5.0 out of 5 stars This Cookware is a Healthy Investment!
While searching for a healthier alternative to metal cookware, and especially (toxic) teflon, I found Xtrema Ceramic Cookware. I didn't purchase it through an Amazon seller, so I can't rate the seller. I bought mine at ceramcor(dot)com with free shipping. But since I saw this cookware here at Amazon, I thought I would give it a review.

So far I purchased the...
Published on September 30, 2010 by Cricket

1.0 out of 5 stars Sticks after five uses
Published on October 15, 2010 by Anna

1.0 out of 5 stars Sticks after five uses, October 15, 2010
Anna (Chicago IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10" Skillet - Ceramcor Xtrema
I have to be honest, this is my first product review on Amazon in years. Usually, if the product is good, I stay mum, but with this skillet I just have to protest. I have been on the prowl for non-teflon - PFOA - PF cookware for some time now, constantly researching and trying new products. I love to cook and have cooked on regular non-stick pans, zepter, stainless steel, etc, without ever ruining any of them. Basically, I would consider my self an exprienced residential user - but enough about me.

After anxiously waiting for weeks to get the Xtrema skillet (back-order), I carefully followed instructions for wash and use. In many ways it's similar to cast iron (wait for it to get hot, then turn the fire down and off you go). I have to admit, the first few times that I cooked on it, I was in awe. I thought that I finally found the 'magic bullet' against standard non-stick carcinogenous cookware. Boy was I wrong. After a few uses, the skillet began to have a film, a black lining of sorts, a 'dried on'-looking somthing, in patches, primarily around the middle of the skillet.

At first, I was able to scrub/soak it off. After a couple more uses I was forced to use a metalic scrubber, which seemed to work. After a couple more uses, the black spots grew in diameter, but did not come off the pan. Needless the say, all non-stick qualities of this skillet were gone in under ten uses.

Also, please don't believe a word about the pan being inderstructible. May be it can survive a fall from a three-story building, but it can't survive a metal spatula or the scrubber.

To continue with this saga, I contacted Chef's Source to return the item, and they have directed me to the manufacturer. I will have to continue this review once the mafucaturer actions pan out. Contacting the manufacturer in order to salvage the $99+shipping I paid to get this item. Of course, no doubt, I will have to spend $20 to send the skillet to them, as it's exceptionally heavy.

Wish me luck.

Overall, this is definately a product I would not recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Cookware is a Healthy Investment!, September 30, 2010
Cricket (Planet Earth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10" Skillet - Ceramcor Xtrema

So far I purchased the 5.5 quart covered saucepan, the 12 in. covered skillet and the 10 in. skillet. The 10 in. skillet doesn't come with a cover, but the 5.5 qt saucepan cover fits it perfectly. This cookware only took me a couple of meals to get the hang of. My husband and I absolutely love it! When stovetop cooking, we learned fast that it heats up real quick and only needs the medium heat setting or lower... especially if you cook without the cover. When your food is done cooking you want to remove the cookware from the burner because your food will continue to cook as the heat is retained for a long time, which is perfect for setting it on the dinner table if you want to keep your food hot. My first experience was not good. Being used to cooking with high heat (for only a few minutes) before lowering the temp, I over-cooked my meal and it stuck pretty badly to the pan. I soaked it overnight with warm water and dish liquid and it cleaned up just like a teflon pan, no kidding! Needless to say, they clean up like a breeze when you're "not" burning anything, lol! It has a non-scratch, non-toxic ceramic glaze surface. You can use brillo pads on these and they won't scratch, but so far I've only needed a regular kitchen scrub sponge. This cookware can be used in the oven, stovetop, broiler, freezer, grill, microwave and dishwasher... very versatile! What I love best about this cookware is using the cover when cooking on the stovetop. Because the cover is the same material as the pan, your food cooks like a covered casserole in the oven.

This is a long review (sorry!), but just a quick mention... tonight (on the stovetop) we cooked chicken breasts with peppers, onions and garlic with the cover on- at the last few minutes of cooking time I tossed in 3 large, sliced, sweet potatoes (with cover back on) and they cooked super fast, were tender and absorbed all the flavors... no need to cook your potatoes separately! Next time, along with the potatoes, I'll toss in some greens, too, saving me the hassle of cooking with so many pots and pans.

This cookware is expensive, but other than being durable and long-lasting, if you read all the health benefits at the website I mentioned above, you'll agree that it's a healthy investment. I'll never go back to aluminum (which is known to cause alzheimer disease) or toxic teflon... which, btw, if you have pet birds please do not cook with teflon. The fumes are so toxic and are known (and statistics are well documented) to kill birds within a matter of minutes. Their little livers shut down after working overtime trying to detoxify the fumes, this causes fluid to fill their lungs... in turn suffocating them to death :o( Sorry, I didn't mean to end this review on such a sad note, but I think it's very important for everyone to know this.

Update as of 8/16/12:

Unfortunately, a few months ago my large 12 inch skillet broke (at the handle) as I was washing it. I don't believe this would've happened had my sink been stainless steel. Just a warning for those with hard sinks to be especially careful of the handle, that it doesn't lose your grip as you're washing it, or that you let it rest on the side of the sink. I've added a picture of my broken skillet to show the break in the handle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't cook well and sticks, May 15, 2011
This review is from: 10" Skillet - Ceramcor Xtrema
I didn't buy this off Amazon but want to review it. I sent the pan back after only a few uses. It was a 12" pan and was big and very heavy. Even after letting it heat up on the burner for a long time, it still heated unevenly. It had cold spots and things stuck. I used oil but they still stuck. I would not recommend this pan.

2.0 out of 5 stars Xtrema Skillet, June 17, 2011
Wena W. Dows (Atascadero, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10" Skillet - Ceramcor Xtrema
I like the fact that my new Xtrema skillet is a safe, healthy choice. I dislike the fact that it heats and cooks so unevenly. A pancake, for example, will have nearly burned and somewhat raw parts, even after pre-heating the skillet. Disappointing!

3.0 out of 5 stars Pro's and Con's, October 24, 2011
This review is from: 10" Skillet - Ceramcor Xtrema
I have been cooking with this for about a year now, and I both like and am frustrated by it.
Pro's:
*healthier
*not exactly non-stick, you have to spray oil on a heated pan, but you can also scrub it with Brillo and it retains its nonstick properties
*many things actually do taste better in it

Con's:
*I have had two of these (exchanged one because it was so uneven), and they do not heat evenly, even after being preheated a long time. Anything you cook in it will need to be either stirred or moved. Hot and cold spots are identifiable, just pour water into the pan and watch the differences in where it boils, or try making an omelette.
*It's probably as heavy as cast iron.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Purchase in Recent Years, June 17, 2011
This review is from: 10" Skillet - Ceramcor Xtrema
My husband saw this advertised in Reader's Digest and convinced me to give it a try. It sounded pretty good, but I did note a review saying the handle on the skillet broke. Therefore, we were very careful not to lift the skillet without holding the handle and tab on the opposite side. I didn't like having to heat the skillet slowly, and I only used it a couple of times. My husband decided to use it and, despite not having more than 16 oz. in the skillet, when he lifted it, the handle broke off. Over the short time I used the skillet, it cost us at least $25 per use. Definitely a terrible purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Healthy Alternative, November 23, 2011
Jeff (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10" Skillet - Ceramcor Xtrema
Pros: Relatively non-stick. Durable. Not too difficult to clean (especially if you clean not too long after cooking).

Cons: Not as non-stick as Teflon, but Teflon is extremely dangerous to cook with (for your health I mean). Pots get hot you always have to use pot holders.

I purchased a 21 piece set last year and I absolutely love this cookware. I usually use a little bit of Palm Kernel oil or coconut oil and I don't get a lot of sticking. You can use pretty much anything to clean the cookware - I have used brillo a couple times (usually if I neglect to clean up right away and things have hardened on the pot) and anything that was stuck comes right off and it does not negatively effect the cookware. I am buying a set for my parents this Christmas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Non-metal cookware goal achieved!, January 23, 2014
maureen (chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10" Skillet - Ceramcor Xtrema
I suspect most people who consider buying these Ceramcor products, like me, do so motivated by health concerns and a desire to switch off of metal cookware to non-metal. This 10" skillet achieves that goal and because of this I am very happy. I enjoy cooking and had expensive professional pots/pans that I had to give up to make this switch. Cooking with these products is a bit different, but easily adaptable. Basically, you can't crank the heat up high and get the skillet hot before adding food because the skillet could crack. So, instead, I have to turn the heat up to low then after a few minutes medium then a few more minutes upto high. This takes more time than metal and you have to get used to this. I do prefer to add chicken, salmon or an egg to a hot pan, however, and due to concern that the pan could crack I am now putting these items into the pan when it is warm, rather than hot. Admittedly, this doesn't create the browning that is preferred, which is quite a huge concession. Also, this skillet is not non-stick. I think because it is black colored you mistakenly get the impression that it would be non-stick. It isn't. Everything sticks to it unless you spray the pan first. I tried pouring olive oil in the pan first, but this doesn't work as well as spraying olive oil in the pan. So, I have made that switch to my method also. With the olive oil spray the food doesn't stick very much. Another change is that you cannot take the hot, empty pan and rinse it right away because if the water you use is too cold the pan can experience temperature shock and crack. So, after cooking I am now letting the pan cool on my stovetop. When it is cooler I then fill it with water to soak the pan. After some time I get to work cleaning it up. It does clean fairly easily and it can go into the dishwasher. They say you can clean it with a brillo, but I haven't needed that yet. This pan goes easily from stove to oven, which I really like. The lid fits nicely. The pan is fairly deep, about 3 inches, which also helps me load it up if I need to. One negative that I don't understand is that they purposely make the center of the pan slightly higher than the perimeter. This causes all eggs to slide to the perimeter where the pan isn't quite as hot. If you give the pan long enough to heat up (which takes quite some time) I have found there is even heating across the bottom of the pan. But in the first ten minutes the pan will have hot/cold areas. Bottom line: this skillet is attractive, requires some modification to your methods, it is deep, the lid fits well, it cleans fairly easily and it is no metal. I am very happy because my main goal, healthy cooking without metal, has been achieved. If this is your main goal you likely will be satisfied. If you don't care about metal in your food then you probably will find these pots/pans too different from what you are accustomed to and you may be dissatisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good luck with it so far..., August 7, 2013
This review is from: 10" Skillet - Ceramcor Xtrema
I bought several pieces over the last few years, one from Mercola.com and one from Ceramcor. We have had really good service so far and I am pleased with the cooking results; the food simply is better tasting when cooked in this cookware; maybe because the far infrared heating effect of the pans. It is heavier than aluminum, but, not as heavy as cast iron. The surface sticks to food, so it needs to have oil on the surface when open frying, otherwise with liquids, it works great. Slow cooking on a ceramic cooktop, using a thermometer works really well. I found that many crock pots and slow cookers have inserts from China that contain lead, so ceramcor's products work really well as slow cookers on a reliable and even heating cooktops or stoves.

Cleaning this cookware is very simple, usually hot soapy water does it, but if the food is stuck or burnt on the surface, I use a cleaner used for cleaning ceramic cooking surfaces, like Cerama Bryte. Even burnt food comes off easily.

1.0 out of 5 stars Heats terribly, March 7, 2013
This review is from: 10" Skillet - Ceramcor Xtrema
I love the concept of getting teflon out of our food and this seemed like the magical cure. The problems is that it heats so horribly. I had half dough/half burnt pancakes, eggs were a joke, and even browning elk was a total nightmare. I don't know what the answer is (cast iron I guess if you are into the "seasoning" thing) but it is NOT this. I am just disappointed because we called the company before ordering and they assured us that it cooked wonderfully, even without an aluminum core to distribute the heat. It was SO the opposite that it feels like they full-on lied to us. I had to pay $20 to return it. I should have read the reviews a bit better.

10" Skillet - Ceramcor Xtrema