Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Style Name: Facial CleansersSize: 12 OunceChange

on June 12, 2015
First of all, I'm 24 and have been dealing with horrendous acne since the age of 15. I've been a long time Proactiv fan, but recently it seems like my acne has grown immune to it so I was back on the hunt to find new products. I've tried several, including some prescription ones from my dermatologist but nothing seemed to tame the acne beast within! Finally, I'm writing this review with the clearest skin I've had since I was a little girl (yes, even better than Proactiv when it was working for me!).

First, this is by far the best daily cleanser to use. It doesn't over dry which even if you have oily skin like me, is very important. Often times you won't know if your cleanser is overdrying your face because your body will produce more oil to make up for it, and then you'll have more acne!

Second, you need a good exfoliator to clean away all of the dead skin and gunk that clogs your pores to begin with. You have to be careful because a lot of exfoliators are so harsh on the skin that they can actually open up small microscopic sores that bacteria nestles inside of and creates acne. My favorite exfoliator is TreeActiv Anti Acne & Rosacea Treatment Sulfur Mask Plus Rhassoul, Bentonite Clay Mask with Witch Hazel & Aloe Vera - Refreshing Lemon Scent (1 Jar). This one leaves your face feeling o so fresh! Also, what's best is that this exfoliator also doubles as the product you need for step 4 :)

Third, a good spot treatment is needed! The standard benzoyl peroxide and salycilic acid treatments tend to stop working before you even finish the first tube so it was hard for me to find one that worked really well. Because I liked the exfoliator so much, I tried TreeActiv+ Tea Tree Oil Acne Solution for Advanced Acne Treatment - All Natural Acne Spot Treatment - Blemishes Gone or Your Money Back! by the same brand and it has worked flawlessly!

Fourth, a good mask that helps pull the impurities and bacteria from under the skin is needed about 2 to 3 times a week. Yes MEN, even you guys should use this! My boyfriend doesn't have as bad of an acne problem as I do, but the acne he did have was remedied by just this step alone! TreeActiv Anti Acne & Rosacea Treatment Sulfur Mask Plus Rhassoul, Bentonite Clay Mask with Witch Hazel & Aloe Vera - Refreshing Lemon Scent (1 Jar) is the same product as step 2 but instead of using it as a wash, you apply it to your damp face and let it dry for 15 minutes before using water to wash it off.

If you do all 4 of these steps, I promise you'll have much much much clearer skin :)
66 comments160 of 181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2015
I’ve been using CeraVe since college, its always been a standard go-to product for me, especially during the week days when I’m coming home late and want to quickly wash my face at the sink. I actually like it better than Cetaphil because it foams, and leaves my skin feeling pretty moisturized. It also doesn’t cause my skin to be dry or oily, which is a huge plus because I’ve had some issues with acne in the past. The one thing I can’t recommend this product for however, is if you use make-up. There’s a theory about what kind of facial cleansers to use when you use a lot of foundation, and IMO the best way to clean your face w/ makeup on it is to use a gel cleanser, similar to this one. It’s hard to find in stores, so you can imagine how excitement I was to find out this product on Amazon. Not to how much cheaper it is than buying it at the spa. The reason why I choose CeraVe only for oily skin (not makeup) is because of the consistency that it leaves your face feeling. You’ll have to use a lot of CeraVe to clean off all your make-up, and the more you use the less beneficial it is to your skin, because it can have a drying effect. If you use the cleanser I recommended with makeup you should have a much better time of it. I hope this review helps!
11 comment74 of 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2015
I have struggled with acne since I was nine years old. From 9-14 I had really had acne all over my face, chest, and back, and then I took accutane and that cleared it up. When I was 16, I went on birth control because I would never have a period. At the beginning of this year, I went off birth control and my acne went crazy again because I wouldn't have a period. I got it really bad on my neck and jawline as well as my cheeks, which is where a body usually will break out after coming off of birth control, as well as acne on my shoulders and back. This acne is, of course, not nearly as bad as when I was younger, but still annoying and a confidence shammer, especially since I am 20 years old. This past summer I refused to go to the beach and the pool because I was so ashamed of what my face looked like without makeup and the acne on my back. I bought this after reading reviews on here and after trying a few products that didn't work. I didn't realize that this product wasn't directed for body acne, but it has helped with that as well.
I have been using this product for a little over a month and have seen/felt the most improvement with this product over anything else. Clearing acne is a long process and usually if people don't see instant results, they give up. Don't give up on this! I feel so much more confident with my face, even if all my pimples aren't cleared up, but my face feels so much more smooth because this product really does smooth it out. For the first three weeks I used it once a day in the shower and last week I amped it up to twice a day and I've noticed the most change this past week. This product is wonderful because it smoothes out skin, so it's not itchy and I don't feel compelled to pick acne scabs, which is why it has helped even with my shoulder and back acne even though it's not meant for that. It's cleared up the acne on the top of my back but some still remain on my shoulders and lower back. I may switch to a different solution for body acne, but I am certainly sticking to this for my face. It's incredible!
The first pic is after first use, the second is after a month. Will update with after two months. Also, I still have a lot left in this bottle going into month 2.
review image review image
22 comments67 of 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2015
JUST NO. Broke me out so so so so bad. It feels really nice and soothing on the skin but the effects after are horrible.
on May 8, 2015
Probably a good product but did not work on what I purchased it for. I have seborrheic dermatitis and this did not help with that.
on January 26, 2013
This product is probably amazing, it is just not amazing for me. It is a bit too rich, it makes my face break out.
on February 3, 2013
I used this for about a month after reading the good reviews. It caused me to get terrible blackheads and my pores to look larger. It's very creamy and feels good but my skin did not like it. I will say I do like the Cerave lotion. It helped the dry skin on my legs. I might purchase that product again but this one is not for me.
on October 21, 2015
I thought this would help my face clear of acne, but after a week's use, it made me break out with small pimples all over my face. Especially on my nose, cheeks, and temples. I believe it was possibly clogging my pores. If your skin is finicky, I warn you to be careful with this, for it may cause you to break out too.
on March 16, 2015
Have always heard this is good for sensitive skin. Not for me. It burned my skin and reddened areas that are just now beginning to heal (after a month). Beware anyone who says a brand is for any skin.
on July 17, 2015
This is by far the best facial cleanser on the market. I have tried just about every cleanser on the market (including the infomercial acne treatment, "Proactiv"), and this cleanser beats the rest hands down. It does what it's supposed to: it cleans your face without irritating it. Most cleansers claim to do one thing or another, but most of them attempt to reel you in with claims of preventing and/or eliminating acne/blemishes/zits (whatever you want to call them). The truth is, these cleansers tend to do far more harm than good, especially if you have sensitive skin. In the best case scenario, they won't prevent you from getting acne any better than a bar of soap from the dollar store would. I've had sensitive skin my entire life, and mild acne from time to time. It wasn't until I had a random breakout on my forehead that I discovered the truth about skin care. I went through just about every over-the-counter cleanser (including the biggest scam of them all, "Proactiv"). None of them worked, and most of them made things worse. It wasn't until I finally had my first visit with an excellent dermatologist that I learned what a good facial cleanser is: it cleans your face without irritating it, contains very few ingredients, and the ingredients it does contain are all proven to be healthy for even the most sensitive skin. To be honest, I can't remember the short list of cleansers she gave me (2 or 3, at most), but this one was by far at the top of her list. (Side note: CeraVe also makes some of the best facial moisturizers). Final piece of advice: if you wash your face with this cleanser, and are still getting acne, or having other skin issues, go see a dermatologist. Even if you don't have health insurance, it will cost you much less than trying all of the over the counter products claiming to solve whatever skin issue you may have.

Note: the "Hydrating" version of this same cleanser is just as good, but is designed for people with consistently dry skin.