4.0 out of 5 stars Truly a Gem., February 23, 2006
This review is from: Celtic Treasure: Daily Scriptures and Prayer (Hardcover)
"Celtic Treasure" is a gem of a source for people who need a way to focus their attention on prayer, quiet, and seeking God. The illustrations are lovely, the wording is simple yet complex, and the prayers lead the reader into a sense of grace and wonder. From the lighting of the candle to illustrate the love of God as the light of the world to the blessing uttered before extinguishing the flame, the reader can be led into a peace-filled place to see the Creator at work. The scripture story is easy to read, but a deeper knowledge of the Bible tells the reader that the point of the story has been gathered into a comprehensible nutshell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prayers that help spiritual growth., January 9, 2007
Dawn M. Richards (Oklahoma City, OK USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celtic Treasure: Daily Scriptures and Prayer (Hardcover)
Philip Newell's scriptures and prayers in Celtic Treasure, awaken us to new ways of thinking and experiencing our relationship with God. Through the use of images of light, creation, harmony, peace, being made in the image of God, spirit, etc. we are drawn closer to the true relationship that God intended us to have with Him. The translation of scripture is easy to read and could be used in settings with both children and adults. The format of prayer and scripture can be used to open or end a bible study or other small group setting, or can be used for individual meditation.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful devotional book, May 19, 2007
This review is from: Celtic Treasure: Daily Scriptures and Prayer (Hardcover)
I ordered this book after reading Listening for the Heartbeat of God, another volume by J. Philip Newell. I wasn't sure what to expect of Celtic Treasure, but it exceeds any expectations I could have had. It's a beautiful book, printed on heavy-weight paper, gorgeously illustrated, and hard bound. It is obviously meant to withstand years of daily use. I couldn't recommend this book more highly. Please gift yourself or a lucky other with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect book for personal prayer, January 9, 2007
This review is from: Celtic Treasure: Daily Scriptures and Prayer (Hardcover)
This is a beautifully written yet simple book of prayer richly rooted in the Celtic tradition. The language is both poetic and very ordinary - it soars and it yet says what one's praying heart may long to say in very ordinary language. It is a keeper!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Supplementary to One's Daily Prayer Life, May 9, 2014
Jack Douglas (Fayetteville, AR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celtic Treasure: Daily Scriptures and Prayer (Hardcover)
I am Episcopalian, so I normally use the Book of Common Prayer (BCP), 1979 edition, for the Daily Offices. However, for the noon prayers, I do need it on most days to be cut very short and I love the Celtic feel that the prayers in this book add so I find "Celtic Treasure" very useful here. It is slightly longer than page 138 (noon prayer for an individual) of the BCP, but well worth it, because there are different prayers everyday and it kind of breaks the monotony.

When this book calls for a candle being lit, often times I am not at a place where I can do so. Instead, I just visualize a candle being lit and when done, I "see" the candle being extinguished.

There is a set of 49 prayers here. One for each day for seven weeks. Each week goes through a different theme. For example, week one is about Creation, week four is about Wisdom and week six is about the Gospel. I see this through the scriptural reading and the individual prayer for that day. This book is also filled with beautiful artwork and Celtic designs, very useful for a simple meditation, or a moment to reflect.

This book has a very heavy binding to it. The pages are also thick and heavy. This book is sure to last for several years, so it is a bargain, even if one uses it quite often, like on a daily basis....

At this time, I would also like to recommend the book, "Celtic Benediction: Morning and Night Prayer" by the same author. That book is an excellent companion to the Morning and Evening Prayers of the Daily Offices. Read my review there to see how I do use it in conjunction with the BCP.

I give "Celtic Treasure" 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful way to make a connection, January 28, 2011
This review is from: Celtic Treasure: Daily Scriptures and Prayer (Hardcover)
A valued friend who recently used this book in a workshop on Yoga in Advent recommended that I purchase it. I have been searching for a way to reconnect with my higher power and to enliven my morning devotional practice, and this book fits the bill. It has beautiful prayers and readings.

Every morning at 5:30 a.m. before I head out to my morning "Boot Camp" exercise class, I light a candle and read the day's prayers and readings from this marvelous book. It avoids the "religiousity" of some other devotionals; it is deeply spiritual and moving. I feel my connection growing each day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good group guide toward reflection, December 29, 2008
This review is from: Celtic Treasure: Daily Scriptures and Prayer (Hardcover)
The beautiful and whimisical illustrations by masters and child are a delight! The interpretation of the different bible passages are interesting to discuss and often offer an new way of looking at a message. The prayers are reflective and can be both calming and powerful... It is wonderful to add a journaling activity to reflect on the ideas presented.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true treasure, January 14, 2013
This review is from: Celtic Treasure: Daily Scriptures and Prayer (Hardcover)
I use this book regularly in my work as a Hospice chaplain. It never fails to create a peaceful setting for patients who are at end of life. Highly recommend it for working with those who are dying or bereaved.

4.0 out of 5 stars Celctic Treasure is a good book, June 30, 2008
This review is from: Celtic Treasure: Daily Scriptures and Prayer (Hardcover)
I flip through the book daily and really appreciate the simplicity of it. it is exactly what I thought it would be, except for the fact that some of the prayers are often repeated. None the less, it was what i was wanting in a book of scripture and prayer and keep it by my bedside to refer to it when i wake and before i sleep. If you are looking for something simple, yet fulfilling in a sense, I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure in more ways than one, September 17, 2014
This review is from: Celtic Treasure: Daily Scriptures and Prayer (Hardcover)
When our grandkids visit, we do a prayer from this at night. We light a candle and read a prayer, each reading different parts of the pages the prayers are on. This is beautifully illustrated and is a lovely book with which to follow the hours of prayer. Everything this author produces is well worth having.

Celtic Treasure: Daily Scriptures and Prayer
Celtic Treasure: Daily Scriptures and Prayer by J. Philip Newell (Hardcover - October 4, 2005)
$22.00 $16.58