5.0 out of 5 stars Raise your hand if you're Certain!
As the resident pit-stain guy in the office, I was desperate to find a solution to my excessive underarm perspiration. Whether it was being asked to get something from the top shelf -- or the never-ending requests to do the "field goal" signal -- my coworkers shared many a laugh at chatchi's expense.
While it is not uncommon to have perspiration rings...
Published on September 15, 2003 by chatchi

1.0 out of 5 stars Be Realistic
The reason I gave Certain Dri one star is to get your (the skeptic's) attention. I wouldn't actually give Certain Dri 1 star; honestly, I would give it 5. For those of you who are looking for a reason not to use or buy Certain Dri, I will give you all the reasons I know here:
Published on October 19, 2008 by KJB

5.0 out of 5 stars Raise your hand if you're Certain!, September 15, 2003
This review is from: Certain Dri Anti-Perspirant Roll-On 1.2 Oz (Health and Beauty)
While it is not uncommon to have perspiration rings under the arms of your shirt, it IS uncommon to have those rings bleed down to your belt. Doctor's call it Axillary Hyperhidrosis -- chatchi calls it "Swamp Pits". My perspiration was becoming so unmanageable, I would wear four (4) undershirts to prevent the stains from bleeding through to my dress shirts. The idea worked, but the extra layers only caused chatchi to sweat even more.
The average adult perspires a little more than one quart of fluid per day. chatchi perspired more than SEVEN quarts of fluid per day. After failing numerous job interviews, and scaring away an immeasurable amount of potential romantic companions because of my mind-boggling sweat production, it was time for me to get help.
My search ended with Certain Dri. This remarkable, non-prescription product is applied to the underarm area before you go to bed. While the concept might seem unusual, you wouldn't be reading this review unless you were used to going to unusual lengths to prevent underarm perspiration.
Certain Dri is applied in place of your regular anti-perspirant/deodorant, but I'd advise still using a scented deodorant every day, since Certain Dri does a less than adequate job of masking the stench. The first time you use the product, don't be surprised if you experience a slight irritation to the underarms (comparable to bathing in gasoline, then setting yourself on fire) -- that's the 12% aluminum chloride going to work. Don't worry, the irritation will go away after a couple of days. The roll-on applicator is less than desirable -- ripping out armpit hairs during application -- but I suppose it's better than those nasty aerosol brands.
Just how good is Certain Dri? Well, the directions say that, when used "sparingly", Certain Dri can prevent perspiration for up to 84 hours after application. I've found that I can literally go weeks without applying Certain Dri, and my pits remain dry as a desert. My confidence has been restored in interviews, and women are no longer turned off by extreme underarm moisture.
Thanks to Certain Dri, chatchi had the last laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars My experience with Certain Dri, February 9, 2007
Well, this product has been reviewed to death, so I'll just add to what everyone else has said. First of all, the results aren't instant for everyone. It took about a week and a half of use every night for me to see the amazing results that everyone talks about. Now, after about three weeks of use, I am entirely sweat-free. I am planning on gradually reducing my use to see how infrequently I can get away with using it before the sweating becomes a problem again.

Second, not everyone feels intense burning or itching when they use it. I didn't feel anything when I applied it, and I actually wondered if I had done it wrong. So the second night I put on about 5-6 strokes instead of 1-2, and I felt a little tingling, but nothing more.

Sweating was a moderate problem for me, enough to be annoying and slightly embarrassing. It definitely affected the type of clothing that I bought. Now I have to train myself to look at whatever clothes I want, instead of thinking, "Too bad I can't wear that, I'd have 3-inch pit stains by 4th period." I think for people like me, this is a great solution. If excessive sweating has affected your life in even a small way, it's worth giving this stuff a shot. For me and many others, it really is a miracle product!

Edit March 2008: Still on my first bottle! I only use it about once every other week now, and I still don't sweat AT ALL, even during my track workouts. I did experience some pretty intense burning/itching one night when I applied it to freshly-shaven skin. DON'T DO THAT.

Edit December 2010: I haven't used Certain Dri in about two years, and I still do not sweat. I think my sweat glands have been permanently altered. I don't know how this stuff works, but it was without a doubt the best $6 I've ever spent in my life.

Edit December 2012: I still haven't used the stuff since 2008, but I have been noticing that I've been sweating a bit more in recent months. It's NOTHING compared to how I used to sweat, but I'm thinking of getting another bottle and using it occasionally. It still frightens me a little that I was able to kill my armpit sweat glands for years using this stuff, but I'm not complaining!

1.0 out of 5 stars Be Realistic, October 19, 2008
KJB (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews
1) It stings if you use it when your pits are wet--so let them dry or dry them with a fan/blow dryer before applying the product (this is especially helpful if you would rather apply in the morning as opposed to at night).
2) It stings if you use too much. "Too much" depends on your skin. I would not use more than a couple strokes. Some people don't get any irritation, and some people are very sensitive to it. I have very sensitive skin, and I get irritated and very dry under my arms when I apply 3 strokes or more.
3) It stings if you don't let it dry completely and just keep your arms down. So make sure it dries completely (if you rub it in and fan your pits, it dries in about two minutes).
4) It does not cover odor; it only stops wetness (and it does this extremely well). You can use a deoderant for any odor, but I have found since I stopped sweating under my arms, I can hardly detect any odor.
5) If you're a guy, the roll-on application may pull on your pit hairs.

Those are the only drawbacks I can think of. Here are the pros:

1)The stinging is temporary, if you experience any.
2)The stinging is not extreme--it's bearable.
3)It does work, there's no question about it: it is a very strange feeling to have arm pits that don't sweat while working out and the rest of your body sweating like usual. It is also very exciting to give a presentation and be able to choose any clothing you want and not have to worry about people seeing wet armpits.
4)The cost: I would pay fifty dollars for this product considering how long it lasts and that it works so well. It only costs about 4-6 dollars depending on where you buy it, and it lasts several months.
5)No more yellow pit stains. I have bought new white blouses just because I know I will not be wearing my stained ones anymore, and I know I don't have to worry about staining these ones (but they are not safe from coffee stains unfortunately-- I spill coffee on myself almost every time I drink it)!
6)For people who have really sweaty feet, this product has been proven to work for excessive foot sweat. Athletes: take heart!

I could think of a few more pros, but at this point, I have spent 20 minutes of my own time (I am a pharmacy student and have two exams tomorrow that I need to finish studying for) writing this review. I never write product reviews, but I am writing one for Certain Dri because it is a truly effective, valuable find.

If you are hesitant about buying this product, I wouldn't buy it if you know you have an allergy to aluminum chloride. Otherwise, it is definitely worth the 4-6 dollars to just try it. It's even worth the temporary stinging, if you experience any. If it doesn't work for you (I doubt this would be the problem) or if you are too sensitive to it (this would probably be more likely--but make sure you try using it less often like every few days, and don't apply as much as you did previously, before you give up on it), you can always return it to the store.

I am one of those people who believes more means more effective, but trust me, they are serious when they say you only need a couple strokes. It seems like your arm pit is a big area and needs several strokes, but use only one or two--and then rub it around with your palm to cover the whole area. This will also help it dry faster and reduce the possibility of stinging.

I have tried everything from Secret Clinical Strength to Mitchum to you-name-it. This is the last product I will use because I will never change to anything else. I sweat when it's cold out, when it's hot out, when I'm working out, when I'm just sitting in class, or giving a presentation, and we all know how embarassing the wet dark puddles under our arms are. I wish I would have found this product sooner. I wish there was a product as effective for coffee stains.

5.0 out of 5 stars CERTAINLY CERTAIN!!!!, May 8, 2004
to start off, this is the BEST PRODUCT ever!!! i have never used a better anti-persperant than this roll on liquid!! this is the BEST thing i have ever used in my life. i have suffered from a severe sweating disease and i just got it terribly this year, i am 14 years old and i have sweat marks about three inches under my arm: it drips BADLY! it is so embarassing because i cant even wear thin shirts, im always finding myself having to wear sweatshirts and jackets, and it stinks!! well, i just found out about this product so i bought it at CVS for a little over 5.00 and that was just yesterday. so, i got home and put this product on an hour after i showered (before bed) the next day i was COMPLETELY dry and i didn't sweat a single bit! i was wearing a very light material shirt too and no sweat marks were revealed!! this was GREAT Because not even the leading "platinum" anti-persperants work for me...and this product couldn't be better!! i am going to be using this forever now (or at least until my sweating problem reduces!) i am so excited now because i can buy clothes that are thin and ANY color! i can raise my hand in school! i would recommend this product to ANYONE who suffers from sweating because i 100% guarantee you that this will completely take away your underarm wetness/sweating problem! you can still wear a deodorant with this, because it will cover up the smell (although certain dri doesnt have a scent) you can even take showers after you apply it at bedtime...still works awesome!! i would definitely give this product OVER five stars, because it is the best product i have found to work!! certain dri has completely solved my problem, and i am so happy for it!! --lastly you only have to apply it every other day because it can keep you dry for up to THREE and a HALF days!! now, what better could you ask for?!?

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 + years user, October 12, 2004
I've used this product for over 10 years and have only bought 2 bottles. I only need to re-apply 3-4 times a year. Of course, I use another type of deodorant every day. Yes it itches, but No Ugly Wet Armpit Stains!!! No idea about long term effects, but it's a trade-off I'll accept...

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, April 14, 2005
Mrs.CLC (baltimore, md) - See all my reviews
This is only my first week of using the product, but so far I am really, really, really satisifed! I have really sensitive skin normally, so I was really nervous abut trying it. Abput 2 weeks after I heard about the product, my husband commented about me needing a better deoderant after doing a load of laundry - off to the drugstore we went! I figured I could handle a terrible buring sensation if it meant salvaging my wardrobe.

I have to say that I don't think my problem is as bad as some others have described - but still pretty bad. Any time I wore a tight shirt I would soak through the armpit area, and the sweat seemed to stay primarily in the armpits with loose shirts, although it would sometimes feel it drip down my side...yuck. I managed to hide it pretty well with baggy clothes, keeping my arms close to my side, but it was still super nasty.

After the first night of applying Certain Dri, I have completely dry underarms and it is a wonderful feeling. I usedit about 30 minutes after mybed time shower, and I shaved my underarms the next morning. Any minor adjustments to my schedule are well worth it. I tried skipping a ngiht, and it seemed to last me until about 36 hours after the first application, but even then it was a very slight, damp feeling, not my usual sweatiness.

I actually heard about the product on a message board, and one person commented that she has cysts inher underarms as a result of the product...so I am going to consult with my doctor just to see if I should watch for anything strange.

As far as the burning sensation - for me it's really not bad. It stings for about 30 seconds after I apply it and I found that it can irritate the outer edges of my underarm if I'm not careful to apply it only to the places where hair normally grows. I'm sure it is different for everyone, but to me it was worth the $5 to give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars No BS, it works, March 21, 2005
I had underarm sweat like you could never believe (Well, since you're on the site for Certain Dri you probably can). I had tried multiple shirts, applying cheap antiperspirant every hour. It didn't work. I was 16 and thought extra sweating was natural. Eventually, I figured out something was wrong with me, that not everyone sweats like that. Everyday, even when i exerted virtually no physical activity in a day it the sweat would drench the my sleeves in less than an hour. I was on the brink of asking my doctor to schedule me for surgery to have my sweat glands removed (A minor procedure but surgery is surgery). Then my mom bought this for me. I put this stuff on that night. I went to school and waited to see the sweat. I was very skeptical. I didn't think a watery roll on could do the job. My underarms did feel moist but not soaked. I kept looking and looking all day. There was no pit stain. For days the same thing. Even after moderate physical activity it worked. I have yet to have a problem with it.

It is made with Aluminum Chloride rather than the typical Aluminum Zirconium Tetrochlorohyrex. The label says it actually shrinks your pores and I believe it. Even through heavy weight lifting, it doesn't give up. My underarms actually sweat less. It's incredible.

The only bad thing is that it can cause very minor underarm irritation. It's slight, merely an occasional itch. Keyword is occasional, It doesn't occur often and it goes away quickly. I expected this as one would expect side effects from any medication. It was not nearly bad enough to stop me from using the product.

Overall, its a five star product which has given me new confidence, and it will for you too.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Believe It!, November 27, 2005
M. Burd (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
I am a skeptic in general, but as a woman who suddenly had developed an underarm sweat DELUGE in the last few years I was desperate. (Seriously, I was considering Botox injections because the wetness was so ridiculous and embarrassing. I am a person that tries not to take an asprin unless it's absolutely necessary, if that gives you any perspective on how bad I had it.)

This product reduced the river to a tiny creek on the FIRST USE, and now that I've been using it every other day for 6 days I hardly have any wetness at all. Honestly. I was at the point were I sweated under my arms even when I was freezing cold. It would only take about 5 to 10 minutes after putting on a shirt for the wetness to bleed through it. Now, I sweat appropriately when I am exercising and not at any other time.

I feel so relieved, and now I can start wearing something other than black again!!!!! I think people must have thought I was in mourning of some kind for the last few years. :-) It does tingle and itch a little when first applied, but I didn't think it was much at all.

I am unbelievably relieved and happy, so give it a shot and maybe it'll do the same thing for you...

5.0 out of 5 stars I CAN WEAR CUTE CLOTHES AGAIN!!, December 29, 2004
When I turned 17 I suddenly had a seriuos underarm persperation problem. I tried every possible over the counter deodorant I could and NOTHING even touched it! I could not wear any shirt that was tight around the armpit and would even sweat through tshirts which I began to wear ALL THE TIME! A year later I saw a commercial for this product and after using Certain Dri I couldn't believe how well it worked! I can wear cute clothes again and not have pit stains! That was almost 4 years ago and I still use it at least once a week. It still works!! It doesn't even have an odor! The only drawback is that it can really irritate your underarm. Do NOT use immediately after shaving unless you can deal with red bumps and stinging!! I do at times but only when absolutely necessary! Overall I think that it is a miracle product and I wish more products delivered the way this one does!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Certain Dri, for your feet??????, January 25, 2006
I am not the type to sweat excessively under my arms so I had no use for this product. I'd seen the commercials but never gave them much thought. Anyway, I do suffer from a VERY embarrasing problem and that is that my feet sweat way too much! It was a constant embarrasment to wear cute strappy shoes, sandals, etc. because my feet were constantly sweating. You can imagine that they smelled, ruined my shoes, etc. Whenever I would visit a friend or family member (and I was wearing something that exposed my feet) I would go into their bathroom and wash my feet in their sink just to feel comfortable. Isn't that awful? Well, I'd finally had it so I went to my podiatrist and let her know about my problem. She gave me a sample of certain dri and told me to use it on my feet before I went to bed and see if it helped. If it didn't, she would give me a prescription for something that I would only need to wear once a week. Anyway, I tried it and it worked!! Within two days, my problem was solved. As a bonus, my hands don't sweat as much either (isn't that weird? I'm sure my hands would sweat due to the anxiety of my sweaty feet). Now I use it every couple - three days, before I go to bed, and I concentrate on the area under my toes, which is where I did most of my sweating. I apply it sparingly and it works so well. I'm very happy with this product. Please consult with your own podiatrist before you use the product as I've been instructed to do so. Hope this review helps someone out there.

Certain Dri Anti-Perspirant Roll-On 1.2 Oz
$7.60 $7.30
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.
Rate and Discover Movies