Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 28 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on September 7, 2000
This CD is absolutely incredible. O'Carolan is about the best composer that ever lived, it is about time that someone compiled some of his best works. I listen to this CD nearly every day. I find it very relaxing. Whenever I hear Planxty Burke, or Eleanor Plunkett - my mind is bombarded with images of rolling greens and Irish rain. A truly beautiful compilation of music that flow and work very well with each other.
on June 7, 2006
Though I have listened to quite a bit of Celtic music and really love bagpipes, this introduction to "The Legacy of Turlough O'Carolan" has captivated my entire being. There are melodies which have me up on my feet dancing to the tune of quiet waltzes (Si Bheag, Si Mhor by William Coulter; Captain O'Kane by Seamus McGuire) or either attempting some type of jig! My all time favorite is "Lord Inchiquin" performed by Deiseal. This is a fascinating and fun piece of music that transports me back to the 17th century to join others in a spirited dance at some outdoor festival! Marvelous!! Additionally, the biography supplied giving details of O'Carolan's life is inspiring considering what would seem like an insurmountable physical limitation - blindness! Buy a copy of this CD! Enjoy!!
on November 16, 1998
This collection is truly inspired. Honestly, it is difficult to believe that the music was written in the 1700s. The artists give great interpretations, and the music makes you think you are sitting with a Guinness in a great Irish pub somewhere in County Donegal. A find!
on October 9, 2005
This was my first exposure to O'Carolan's music and it was a superb experience. It is hard to believe he lived in the sixteen hundreds. His music is beautiful and relevant. I would strongly recommend this CD to anyone who enjoys lovely folk music. Squire Parsons/James Betagh is my absolute favorite arrangement and I could and do listen to it everyday.
on March 31, 2010
This is worth five stars as calm, relaxing. If you are looking for fast or singing music, this is not it. But I like variety, like Ani Minogue, Celtic Women, and calm music like this.
on September 11, 2007
Listening to and appreciating the music on this album can be really enhanced by first reading up on O'Carolan (say on Wikipedia). It is remarkable how the music of a blind, itinerant composer has been preserved over the years. The various artists performing on the album have transcribed the music for their own instruments and ensembles to yield very pleasant listening.

I highly recommend this album.
on January 13, 2016
Absolutely fantastic collection. Some songs are painfully mournful. Some are joyous (Carolan's Concerto!). Someone here complained that they should be played on the harp, but that's not the point here - awesome interpretations
on March 31, 2003
I bought this CD about 3 months ago and I listen to it everyday while at work. It is the most soothing yet exciting selection of music that you could imagine. I would definitely recommend this CD to anyone who enjoys Celtic music. Or just enjoy's sitting down and day dreaming of a far away magical place. I am always day dreaming of a green field with tree's blowing in the wind when I listen to the song "Captain O'Kane".
on April 2, 2013
I love Celtic music, but this is not just Celtic music, but a wonderful blend of Baroque and Celtic. I want to purchase more of Turlough O'Carolan's work. A must have for anyone who loves Celtic music.
on February 20, 2010
This is one of the finest Celtic recordings I own. It was the first I ever purchased and didn't like it much the first few times I listened to it but the more I listened the more I loved it. O'Carolan's music is both timeless and haunting. The musicianship and arrangements are excellent.