5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, heavy duty and well made

Published 10 months ago by Brian Lam

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, heavy duty and well made, January 31, 2010
Robert (COVENTRY, CT, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Cenzo Duffle Vecchio Brown Italian Leather Weekender Travel Bag (Apparel)
I bought this bag for $200 on Amazon after finding the same or nearly identical bag for $300-$350 on other sites. The leather is high quality, beautiful and the bag is well crafted. The brass hardware is heavy duty and the bag is sturdy. What I love about the bag is that my shirts can go in without being overfolded, and they are easy to pack and unpack. Note that the zipper opens from the top in both directions and goes down to the base. A leather patch on both sides prevents it from falling open completely and provides sides for easy packing. This is standard on all expensive Italian luggage of this type, but unusual for a bag that costs less than $300. So this is well worth the $200 current price tag.

The only complaint I have is that the bag was crammed into too small a box for shipping and after I opened it up, it smelled of tanning fluids and glue. But after a few days of airing it out, the bag is fine. Annoying and almost worth knocking a point off, but I didnt because everything else is excellent as noted above.

Note that this bag is bigger than it looks on the page. But it would fit in an overhead compartment on most planes.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's probably exactly what you're looking for, April 23, 2013
I spent days vetting every similar bag available on Amazon, including price checking manufacturers and other retailers' websites, trying to get a sense of the market. I don't think it's possible to beat the price for this kind of luggage, and Italian leather to boot.

There really are no corners cut in the manufacture of this product, other than perhaps the plastic zipper (which is nevertheless sturdy and probably one reason this beautiful bag is such a steal). The hardware is better than basic, and strong, but not top of the line -- but it's a trifle. In searching for any other negatives, the strap is pretty basic and a little too thin and narrow, meaning it's not very comfortable if you've got 25 or 30 pounds in the bag, but it works. There are no outside pockets, but chances are if you stuff the bag to the gills, you wouldn't be able to fit anything in one anyhow.

The size is perfect for I'd say a two-to four-day trip, and it's absolutely the ideal carry-on. I just recently checked at the airport. It fits headlong or sideways into any larger plane's overhead bin — a major advantage — and will never rouse the contempt of flight attendants or gate checkers looking to cut down on carry on by forcing you to check your bag. At the same time, I was able to pack it for a week-long international trip recently (which is pushing it somewhat) but worth it all to skip the airport carrousels and keep all my important things close by.

It arrived ahead of schedule from Connecticut. It was packed well. Smells beautiful in my opinion, and according to the manufacturer, is tanned using a traditional vegetable process. I don't know if that means the chemicals used to tan the leather are less noxious than contemporary ones, but it sounds appealing. It's the kind of luggage you want to touch for no reason at all.

Happy shopping.

5.0 out of 5 stars The GO TO Weekend Bag, November 12, 2010
While this bag took forever to get due to shipping issues from Italy and living in a far flung state the end result is an amazing bag. This bag is perfect for a weekend get away. It can fit an extra pair of shoes and all the essential items for a long weekend (up to five days). Fits great in an overhead compartment. The feel of the leather is high end and the price is amazing when compared to other more expensive options. Easy to carry or shoulder. Bottom line for the price this bag beats all others and will be a great travel partner for years to come as the leather will age very nicely. Buy this bag.

4.0 out of 5 stars To Go Bag, August 6, 2010
After an exhausting online search for a leather duffle, the Amazon.com package couldn't be bested by others! Aside from the price point, the assurance that a quality bag would be delivered as well as the customer reviews on other Floto/Cenzo products put my concerns at ease.

The package was sent from Connecticut quickly (though, the package did sit in a local warehouse for 40 hours prior to delivery), and the packaging was adequate for the contents.

As with most belizes I've purchased, there was a period of environmental acclimation (aeration), after which the tote was ready to go. And go this will!

Quite right, the bag is larger than may appear as pictured; that's a good thing. The base of the duffle fits clothes nicely, shoes even. The tall elevation graciously stows enough to keep my attire fresh for three/four day excursions. I'm certain this fine pouch will wear well and keep me company on many jaunts throughout the American West.

The adjustable shoulder strap is not as long as one might expect, but sufficient. I do regret not ordering a matching valet travel kit, or comparable product.

Drop your stuff in, let the zipper whistle shut, sling this bag over your shoulder and go!

2.0 out of 5 stars zipper is not good, March 24, 2014
Brian Lam (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I am a professional gear reviewer with experience in electronics but also luggage and while I agree with the over 100 reviewers here about the general build and value of the bag (nice on both accounts) the zipper is not good. It's plastic and small in tooth, and the clasp broke on mine the first day I got it, so I am using a piece of nylon string to pull the zipper closed. A bag this nice deserves a higher grade zipper, metal if not plastic with larger teeth. That's it. Charge 20 bucks more and include a solid Zipper and I'd give this thing 5 stars. For now, it's a 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bab, good service, September 11, 2011
I travel frequently and I'm tough on my luggage. I've gone through three cheaper duffle bags since January so I needed a tougher solution. This thing is strong, has lots of room, and is just what I needed. There was a problem with the original strap that came with the bag, but Matt sent me another immediately at no charge. I recommend this bag to anyone looking for quality that comes with excellent customer service. I didn't want to write this review only because I don't want to see anyone else rockin the same bag as me, but that would be selfish so, there you have it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy for Years to Come!!!, December 12, 2011
I purchased this bag for my boyfriend for his birthday. He travels around the region frequently, but usually only for 2-3 nights at a time. He'd been wanting something that can accommodate his travel but looks nice.

I'm not sure you can beat the quality of this bag for the price. It is beautiful and the detailing is just enough to speak to the quality, while still being simple and elegant.

The bag is big enough for a couple of pairs of shoes at the bottom, which is great since he usually takes a brown pair, a black pair, and tennis shoes for the gym. Then you can put in your clothes and enough room for a toiletry bag.

We haven't tried this bag at the airport, but I think it could go through as a carry-on. I wouldn't want to check it anyway, because I wouldn't want it getting all messed up, but it would probably be fine.

This is definitely a piece that he will have for many years to come. It is classic and elegant and will never go out of style. I would absolutely recommend this bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Golden Mean, August 6, 2012
M. Ingram (Cheraw, SC United States) - See all my reviews
Now that I've taken this bag on a few trips, I can report that it is just the right size; fits overhead in an airplane (even prop jobs); holds enough for a weekend jaunt; looks and feels great; and is very sturdy. It even makes a nice cat bed (see photo).

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything is just as it is supposed to be, May 16, 2011
Hammerhead (Ashburn, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I was surprised when someone bought this for me as a gift. I tagged it on my wish list but didn't expect it. It was even better than I thought it would be from the amazon description. Heavy duty, quality stitching and seams, the zipper looks to be top quality, it's a beautiful piece and it's just very well made. You won't be disappointed if you get this because you are looking for a leather overnight duffel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Travel in style!, March 28, 2011
I purchased this bag as a gift for my 20-something son on his birthday. The best gifts are always items that are 'nice-to-have' and not 'must-have'. This unexpected gift was well received. For air travel, the typical rolling carry-ons are fine, but for weekend car excursions, duffles or non-roller bags are more suitable. This bag met all expectations for traveling in style, as well as function. The leather is high quality; the construction is durable and good looking, and the capacity is great for a long weekend. Leather bags can be heavy, but this one is a good weight; fully packed is not too heavy. One note: the strong smell upon unpacking was evident, but after airing it out for one week, it was fine. In conclusion, this made the perfect gift - stylish, practical, and really nice to have.