Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

If you haven't read Book 1 of this series, I highly recommend you read Earth Strike: Star Carrier: Book One first to make sure you are up to speed on the characters and their background as the author draws on a lot of the personal relationships, as well as to make sure just who the heck the bad guys are.

This book pick right up where the first one left off, and it is pretty much non-stop action with good character dialogue. I also like how he brings you along on the technological front, which makes the light drive systems more believable. You know you're reading an intriguing . thought-proviking book when you dream about some of the technologies like I did - I wouldn't mind having a replicator!

About the only drawback I have with the book is the different alien names as it was hard for me to keep them all straight. There is a lot of repitition to his other series with idiotic politicians and similar characteristics of the soldier heroes but it's not that big of a deal to me.

Bottom line is this is a good story - well worth the investment on my Kindle. Now, how much longer do we have to wait for the next book in the series?
on May 25, 2011
I like the book, and the series. It has been a fun read with characters that I can believe in their emotions and troubles. I also like where this book is going for the next installment in the series. You can definately see a much larger story being spun out.

What I don't like is the price gouging from the publisher. $7.99 for the kindle book, when I could get the paperback for $4? Come on. Get with the times. E-Books are the way of the future, and I will not be paying twice the price for the ebook over the paperback. I have now flagged the publisher I automatically skip over because of their stance on pricing.
33 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2011
Buy this book. Oh, and the one before it too. If you have not read the previous book, I envy you ;)

This book picks up right after the first one, "Earth Strike: Star Carrier: Book One". The story is complicated and should be read in order.

Set in 2404 AD, humanity has expanded into the surrounding stellar neighborhood with the farthest settlement some 60 light years away. Humainty is under attack by a near-galaxy spanning collective. They want humans to stop developing new technology or face destruction. Best guess is they dont want humanity to discover something we may be on track to find out soon, immortality, transcendence, panspora?

The story is fast paced with plenty of time for plot and charcter development. Well thought out realistic space combat and interesting depth into alien evolution.

Main technologies in use include nonotech, gravitics, FTL, and AI.

Enjoy!
on November 26, 2014
Center of Gravity picks up shortly after the events of the previous book "Earth Strike: Star Carrier: Book One" left off. As such that previous book is very much required reading.

In the previous book we learn that in the future Earth and its handful of colonies are losing a war against a vast interstellar empire. In the last book our heroes barely repelled a large scale invasion of our home solar system. Now in this book our heroes mount a daring large scale offensive operation, taking a fleet of ships deep into enemy space to try and shift the fighting further away from Earth. If the fleet fails the Earth will be left with dangerously few ships to defend itself with.

With the stakes set we finally get to see our heroes taking the fight to the alien invaders. Despite the large amount of world building done in book one, Ian Douglas finds a way to shed even more light on the universe he has created. Detailing a great deal more about the culture of this futuristic Earth as well as their alien enemies. On the down side however there are many explanations and details that are recycled and repeated from book one. This is obviously done for the benefit of new readers, however I found myself sometimes skimming over entire pages of repeated technical information for stuff I already read about.

In terms of the plot the author does a good job of keeping things largely fresh, although it does feel at times that our heroes are doing surprisingly well for a military that has up to that point been largely losing the war.

Overall the book continues to be a very compelling saga that really stands out from the usual crowd of sci-fi works. Its only real flaw is that it can get a tad overwhelming with the amount of detail the author provides about various topics.
This is the second installment in the "Star Carrier" series. It carries forward both the strengths and the weaknesses in this series. This continues to be a considerable work of imagination in which the author successfully produces a dazzling view of humankind's future. His technological prognostications are creative, plausible, and intelligent. From iPhones and Google Glasses today, to mandatory implants and on-board implanted artificial-intelligence computers tomorrow as the author predicts in this series, it all makes sense. The conflict between Earth and the aliens is interesting and made to seem plausible in this second installment.

This novel, in common with Book One, suffers from a lack of character development and an over-reliance on technobabble. The author is quite capable of spending an entire chapter describing the technology of a given class of star fighter, how warp drive works, etc. It all could have been shortened without harming the storyline one whit. On the plus side I will say that the author writes intelligently about how a future warp drive and other technological advances of a similar nature might work. But in this novel the author continues his trend of over-reliance on such long explanations and the reader often feels as though he or she is essentially wading through this to get to the real purpose of the novel. To the credit of this series, the character development in the second novel is a little better, but only a little. The protagonists are still pretty one-dimensional, and one really gets the feeling that the author is not interested in developing these characters -- he would rather explain for the upteenth time about warp drive, artificial intelligences, and other staples of the series.

Despite the above criticisms, this storyline continues to hold my interest and I am off to book three in the series. RJB.
on June 9, 2015
Like in book #1 in the series, there was too much minute "author to reader" technical explanation in this book. Some was repetitive and it often interfered with the pacing of the story, pulling me out of the story and killing the drama. Whatever explanation that was truly necessary -- probably less than half of what was provided -- could have been presented much more effectively and without pulling me out of the story had the author chosen to present it through character dialogue, for example, rather than "author-to-reader" explanation. That being said, I still enjoyed the actual story. Once again, it wasn't a very deep and lacked deeper-level character development, but it was entertaining, which is why it earned the 3rd star from me. Just like book #1, this is the literary equivalent of an action movie -- not a lot of character development, but a lot to watch. I am going to read book #3.
on March 3, 2016
Nice read only a few misspellings , But it will keep you interested in the story line. I have bought a number of his other books in paperback, to read as way cheaper and I can still hold a book, and I already bought 3 , waiting on delivery of real books
on July 11, 2013
Fast Read, but you will probably miss the author's setup for the major battle. So here is the conundrum. The enemy has mote size nano groups which infiltrate brains of sophonts and act as AI intel agents. Thus first problem, such an AI monitoring system would literally be everywhere and the Humans would have been long ago totally compromised. After the first battle in this book the admiral gives a speech telling where he is going. The dust mote AI records it, downloads it to other dust mote AIs who spread it to alien survivors, through more hidden intel nano AIs, who are launching a rescue ship to their base. Supposedly this info spreads to higher AI's who quickly spread the intel to the next target base. That allows the aliens to set up a dispersed defense designed to catch the attacking fleet and bleed it dry. Second problem is the information literally gets there faster than attackers and with lots of time to set the trap. Unfortunately, this is designed to set up the battle sequence so the Humans can win. The Aliens get new data (false data leaked to Alien liaisons in Human fleet) that causes them to reposition there forces to englobe the major target of the attack. That is the third major problem. No battle plan goes as planned, but likewise no battle ever plays out so well as this one did. YITCH YUCK! Too convoluted for it to have worked. Otherwise, the story is exciting and well thought out. Except that certain fighter pilot characters are becoming too unkillable, considering the casualty rates. Enjoy! Thanks, Harry!
on November 3, 2013
So accept it- we we are belligerent and warlike. The gross aliens have struck the first blow, but our contractors have provided the Navy with super-fast recon drones, massive carriers capable of launching nano fighters, and computer aimed weaponry.
As you read, you'll learn more about the Turusch and their ships- actually hollow asteroids which are very hard to destroy. In an short-distance fight, the human vessels are more fragile. Their fighters are equipped with weapons similar to humans', and warships flown by two. In fact, that is a key element; the aliens are telepathic with their twins:
' Tactician Diligent Effort at Reconciliation trembled with uncontrollable grief. The other part of itself, its literal other half, was dead, as the asteroid enforcer slowly crumpled from within. A portion of the cell from which it commanded both ship and fleet had been partially crushed, the wall smashing in and mangling Diligent Effort's twin.
"No! No! No!" Its Mind Above was shrilling an endless mental cacophony of denial. It was beginning harder to think, harder to even consider what to do. '
This war against an alliance of races still costs the Human fleet in ships and lives....
on December 18, 2014
Well written if a bit repetitive from book one. Questions arise about moral choices without explanatory detail. The mysterious sha'daar want to kill us through their proxies because of our tech progress? From a race millions of years old and they don't even give us a phone call??? We kill the proxies without even talking to them? Sounds like our right wing masturbatory middle east policy. And on top of that squatties are hated because of??? I would recommend ethnic slurs anytime to get your fellow service mates on your side. Bottom line enjoyable but silly.