Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 27, 2012 5:58:49 PM PDT
greenblade says:
I'm trying to find a BD song, maybe released about the same time as Silvio, that has a sort of Irish reel kind of feeling to it, particularly as the song fades out.
Like some of U2's early songs or Big Country, but not as bombastic.

Any help much appreciated.

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 2:41:35 AM PDT
BillK 8 says:
need a little more info. remember any lyrics at all?

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 7:18:33 PM PDT
greenblade says:
Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I realized the song was "Dignity." The guitar solo at the end has just enough of the "Irish reel" kind of feel to make the song fit comfortably with Big Country, Jethro Tull and others on Vol. 3 of my "Celtic rock" playlist. I am open to suggestion for others, though. Like Van Morrison, what song of his has the most "Celtic" feel?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 8:22:47 PM PDT
BillK 8 says:
I'm glad you found what you were looking for, because I never would have made that connection. Not saying you're wrong, just that it hadn't struck me that way.

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 6:51:15 AM PDT
greenblade says:
Thanks again. I know it's a stretch. I guess I just wanted a little BD on the playlist. As I said, I'm open to suggestion.

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 2:59:03 PM PDT
BillK 8 says:
well, I'm going to have to listen to "Dignity,: since I haven't heard it in quite a while, but, just based on my recollection, I can see (hear) the 'Celtic' connection. I'm not connecting it to U2, however. Since you brought it up, I wish someone would do a Celtic-folky cover of it....

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 3:29:42 PM PDT
greenblade says:
Some early U2 stuff:
Sunday Bloody Sunday is based on a circular bagpipe-ish or Irish reel kind of riff. It also has a very martial beat.
40 is kind of like an old hymn or lament for better days--the Irish, historically, are always wishing for the better time (an end to the troubles and/or potato famine) or place (going to America). "How long to sing this song?" It's part of the national personality.
U2 got away from that kind of thing later.

These songs sound very much in place next to Big Country, Pogues, some Jethro Tull, Dire Straights Brothers in Arms, etc.

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 11:49:05 PM PDT
BillK 8 says:
OK, I'm going to check it out. You just reminded me that I'm not really familiar with U2 pre Joshua Tree.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 11:53:44 PM PDT
BillK 8 says:
btw, if you like Celtic singers, you might want to check out Luka Bloom. I would especially recommend his cover of Dylan's 'Make you Feel My Love,' and LL Cool J's 'I Need Love.'

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 8:06:44 AM PDT
greenblade says:
I do like Celtic singers, and also like to create playlists of artists stepping outside their usual "style." Led Zeppelin, for example, does Celtic in the Battle of Evermore, mambo in Fool In The Rain, funk in The Crunge. Most people think of them as "metal" or hard rock, but they were actually pretty eclectic.

Btw, U2's "40" is, as I recall, also lyrically based in one of the psalms, which befits the band's early religious inclinations.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 9:15:47 PM PDT
BillK 8 says:
ah!! then also look up Luka Bloom's "Dancing Queen."

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 9:17:11 PM PDT
BillK 8 says:
...and, sample some of Tim O'Brien's album of Dylan covers, "Red on Blonde."

Posted on May 5, 2012 8:44:56 PM PDT
greenblade says:
Thanks for the Luka tip! I'll try O'Brien next.
I listened to Dignity today on my Celtic playlist and the guitar sound, especially at the end of the song, makes it work.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 4:07:38 PM PDT
J. A. Moss says:
Van Morrison recorded an entire album with the Chieftans. I believe it was called Irish Heartbeat. You may want to check it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 4:20:02 PM PDT
greenblade says:
Thanks, I have a lot of VM, incl., the Chieftains one. Which of his earlier records, such as Moondance or Astral Weeks, do you consider the most "celtic" sounding?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Mar 27, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Essential Bob Dylan
The Essential Bob Dylan by Bob Dylan (Audio CD - 2000)
4.4 out of 5 stars (304)