Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on March 27, 2013
for this price you won't find better product than this. Worth every penny. So useful yet affordable. Go get it.
on September 25, 2009
I failed Java certification 3 times using 3 other books. I simply didn't want to let go. I got this book and passed the exam, and I have to say, this book helped me understand the nuances of Java. I actually became confident in Java after reading this book. Highly recommend this. The writing style is simple and easy to understand.
on January 15, 2008
This is THE book for preparing for the SCJP Certification. I passed the certification using only this book as preparation.
on June 10, 2007
I am reading this book and I think that it is an excellent book.
on January 12, 2007
Aquired this study guide in order to upgrade to v1.4 for Java. You do the chapters, work through the review questions at the end of each chapter, utilze the mock exam software on the included cd, obtain and work through a couple of other mock exams on the internet (javacertificate and javaranch) and you're good to go! Passed with 74% first time, took me 30 minutes to complete the certification examn, but take into consideration I've already passed my v1.2 3 years ago and have got 4 years of java programming. For beginners to the java programming language this book is as good as you're gonna get.
on January 9, 2007
it goes right into the essential of the Java code, if you don't know Java before, you should read some other books first.
on August 12, 2006
This book is split into two parts, part one for the programmer's exam, and part two for the developer's exam. After finishing part one, and taking the practice exams, I was completely prepared for the programmer's exam - it covered everything perfectly, and I passed the exam with a high grade.

The tone of the book is fairly light - the authors slip in some humor in several places, almost always staying relevant to the topic. It made it a more enjoyable read, while still staying at a professional level.

Part two discusses the developer's exam. It covers some of the basics of what you are expected to do to pass the exam, but due to the nature of the exam, it doesn't cover much actual programming. The exam itself expects you to be a well-rounded Java programmer, and part two of the book expects the same. There's simply not enough room in this book to teach you everything you need to know about networking, Swing, and some of the other advanced Java technologies you'll need. However, once you know these other technologies, this section of the book will be very useful in understanding how you will apply them for the developer's exam.
on August 5, 2006
This book was my primary study-guide for the test. I had never programmed in Java exhaustively nor familiar with any concepts before I started preparing for the SCJP test. I am a C/C++ programmer and would somehow just convert it in Java. Although the book is not meant for beginners, I still feel that a beginner can also use this book to clear any doubts. It is very well written, easy to read with great examples and practice tests. I highly recommend this book for both entry-level Java programmers as well as candidates planning on taking the SCJP exam.
on June 1, 2006
the book says it all, this is all you ever need to pass the 310-035 exam (although it's a bit obsolete now, better going for the java 5.0 exam). i buy this book together with khalid's book from amazon, they are both very good but has difference flavor. this one is easier to read and understand and full of humour, but covers only what you need to pass the exam. khalid's book on the other hand is very dense, it covers more than you need to pass the exam but it's good if you want to grasp the deep knowledge of java, not very easy to read though. if you just want to pass the exam and can choose only one book, this is definitely the best choice.
on May 1, 2006
I passed the certification exam about a week ago. This book and some mock exams from Java Ranch were the only resources that i used to pass the exam. The book is really good in terms of study material and preparation for the exam. The topics and extent of the topics covered in the book is exactly what you would need to pass the test. The book has good humour in terms of little jokes and funny lines which really helps take the stress out and make studying more fun. The mock test provided in the CD was good although they were the same as some of the questions right behing each of the chapters. I think that is one of the areas that they could improve on by providing like an adaptive test engine or atleast a pool of questions. The Khalid and Mughal book was another one that seemed to be quite good but i never read that book. i also intended to buy the SUN Mock exams kit but i did not have enough time to prepare. I studied for about 10 days or so and gave couple of exams on a sunday. The mock exams on Java Ranch were really good, they helped a lot in terms of difficulty and concept based questions.

I think this book is the Bible to passing the SCJP test. A big round of applause to the authors and publishers for this book.