But at a measly two bucks for 20 songs, this is a great value. There are more than enough songs in this collection that are very good to provide an excellent value for anyone who doesn't need to hear Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, or Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer to call it enjoyable Christmas music.
77 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2013
Maybe my headset died when I bought this album but to me it sounds like a poor quality recording/compression. Also note that there are two distinct styles of music on this, instrumental & vocals. For $0.69 though it was worth it to get the instrumental pieces.
on November 3, 2014
I almost feel guilty about writing a negative review for an album that doesn't even cost a dollar. However, those who see all the 5-star reviews and expect to hear one wonderful song after the next are sure to be disappointed, and I wanted to make that known. There are 3 or 4 songs done in the "traditional" Celtic style of pipes and strings. These are lovely and very much in keeping with the holiday spirit. The rest of the songs, though, sound like they were recorded by a well-meaning but slightly tone-deaf family of amateur musicians using what I think was a PlaySkool My First Tape Recorder. All that said, it's still cheaper to buy the whole album than the few good tracks, so this album is still a win.
I love Celtic music, so when I saw "Celtic Christmas" on sale for 69¢, I ordered it. My expectations were just so-so after reading the mixed reviews. I was pleasantly surprised that most of the music is fairly listenable, especially the instrumentals, including a very nice short version of "Greensleeves." The vocals aren't as strong, but they're not bad either.

Listen to the samples and see what you like. Overall, it's a pretty good album, certainly worth the low price that I paid.
VINE VOICEon November 30, 2014
'I don't like it' seems an unfair translation of my assessment of this album of songs. Some of the songs are ok. Their execution, however is not. Most of the instrumentals are performed on the pennywhistle and some other instrument, usually a stringed instrument, maybe a harp or fiddle or guitar. There are several vocal pieces. These are poorly done and leave a bad impression of the album as a whole. The two women (usually it seems to be the same two women) are not bad amateurs, but they're pretty poor 'professional' musicians. To be fair, they seem to be stuck trying to sing some pretty challenging pieces. But it helps to know one's limits. They don't seem to be the least bit embarrassed to sing off key or with awkward harmonies.

And to save all of you who are itching to write me to tell me what an unkind reviewer I am, I will only say my review is not that of a professional. I express my opinion, to which I'm entitled, just as you are entitled to your opinion.
on December 23, 2012
I liked the selection, but some of the songs seem really homespun and not very good. However, it was worth the price.
on November 20, 2012
"Celtic Christmas" is a lovely collection of Christmas songs for those who love the music and voice of the Irish. It spans a number of sub-genres, from traditional folk tunes to famous carols. It is probably NOT for those who do not appreciate listening to Celtic groups in general, or watching Riverdance perform.

But for those who DO enjoy those things, this collection will be a welcome addition, and if some of the songs duplicate other Christmas collections they have, the voice and the music of these Celtic renditions is sure to make the duplicates worthwhile in their own right.
on November 19, 2014
I just bought Celtic Christmas for my Kindle Fire. I love this music, some it it may not be to my taste, but I just may get end up liking all the music. I used to own a Christmas tape years ago it was a Christmas Music Box Tape. I have looked for it but have not been able to find it. This Celtic Christmas album helps replace that tape and that makes me happy. This album is mostly music with some singing, if you enjoy Celtic music than I hope you will enjoy this album. It makes me feel like it is Christmas!
on December 6, 2015
I didn't love the voices on the chorale songs. They were very tinny, and some of them didn't sound Irish at all but yet they tried to "impersonate" an Irish singer? The instrumental selections were lovely, though.
on May 15, 2013
I love Celtic music and I love Christmas. Couldn't have made me happier than to find this album. And yes, I do play it sometimes when it's not Christmas. Here in the Arizona low desert, it makes me feel cooler...