Published on April 21, 2009 by M. Moore

3.0 out of 5 stars The lotion moisturizes better than the cream
Published on May 24, 2011 by Valerie Chen & Hussein Chebli

5.0 out of 5 stars For eczema - more effective than steroids, immune suppressants, or light treatments, April 21, 2009
This review is from: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream 16 oz (453 g)
At age 60 I have had severe atopic dermititis since I was about ten years old and have had the help of many caring health care providers over the years. I have tried numerous treatments to get relief - steroids (oral and creams), anahistamines, moisturizers, Protopic and Elocon, elimination diets, supplements, moisturizing baths, detoxification, acupuncture, yoga, behavior modification, stress reduction meditation and light treatments at Mass General Hospital and Beth Israel Hospital in Boston. I have benefited, and still benefit from several of these treatments, but my skin is very scarred , and I had not found a moisturizer which really restored my skin to a more balanced state until I began using CeraVe about a year ago.

Cerave is probably the single most effective treatment I have found for reducing inflammation and strengthening the skin barrier. (And compared to other treatments I have had, what a bargain! ) I am not aware of any side effects. Skin improvement began the first week I used it. My skin is softer and more supple, ichthyosis and scaling are way down, redness has abated considerably (though not entirely) , and the horrible itching is a minor distraction now. I have had fewer outbreaks of staph infections, and - most remarkable - I look healthier and am comfortable most of the time. In addition I am more focused mentally, more rested, and less prone to depression .

These results are amazing given my history. I do need to use CeraVe at least twice daily to maintain its benefits, which seem to include immune system strengthening. And there is one frustrating area not responding very well to this treatment - my face ( not the area I would choose if I had to have one problem area). Overall though, with the itching way down, I am more relaxed and happier than I have been in years. I hope others with my condition will find this cream as as helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for kids!, June 25, 2007
This review is from: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream 16 oz (453 g)
I have a 21 month old and a 6 month old who suffer from eczema. Of course we have been through various mosturizers looking for "the one". I have found this product to be lighter and easliy absorbed into the skin better than most cream moisturizers. It also doesn't leave a residue like most. I had been using Cetaphil cream up until I tried this, which was first recommended by a dermatoligist. I prefer this cream above any other I have tried thus far. It adds moisture to their skin and I saw an improvement in two days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Miracles for Chronic Eczema & Dandruff Sufferer, April 17, 2012
This review is from: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream 16 oz (453 g)
There are already many good reviews, but few have mentioned using Cerave as treatment for chronic dandruff/scalp eczema. I also thought it would be helpful to provide a detailed account of how I use it.

Here's my story: I'm a 27 year old male who's had eczema since I can remember. There have been periods where it's been relatively mild and periods where it's been extreme - extreme enough to not want to go out in public. As I've gotten older it's tended on the extreme, especially during the dry, winter months. Specifically, I get bad facial eczema (very bad on the eyelids), as well as eczema behind the knees and elbows, neck, scalp, chest, back, etc. I've tried a lot of moisturizers, steroids (both oral and topical), elidel and protopic, dandruff shampoos, and a variety of other things. All of the moisturizers irritated my skin. Steroids worked but they're not a long-term solution (because of the side-effects; plus, after regular use I could tell I was building a tolerance). The only useful dandruff shampoo was Nizoral - but that was more of a temporary fix, and it left my hair super dry and brittle.

After all of the experimentation I found a routine that keeps my skin about 95% clear, and most of it is due to Cerave. The only exception is my eyelids - I apply protopic daily, and then Cerave over top of it. This keeps them about 99% clear. I've tried going without the protopic but my eyelids get pretty bad without it still; fortunately, protopic does not weaken with use, nor have the known long-term side effects - like skin-thinning - that steroids have.

A little bit on the specifics. When I began using it, it actually caused a slight burning sensation, and my skin would turn pretty red. This lasted for about 1-2 weeks but gradually went completely away. My own guess is that my skin was re-establishing a proper barrier. I mention this because, if you've had problems initially, I would give it at least 3 weeks before dropping it - it may just be your skin getting acclimated to it. As for application, I put it on my face, neck, backs of knees and elbows, and anywhere else that's dried out or suffering from eczema - I try to do it about twice a day (and I apply liberally). I should also mention that there was a brief period where I would get an infrequent but deep pimple on my face - the kind I almost never got before. But after a while this symptom also went away.

Lastly, as mentioned above, I've also had scalp eczema (or dandruff). Before Cerave, Nizoral had been the only partial fix - but not a very good one. Anyways, as far as application, my hair is not styled long, but it's also not a buzz cut, so it's not as convenient or easy as putting it on your skin. My hair gets sort of drenched in Cerave. As a result, I do it once a day, at night a bit before I go to bed. With hair being in the way, you have to make sure to get it all the way down in to your scalp (apply liberally), otherwise it won't work properly. In the morning I wash it out with Kirk's Coco Castile Bar Soap (the soap I use for everything). After putting it on for just a few days, the itchiness and dryness on my scalp has resolved 99%. My dandruff is now gone and I no longer have to use Nizoral.

Overall, I'm very impressed with Cerave. It's the only thing that provides relief without irritating my skin. It's been a genuine life-changer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Heels!, July 9, 2010
This review is from: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream 16 oz (453 g)
I have had very dry skin and keratosis pilaris scince I was a child, and have tried everything from different creams from the dermatologist,smearing myself in vaseline, to rubbing the backs of my arms with apple cider vinegar (got rid of the bumps, but SMELLY!) I had settled on a cetaphil-day, lac-hydrin-night combo, it kept my skin smooth but left me as red as a tomato, and the lac hydrin left me feeling sticky, like it never fully dried. I also had to remoisturize several times a day. If I didn't use lotion after washing my hands (every single time)my hands would crack and my cuticles would split almost instantly. My heels were rough and cracked, and no matter what I used, (pedi egg, heel miracle, burts bees)they would never heal.

After getting a terrible sunburn from using lachydrin during the day, I decided to look for a new lotion, and the reviews on this seemed like it was worth a try. It is the best! After using it twice a day for only 2 days, my heels feel like they are made of skin again, not rocks covered in sandpaper! My hands feel moisturized throughout the day, even if I don't use lotion immediately after washing them. I find that it is too heavy-feeling for my face, but if you use a small amount, it can be used on arms and legs, as it spreads quite easily despite its thick consistency. It is by far the best moisturizer I have ever used. Worth double the price, however they sell it two dollars cheaper at wallmart and wallgreens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it from Costco instead., April 15, 2011
Gadget Freak (Chicago, IL, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream 16 oz (453 g)
For Nineteen smackers and change, this is way overpriced for what I truly believe to be a great product. Get it from Costco instead, where the pharmacy will order it for you for less than thirteen. You will pay for your membership after 7 refills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Use this instead of steriod creams if possible on children. Steroids in kids can be dangerous., October 21, 2011
Kimberly (Lake Alfred, Fl United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream 16 oz (453 g)
My daughter has had issues with her skin since birth: cradle cap, red spots, skin felt like sand paper. In the last month, she developed red spots in the crooks of her arms and legs. We tried switching what we bathed her with twice or maybe three times and then switched from baby lotion and oil to Cetaphil, which helped some. But then one day last week I noticed the redness in the crooks of her legs had increased tenfold and was now oozing!!

Needless to say, as a first-time mother I was horrified and very worried. I made an emergency pediatrician appointment for her for the next day, but in the meantime did my own Internet research only to discover that my daughter has weeping/oozing eczema. I had used Cerave years ago when I moved to Michigan from Florida. Michigan winters were surely a shock to my skin. I remembered how well it worked and went straight to Walmart to look for it and slathered it on my daughter overnight.

By her 3:00 appointment the next day, the oozing had completely stopped and there was only the slightest redness. The doctor agreed with my diagnosis and prescribed two steriod creams (which really should be avoided in babies/children because steriods cause skin thinning and can cause stunted growth in high amounts). So I only use the steriod cream on occasion instead of twice daily as prescribed and instead use Cerave.

I'm also bathing her with Dove bar soap and looking for Alpha Keri oil to seal in the moisture after baths hoping that this combination with keep the need for the steroid cream to a minimum. So far, so good. Her skin now feels like a baby's should after only one week with no redness or slight redness when before it was as red as a tomato and oozing! I really need to stock up on this stuff. Like someone else said, it's cheaper at Walmart. As much as I love Amazon, I'll be getting it from there since here it's around $16.

3.0 out of 5 stars The lotion moisturizes better than the cream, May 24, 2011
This review is from: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream 16 oz (453 g)
I've used the CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion 12 fl oz (355 ml) (in the pump bottle) for awhile now and loved it, so I thought that the cream in the tub would be even better for my winter-dry skin. Surprisingly, even though the cream is thicker and rather unpleasantly greasy, the lotion still feels like it moisturizes/penetrates better, and is non-greasy and lightweight! The cream also made me feel a little itchy, like I might be having an allergic reaction to it, but I've had no problems at all with using the lotion all over!

5.0 out of 5 stars INCREDIBLE PRODUCT!!! GREAT PRICE!!!, August 2, 2009
N. Schneider (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream 16 oz (453 g)
I normally do not write reviews but this product helped me so much that I really want to help others. I spent $30. for a copay to see a Dermatologist about this eczema, flaky dried skin and redness on my forehead and $65 on some ridiculous cream (doctor prescribed) that did not work. What a waste, told my sister she said her whole family uses this cream and it worked for them on eczema, cracked skin, dry areas, etc. So I tried it not expecting that much. WOW!!! First I spent a ton of money on aloe creams,Cetaphil soap, Cetaphil moisturizer and Cetaphil cream plus others. I spent close to $200, total waste of time and money on all the soaps and creams. The Cetaphil cream was kind of greasy but not as bad as others. But this product is a miracle!!! No Joke! Only $15 at walgreens or cvs and cheaper if your not in a hurry from Amazon. Worth every penny! The jar is a one pound jar you can choke a horse with all this cream, just put it on very lightly and it will not be greasy, again use lightly can always add more. Cleared up my forehead in days. This is incredible, cheap and works. You can't ask for more. I try to use it twice a day morning and night. No more staring from people. Thanks for a great product!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cream, March 19, 2009
Vicki Ficklen "Vicki" (McDonough, GA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream 16 oz (453 g)
I have very sensitive skin, and very oily skin, with breakouts. I'm 54 and also using Retin-A every night. This cream is wonderful. Like other reviewers, I have tried many different products, most of them very expensive. CeraVe sinks into the skin and doesn't cause any breakouts. It also doesn't make my skin any oilier. I'm very impressed with the texture and effects of this cream. Please give it a try. It's nice to find something that works that doesn't cost a fortune. I also use the cleanser that works very well also. It cleans without stripping your face and doesn't cost an arm and leg. It works well for oily and sensitive skin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best drugstore moisturizer available, March 29, 2009
This review is from: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream 16 oz (453 g)
This is one of the best moisturizers available. Most so-called moisturizers actually work by trapping moisture against the skin (which is why we recommend patients apply them within 3 minutes of a bath/shower). Cerave actually contains a bio-chemical that is naturally produced by the skin (ceramides). That means you're immersing the skin in something it knows it likes, which is in contrast to occlusive "moisturizers" that just trap in moisture. I use this cream on my face and hands, but of course you can put it anywhere you have dry skin. Another class of moisturizers I recommend are those based on lactic acid, such as Carmol, Am-Lactin and Lac-Hydrin. If price is really an issue, consider an older class of moisturizers that includes Cetaphil or its generic equivalent.

CeraVe Moisturizing Cream 16 oz (453 g)
$17.24 $14.51