5.0 out of 5 stars Celtic Woman on PBS
Well, I finally got to see Celtic Woman's new show, "Believe" on PBS. I really liked it! It was a great show that's beautifully done.
The dvd of "Believe" is viewable, not as bad as I thought it would be. I'm not an expert, as some viewers are, when they say it's not clear. I'm hoping they'll present us with a blue ray next time. There's always hope...
I do miss...
Published on December 5, 2011 by Shelby Schull

3.0 out of 5 stars ok
I was rather dispointed in the poor preformance the Celtic women did on this video. I have normaly expected better.
Published 22 months ago by Timothy E. Winsley

5.0 out of 5 stars Celtic Woman on PBS, December 5, 2011
This review is from: Celtic Woman: Believe (DVD)
I do miss the beautiful Celtic Women, Lynn, Alex, Maeve and Orla, but these three ladies, Lisa K, Lisa L. and Chloe did a magnificent job. Mairead takes fiddle playing to a whole new level and is always a joy to watch.
Lisa Lambe, the new Celtic Woman, has a beautiful voice, blending well with Lisa Kelly and ChloŽ Agnew. They sang some popular Irish songs, along with the old classics. I'm blown away by how these three amazing singers with Mairead's fiddle playing kept the show going without any feelings of something is amiss.
I loved how Mairead played "The Foxhunter and "Mná na hÉireann",("Women of Ireland). The dresses were so beautiful! Love the bagpipes, there's more of them this time. A Riverdance Irish Tap Dancer, Michael Gallagher. is also in this show which makes it an added appeal, especially when he taps when Mairead plays "Mná na hÉireann". Very cute and entertaining!
"Believe" is filmed for the first time in America at The Fox Theatre in Atlanta, GA. So, paying tribute to this charming theatre that's so famous for its broadway musicals, Chloe and Lisa Kelly sang, "I Dreamed a Dream". Lisa Lambe sang, "Circle of Life", who is joined later by Chloe and Lisa with the back-up group of singers. Very beautifully done!
I loved it when Lisa and Chloe sing "The World Falls Away" and Lisa Lambe joins in at the end, all three skip across the stage to finish the song These four Celtic Woman give high entertainment which makes you want to sing along.
I loved Lisa Lambe's "A Spaceman Came Traveling". She puts her all into the song and is not afraid to move around on the stage. Her dress flowed as she danced and twirled to this song.
Chloe's "Ave Maria" was resung by her more matured voice, and she did another amazing job. She didn't do too bad at age fifteen either when she sang another style of this song.
Lisa again gave it her all when she sang "Follow on" and "The Water is Wide. She still my favorite and will always be.
Here is a list of songs that will be on the dvd or the cd of "Believe".
*1."Awakening"--Lisa Kelly, ChloŽ Agnew, Lisa Lambe with Máiréad Nesbitt (Opening song)
*2."Nocturne" sung by Chloe Agnew accompanied by Mairead. (A winning song in the Eurovision Song Contest 1995)
*3."Sailing" sung by Lisa Kelly, Chloe Agnew, Lisa Lambe accompanied by Maraid Nesbitt.
*4."The Foxhunter" played by Mairead Nesbitt which was very entertaining!
*5."The Water is Wide" sung by Lisa Kelly accompanied by Mairead Nesbitt (This is a folk song of Scottish or English origin.)
*6."Bridge Over Troubled Water" sung by Kelly, Agnew, Lambe with the choir,'The Gwinnett Young Singers'. (This is a Paul Simon's song, he wrote it)
*7."Black is the Colour" sung by Lisa Lambe (A Scottish folk song)
*8."Follow On" sung by Lisa Kelly
*9."Ave Maria (Schubert)" sung by Chloe Agnew
*10."Téir Abhaile Riú" sung and danced by Lisa Kelly, Chloe Agnew, Lisa Lambe with Mairead Nesbitt and Michael Gallagher with his Irish tap.
*11."You'll Never Walk Alone" sung by Lisa Kelly, Chloe Agnew, Lisa Lambe with Mairead Nesbitt and "The Gwinnett Young Singers".
*12."A Spaceman Came Travelling" sung by Lisa Lambe (A popular Christmas song in the UK)
*13.A tribute to Broadway sung by Lisa Kelly, Chloe and Lisa Lambe (Songs sung are "I Dreamed a Dream" & "Circle of Life"
*14."A Woman's Heart" sung by Lisa Kelly, Chloe Agnew, Lisa Lambe (This is an Irish song composed by Elenor McEvoy.)
*15."The Parting Glass" sung by Lisa Kelly, Chloe Agnew, Lisa Lambe with Mairead Nesbitt (This is a very popular Irish song and the last song they sung for this concert)
*16."Green Grow the Rushes" is sung by Chloe and Lisa Kelly. This is a Irish folk song sometimes sung as a Christmas Carol.
*17."The World Falls Away" sung by Chloe and Lisa Kelly with Lisa Lambe coming in at the end.
*18."Mná na hÉireann" is played by Mairead with Michael Gallagher joining in later.
*19."Smile" sung by Chloe, Lisa Kelly and Lisa Lambe with Mairead (Cappella)
*20."My Heart was Home Again" sung by Lisa K. and Lisa L.
*21."Walking the Night" sung by Chloe and Lisa L.
All I can say is, these are some amazing songs that Lisa Kelly, Lisa Lambe, Chloe and Mairead perform so well. It's well worth the money to see and listen to them whenever you want in the privacy of your own home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Home Run for Celtic Woman, December 10, 2011
Gary P. Cohen (Staten Island, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celtic Woman: Believe (DVD)
I've watched the latest Celtic Woman special "Believe" the last two nights in a row and actually believe it to be the most entertaining one yet. I've watched "A New Journey" and "Songs from the Heart" probably hundreds of times and, despite that, there are usually some songs that do not appeal to me and I jump over. I absolutely loved every song from this latest show. Lisa is spectacular as usual, (I will miss her during her upcoming maternity leave,) Chloe has never been better and the enthusiasm of Lisa Lambe is starting to grow on me, I just love the way she dances around the stage. What can you say about Mairead other than that she is incredible as usual.
My question is about what they will do with the DVD release? (Why they cannot release these on blu-ray I do not know.) On the PBS showing of "Songs from the Heart," one of the highlights was Alex Sharpe's "You'll Be In My Heart." When the DVD was released this song was gone and replaced with Alex's "True Colors" which, while good, was not as good as the other one. It was even worse with Lynn Hillary's "Carolina Rua" which was neither on the PBS special or the DVD. The only place I was able to see it was on the Amazon Celtic Woman store and it was spectacularly enjoyable. I firmly believe that the cancellation of this song was the beginning of the road for Lynn's departure from Celtic Woman. (I met her in person at a Celtic Woman appearance and told her how much I enjoyed the song, she seemed genuinely appreciative.)
I see only ten songs listed in the Amazon ad for the DVD. Is this possible? There were more songs on the PBS special and I'm sure there were several cut out of that. I just wish they would rerelease all of the concerts on blu-ray and add back all of the songs taken out.
Anyway I'll buy the DVD when it comes out, not only for the music but the special features. (I can never watch enough of Lisa Kelly.)
But I will keep my copy of the PBS special on DVR as well, just in case.

4.0 out of 5 stars 80% in, equals 80% out, December 4, 2011
Dan Coffee (Quad Cities, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celtic Woman: Believe (DVD)
I just watched the PBS showing of the Believe tour tonight and ... although the PBS showing does not include the entire concert, I thought it might be helpful to at least of few of the people (those who buy at a more reasonable price rather than the PBS price for this DVD), to output a few of my thoughts.

Let me first say that I feel reviewing the `performance rather than the product' is on the edge of impropriety in this particular venue, but many people who read these reviews don't realize that, and actually think that critiquing the performance itself IS what this site was intended to achieve. It is for them that I write this.

It depends on your expectations how pleased or disappointed you will be with this performance. If you have not seen the previous shows, my guess is that you will enjoy this show a lot more than if you have seen their earlier performances. Unfortunately, if you have watched the earlier shows, you will have to overcome the disappointment of knowing that it has been downsized by 20%, following the departure of 2 extraordinarily talented ladies and replacing the two of them with one. There again... it probably isn't realistic to expect the same level of satisfaction. Even beyond the adjustment long time fans must make, (losing two people who close followers had grown to love), it is exponentially harder to fill that void created by replacing two with only one. What could they have been thinking when they made that decision?

It appears as though they tried to fill part of the void by adding a `river dance guy' to dance while Mairead plays the fiddle. Also ... to add some variety, they added some children to the routine in the hope of making it more of an extravaganza. Personally I don't want it to be a variety show when the name of the show is Celtic Woman.

The song selections have changed noticeably, with practically no carryovers from their other tours although Ave Maria has been once again resurrected for this tour. What I find the most bazaar selection though, was when Lisa Lambe sings Black is the Colour. This ballad is normally reserved for male singers, and I think that if sung by a woman, it needs the gender of the lyrics reversed (unless it truly was intended to be made a lesbian rendition).

Another thing about this show is the seemingly unnecessary use of handheld microphones. If anyone can explain WHY they used them please fill me in. For my liking they have no place and no purpose. They are usually used to hide the mouth of a singer who is lip-syncing. It doesn't seem to be explained by the possible audio improvement either. The audio quality was no better using them so that doesn't explain it. And on the topic of audio quality, the PBS special had audio which was much too compressed and it was also highly homogenized to the point where the stereo separation only gives you a small dimensional array (and yes ... I have a sound system which is extremely capable of recreating whatever the signals source has the potential to generate.)

...........................Now that the DVD has been released, I am amending this portion of my review to appropriately recognize the quality of the DVD itself. I had previously stated at this point in my review (before the DVD was released) that the last DVD (for Songs From the Heart) was inexcusably poor in video quality, even for a standard definition version. The good news is this one is better than the last; the bad news is, it still doesn't do justice to the capability of the source material. The show was recorded in HD for the PBS broadcast and yet there is no HD disc being offered. Two years ago less than half of all homes had HD TV, but now the transition into HD broadcasting has caused a reversal in this statistic, and additionally ... the price of both the TV and the Bluray players is a third of what it was, For this reason it seems truly inconceivable that an HD disc is not even an option. Worst of all, HD TV causes the shortcomings of standard definition quality to be more noticeably. For this reason it is just that much more imperative for this type of performance to be offered in the best quality possible. Two years ago I might have agreed to a coin flip whether or not to go Bluray, but today it's a no-brainer (at least in my mind). [Enough said about the video...... it is what it is.]

The audio is somewhat better on the disc then what I was experiencing from the PBS broadcast. Whether it is cleaner sounding simply because it has gone through fewer circuit boards or whether it is a different audio mix, I can't say (but in general the audio is improved). One thing I noticed right away was that the shrillness that I heard in Lisa K's voice in the PBS broadcast of the song Follow On had disappeared on the DVD. Even the expansion of the sound stage is improved to some degree. Unfortunately the amount of compression (lack of dynamic range) of the sound is just as overdone on the disc, and the balance of volume between the singers and the background singers, children's choir, and/or the bagpipers, is at times so far off that the girls are almost being drown out.

The DVD cover says Believe Live but in my opinion that is stretching the truth. Yes it is all done at once (in front of a `live' audience), but some of the audio clearly does not match the video. I mention in my earlier comments `the use of hand microphones' and how they sometimes are used to camouflage lip-syncing; in this show it seems to be the other way around. The `live singing' is done with the hand mikes. As for the rest ...... well you be the judge.

One very welcome addition on the DVD was the song My Heart Was Home Again. Even though it was sung with the distraction of the hand mikes, it was sung beautifully and it didn't have the 32 children, the battalion of bagpipers, the overly loud backup chorus or even the riverdance guy to detract from its beauty. A very welcome surprise indeed!

I hope you find this information worth while. (Please don't forget to read the followup comments by clicking below)

4.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment from the last one, February 2, 2012
J. Zhang "eagles" (Wellesley, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celtic Woman: Believe (DVD)
We've enjoyed the song from hearts and a new journey, so I pre-order this DVD as a gift for my wife.

We watched in our home theatre the night we got the DVD.

The quality was good, sound was nice. If I haven't seen the previous two DVDs, I might actually think it was okay. But knowing the previous DVDs and this one was very, unimpressive. At the end we actually still looking for an exciting song.

A lot of the singers disappeared. Some were not totally great but we used to their moves and voices. So having only Lisa and Chloe was disappointing. The new Lisa is pretty but, she is quite showy and different, doesn't really blend in well. Mairead looked a bit uninspired this time also. I guess we were expecting another 100% masterpiece, and could not tolerate an 80% performance.

The Songs choices are a bit strange as well. Other reviewers had mentioned, I concur.

For $14 this is an okay purchase but, if you are new to the band I would recommend the preview two DVDs which are 5 stars. This one is a 4-star.

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyale musical experience., April 17, 2013
rocketpyro (Southwest Wyoming, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celtic Woman: Believe (DVD)
I have most of Celtic Women DVD's and CD's. Their "Songs From the Heart" is a notch above this DVD, but enjoyed both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome music, April 2, 2013
D. Quesal (Macomb, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celtic Woman: Believe (DVD)
These girls always deliver when it comes to singing beautiful songs in their own beautiful way. Some songs I heard before elsewhere; their renditions of them made me love the songs all over again. Meanwhile, they sang songs I never heard before and now those songs are among my favorites to date! This DVD is worth getting if you are a Celtic Woman fan or even if you are just a fan of good music!

4.0 out of 5 stars Celtic Woman: Believe, February 25, 2012
Anne Moore (DeLand, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celtic Woman: Believe (DVD)
I find I'm not watching "Believe" as much as earlier products of Celtic Woman. Perhaps it's because, though beautifully done, it is too "controlled," too much the same and not quite as enchanting. It lacks the "spontaneity" and excitement of earlier productions. -Anne Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars I "Believe" you'll love it!, January 31, 2012
John W. Mann (Lexington, KY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celtic Woman: Believe (DVD)
Whether you are an existing fan of the Irish phenomenon known as Celtic Woman or now wish to become acquainted with them, you will love this, the first of their DVDs recorded on American shores. Filmed at the Fox Theater in Atlanta, GA in Sept. 2011, this DVD includes all elements the world has come to love from this group: fantastic new arrangements of Celtic favourites from Emmy-nominated Musical Director David Downes, mixed in with some contemporary numbers such as Bridge Over Troubled Water, performed with the Atlanta Gwinnett Young Singers, bagpipes augmented by the Atlanta Pipe Band, a salute to Broadway and a "duel" between Irish dancer Michael Patrick Gallagher and fiddling phenomenon Máiréad Nesbitt--joined throughout, of course, by the gorgeous soloists Chloe Agnew, Lisa Kelly and newest member Lisa Lambe-all guaranteed to delight! It is a DVD you can proudly watch without trepidation with your young ones, who will love it too! You can't lose with this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 10, 2014
Love these girls

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 3, 2014
nice

Celtic Woman: Believe
Celtic Woman: Believe by Celtic Woman (DVD - 2012)
$19.98 $11.19