The 21st Century Economy--A Beginner's Guide
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$10.42 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 9, 2009
Format: Paperback
The 21st Century Economy - A Beginners Guide is fantastic; since reading it, I feel like I can be an informed and active participant in today's politics and current events.

I am a housewife in Oregon but I want to understand what I am hearing in the news, I want to engage in the discussion and be an informed voter. This book helped me with all those things.

Epping describes economic terms in a comfortable and understandable way. He uses real world examples that I can relate with. His topics are exactly in-line with the top stories in the news. His concise explanations help me understand the current economic problems and proposed solutions. Even reading the newspaper, if I come to a term I don't understand, I just open the glossary in the back of the book and get a quick and understandable definition... no wading through dozens of confusing web searches.

This book is outstanding and necessary. I think every American, from school kids to adults, should read it.
on August 9, 2009
Format: Paperback
Years ago Randy Charles Epping wrote "The Beginner's Guide to the World Economy." It was a book that I absorbed eagerly, due to its clearly stated explanation of a topic I assumed would be difficult to understand. But it was a joy to read. I felt empowered by the knowledge it communicated.

Mr Epping has done it again with his new book "The 21st-Century Economy." The readability of this 2009 publication strikes a nice balance between its wonderfully understandable prose content and the way it is visually organized.

I like the Informational Tools interspersed throughout. Quite helpful stepping stones that kept me on track.

The 74-page Glossary is another plus.
on October 9, 2012
Format: Paperback
This is an excellent survey of all the economics topics everyone needs to know right now. Every topic is introduced, briefly discussed, and related to current events and politics. While there's more to each topic than one book can cover, this one presents everything that everybody needs to know right now. Not only that, it has all key words and names you need for further searching and reading on any individual topics of interest.

Unlike many books on popular economics, this one, while slightly left-leaning, is mostly even-sided and objective. Many others are conspiracy theories or one-sided political diatribes. (I do find the conspiracy theories kind of fun though) This book includes everything, including things like the United Nations, environmentalism, and income inequality. Whether you're a liberal or a conservative, though, these topics have an economic impact on current events, and that's what this book is about. Any survey omitting them would be incomplete.

This book should be required reading for all high school seniors, college students, and voters. I doubt even many of the politicians making major economic decisions understand these topics. Voters need to realize this!
on August 14, 2009
Format: Paperback
There is no question the economy is one of the topics at our dinner tables these days. But the media can confuse even the most knowledgeable people by making the subject overly complicated. What I like about this book is its simplicity. It does not contain any supply and demand graphs, or mathematical equations with Greek letters. It is simply, easy to understand, and it helps readers understand the economy so that they can understand the news.

The author says all the economies around the world are interconnected. A plunge in the stock market in the United States has negative effects on financial markets all over the world. If you are confused about how our country found itself in the current economic mess, how the world currencies affect our lives, what the virtual economy is, and how to invest now, then this book will be helpful.

- Mariusz Skonieczny, author of Why Are We So Clueless about the Stock Market? Learn how to invest your money, how to pick stocks, and how to make money in the stock market
on March 1, 2010
Format: Paperback
This book is perfect for anyone interested in learning economic terms widely used in today's economy. I enjoyed how easy it explained terms with facts, real-life examples to get to you to understand the picture. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to know more how this economy affects all of us. I definitely feel more knowledgeable and interested to be more involved in my investments, community, and having opinions that affect us as citizens of the world.
on August 16, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Exactly as described, I would recommend this book to others that will take this political class in the fall. Satisfied!
on September 8, 2010
Format: Paperback
While this book includes many of the terms that other economics books do to explain the economy, I found that its emphasis on the UN, anti-US and socialism completely stilted and and symptomatic of progressivistic ideologic influences. There are many other resources out there that should be read along side it to make it far less political--or at least to balance it out. While people can learn basic terms and information about economy, it does not encourage them adequately as stepping in as business owners into the economy, but instead touts the muted success of UN millinium goals and other policies which I deeply question--a UN which as of this writing may be said to be at least as corrupt as any national government out there.

It accepts the science of global warming which has been deeply criticized as unsound, and touts leaving local values behind for the sake of globalism that is part of a new world order: a world order that accepts without question the imposition of the UN and a European socialism that know no bounds or limitations in NOT vetting participants or imposing international rule on local communities. It hypes government regulation in the US that is sighted by many as currently throttling US productivity, but then in its epilogue calls US citizens fat and the problem, sidestepping the scale and scope of other forces that engender poverty internationally.

There are so many things that it pushes and does not question, that I strongly DO NOT recommend it as a first time economics book. Clearly, if you don't have time to ferret out the slant, look elsewhere. This book should not be the basis of your understanding of economics: remain critical and keep searching for other sources and include in your repetoire many other resources. While it has a lot of business and economic terms, I feel it is in part propaganda.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...