5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic+++
Our family of five (three teenagers) has been using a Ceragrav system for eight months, so I thought it would be a good time for a product review.

Published on March 29, 2012 by J. Bush

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as attractive (nor as expensive) as a Berkey
I swapped the CeraGrav filters for the Doulton ceramic filters which I believe reduced throughput, but as far as I can tell the quality of water is similar to that of a Berkey, but for considerably less money.

Published 12 months ago by Darmo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic+++, March 29, 2012
This review is from: CeraGrav LP-5 by AquaCera HDPE Gravity Filter System

We are on a rural water system for which I don't hold a high trust factor. After spending many, many dollars on bottled water, I thought there must be a better way to have safe drinking water. I began researching gravity filters, including the Berkey series. I researched the different types of filters considering labatory results as well as user reviews.

My results of several weeks of research led me to understand that both Ceragrav and Berkey seemed to be well-liked, capable systems. My final selection resulted in the Ceragrav over the Berkey because we can see the water level through the translucent Ceragrav housing. I could just picture in my mind the kids filling the upper container on a stainless unit when the bottom container was already full, and causing a big water spill (with stainless housings, you have to remove the upper chamber to get an idea of the water level in the lower chamber...yes, you can add a "water level sight glass option" to the Berkey or other stainless filter housings, but they seem rather fragile).

Ceragrav with two 7" filters has kept up with our water consumption except on the hottest (Alabama) days while the kids are out of school. I'm adding two more 7" filters to increase the production.

The Ceragrav housing and spigot can be easily dissasembled for a run through the dishwasher...very convenient. I am so glad I purchased this product, and so glad that our family is consuming more water now...and at the same time saving lots of money.

EDIT (July 2013): This filter continues to satisfy our clean (and tasty) water needs. Another year has gone by...this system is now two years old. We are still utilizing the original elements...everything still seems as new. This was one of the best investments for family and health we have ever made. I can't even come up with a close second place!

I would like to add that I put the entire unit in the dishwasher every several months (not including the elements). I gently scrub the elements with a fresh Scotch Brite pad...reassemble and refill. This unit is so easy to maintain...

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well, July 18, 2010
M. Smith (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CeraGrav LP-5 by AquaCera HDPE Gravity Filter System
We needed a second filter for our cottage where we spend 8 weeks a year. Our other is a Berkey Light. The water tastes equally good (excellent) and the prep of the filter elements was easier. The only con was that the plugs for the holes for extra elements were incredibly difficult to insert, but I feel certain that they won't leak! I recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for filtering Raw water right out of the river, January 31, 2013
This review is from: CeraGrav LP-5 by AquaCera HDPE Gravity Filter System
There are a lot of counter-top and under-counter water filters out there, but they are meant to filter water that has already been certified as potable (drinkable). We have used this type of filter for 15 years, filtering what's called "raw surface water" from a fast moving, rocky-bottomed river in central CA. We recently had our filtered water tested by a local water system tender, and he seemed surprised by how clean our water was. He found no bacteria. His only suggestion for us was to empty the filtered water into a container to put in the fridge, to keep bacteria from growing in hot weather. We use it so fast though, we empty it so quickly, it seems a bit of over-kill for us, but we'll do that on the hottest days of the year.

We've had guests rave about how good our coffee and tea is, so we think water that has never seen chlorine tastes pretty good.

The first dispenser we tried was made of Terracotta clay, with the ceramic filter inside the top part. Our environment was too humid for that, the outside got a little moldy and that was creepy, so we next got the Stainless Steel dispenser, which was lovely. We used that for 10 years or so, replacing the ceramic candle every 6 months, even though they say it will work for 12 months. It seemed worth it to be that careful. After all these years, though, I'm willing to use a filter up to a year, depending on what the filters themselves look like. If I see a different color showing through the initial outside, I replace them immediately. I clean them about once a month with a natural bristle bottle brush, which fits around the filters while they are still installed, and isn't too stiff to damage them. I keep replacements on hand after 6 months to make sure I have them when I need them.

We gave the Stainless one to a friend and got this plastic version for 3 reasons - we can see how much water is in both the top and bottom, and the plastic one comes with a riser, which we needed to be able to have it at the edge of the sink (drain into the sink), and still be able to put a tall bottle under the filter spout to fill it with filtered water. The 3rd reason is because the plastic dispenser holds more water and we were running out too often with the 2 gallon Stainless version. It seems the 3 gallon size works for us 2 and our 2 small dogs.

Since it's a gravity system, it doesn't require electricity to run, and most importantly, it doesn't require water pressure, either. Our water is pumped into a tank that sits higher on a hill next to the house and gets to us by gravity. We get nearly a gallon a minute, which is not nearly enough to push water through any filter but this one. If we use a kitchen faucet filter, the water drips out, one drip at a time, never making a stream. All things considered, this is the best filter option I found for very low pressure and no power situations.

We've only had the plastic dispenser a few months, but we really like it. We worried about the plastic, but it's food grade, and we use the water so quickly, it's not in the plastic for long. My husband put a battery powered, motion-censer night-light in the riser, and it makes a nice glow when we get water at night.

I guess the real negative to this filter is that you have to manually fill the top for water to come out the bottom, and if you forget, no water! The filters work pretty quickly though, and we found it's pretty easy to train yourself to keep it filled. Really, just wake up some morning without water for coffee, and you'll probably remember after that to fill it before bed - we did, anyway, it was so horrifying! So it's probably a good idea to keep a coffee pot's worth stashed away in the fridge, just like our local water expert said! Over the years our routine has been to fill it twice a day, but we don't have to fully fill the new bigger one unless we have company. That way we don't leave the water in the dispenser too long, but then again, if we have company and need more water, we have it.

The only other negative I can think of is that the spout that comes with it is kind of flimsy, partly because it's not a great spout, but also because the plastic dispenser is slightly flexible and gives a little with the pressure of using the spout. The stainless version did not do that, and the spout that came with it was better.

We were pleased with the shipping from Amazon, as usual, but I should make clear that I only purchased the latest plastic version through Amazon, I purchased the Terracotta and Stainless versions from a company named Epic Water Systems. But it wasn't till we got this one that we found out the filter was developed for the Queen of England in the 1800's. That tickles me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great service, June 14, 2012
This review is from: CeraGrav LP-5 by AquaCera HDPE Gravity Filter System
I bought the CeraGrav about a month ago but didn't use it right away because I was using the last of my Zero Waste filters. When I set up the CeraGrav I discovered the spigot leaked in two places. I contacted the company by e-mail, through Amazon, to request a replacement. Customer service replied the same day asking me to make sure there were no other problems, such as leaking around the area where it connects to the bottle, because they could also fix that at the same time. When they were satisfied the spigot was the only problem they immediately sent out a replacement. The morning I received the replacement was the fourth day into the communication with them. Very, very quick response. Amazon monitored the e-mails to make sure I was being taken care of in a responsible and timely manner. Great customer service from both. And I find the CeraGrav the most convenient, easy way to have clean drinking water. I am very satified with this product. Nancy

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Tasting Gravity Water Filter System, November 4, 2011
R. T. Adair (Northern California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CeraGrav LP-5 by AquaCera HDPE Gravity Filter System
We use this filter system all the time and have been using it over 5 months now. From the price & quality of the filter & housing to the taste of the water, this was a great deal. It sits next to our kitchen sink on the kitchen cabinet for easier filling and we use it every day, the water tastes great. It comes with 2 filters which provide enough water for every day use, we are a 2 person house and with the ability to expand 3 more elements. Set up instructions are simple. Remember to clean and disinfect per instructions peridically. Other than that, they work fine. Its 29 inches tall and 11 inches in dia. You don't have to sit it next to the sink, that was convient for us, it can sit anywhere you can fit the height. I fill it the night before so water will be in the lower canister the next AM. Also the water tastes great with no plastic taste. Cheers All...

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have, April 29, 2010
This review is from: CeraGrav LP-5 by AquaCera HDPE Gravity Filter System
Our unit was sterilized, "test driven", stowed and ready for duty. Customer Service was very responsive to calls re instructions for properly cleaning the unit. Excellent price per product.

5.0 out of 5 stars refreshing water, August 21, 2012
This review is from: CeraGrav LP-5 by AquaCera HDPE Gravity Filter System
The filter came in 2 days after placing the order. Packaging was excellent. Installation took a matter of minutes. We love the taste of the water. More refreshing than bottled water. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, May 3, 2012
This review is from: CeraGrav LP-5 by AquaCera HDPE Gravity Filter System
Exactly what I ordered. . . .It's a great filter. We've researched nearly every filter of this type made and believe this is the best one out there. The fact it's price more reasonably than its competitors is a bonus. I also called the manufacture directly with a couple of questions. The person answering the phone was friendly, but a promised call back never happened. I called again the next day and was able to talk with one of the people involved with making/designing the filter. He was extremely helpful, friendly and patient, answering all of the questions and explaining everything thoroughly. Despite the mix up on the `call back' I would still strongly recommend this filter and rate it "5 Stars." :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars We love it, December 14, 2012
This review is from: CeraGrav LP-5 by AquaCera HDPE Gravity Filter System
Its great our well water never tasted so clean an pure. You can see the water level so no over filling

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as attractive (nor as expensive) as a Berkey, July 7, 2013
This review is from: CeraGrav LP-5 by AquaCera HDPE Gravity Filter System

In general, I do not love the idea of stacking gravity systems for filtration of questionable water due to the potential of contamination from the untreated upper reservoir, but for treatment of well water or improving the flavor of municipal water, these systems work fine.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›