Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on November 15, 2009
I bought this book to complement the Jang text in preparation for the RHCE. Strictly as a study guide for the RHCE, I would have some concerns. It is somewhat light on explaining theories and concepts before jumping into examples and steps to complete RHCT/RHCE tasks. In addition, there are a few areas (i.e., setting up an LDAP client) where the task includes some unnecessary steps. I got the impression that these extra steps were probably good practice or driven by internal policy, but I rather thought that should have been explained.

As far as an administrator's reference, I think the text does a really good job. It gives many useful examples, and covers a great deal of ground that is not included by the RHCT/RHCE exams, but is really important if you will actually be administering RedHat boxes.

I could not recommend this as the only source for study for the exams, but it is a great complement to the Jang text, providing additional examples and a slightly different take on how to accomplish some tasks. Ultimately, I'm glad I bought it, and will keep it around as a reference.
on October 29, 2009
Well, it's a new book on the topic.
I found it to be a lot more concise than Jang's. It actually gives you a lot more information than Jang's book (in terms of commands you need to be familiar with, examples and explaining basic principles), it just does so in approximately same number of pages.

Troubleshooting and exercise section are located at the end of the book and offer scenarios that one could really expect during the exam. There are few minor errors though (commands for creating sw RAID, for example), but it's something you can check on various other resources.

I put this book on #1 place for RHCE preparation. Complemented with Jang's book and official RedHat's "RHEL Deployment guide", there's nothing else you need in terms of textbooks to prepare for the exam.

Very recommended, high quality material. Good reference for everyday sysadmin work.
on February 8, 2010
I am very satisfied with this purchase. This book is great for RHCE preparation as well as for reference.
Content is very neatly organized into 30 chapters (no repetition of same content as most of books do) last chapter is dedicated for troubleshooting.

You won't feel bored while reading this book; concepts are explained with diagrams wherever necessary. All configurations are well explained in steps with appropriate example that makes it easy to remember & implement practically. The most unique feature of this book is easy browsing throughout the content, as the author dedicated a separate chapter to key configurations like mail server, DNS, NFS, Samba, SCP etc.

If you are looking for a RHEL book for RHCE/RHCT self-preparation as well as a good reference must give it a try.
on May 10, 2012
Wow! After reading all of the rave reviews and evaluating the table of contents I purchased an electronic copy. I was hoping to find a great tutorial / reference book for my Linux students.

On the bright side, I think the topics covered are exactly what needs to be covered in a Linux technical book. I like the brief descriptions of the commands and concepts. I like the concise examples and different inflections of the commands. I, like the author, think the students need to get the extended information from the man pages.

On the bad side though, there are too many explanations that are flat out wrong. I've got a hunch that the author ported a lot of the concepts from Korn shell and assumed they would be perfectly transportable to Bash. Yikes!

What always makes me wary of an author's expertise is their description of an exported variable as a "global" variable instead of a "passed" variable. That's a huge rookie mistake that will really confuse neophyte Linux users. Also, child processes not surviving the parent's termination. By default (depending on shell option settings), in Bash, the children will not receive a Hangup signal and will, indeed, survive. Those are just two of the many misconceptions I've found in the book.

In summary, I like the layout of the book, I like the flow of the book, and I like the author's writing style. I just can't get past the huge technical flaws.
on February 13, 2012
This is a great book and a must for the RHCE. Please note at the time of writing there are only 3 guides to the RHCE, I have only looked at this and Jang's and if anyone thinks that by reading 1 book they will pass... get real..

This book complements Jangs in that it goes deeper on the LVM partitioning and usage. There are occasional tools that are pointed to in this book that I cannot find elsewhere and my general Linux-fu has increased from reading this.

The biggest positive is the comprehensive additude to tackling the RHCE material. I have not taken the tests yet, but this is the most indepth book I have found so far.

The biggest negative is the layout/structure. While each topic is covered, it is not linked back to the exams enough and there should be practice questions reinforcing this book. A split of RHCE and RHCSA topics would be ideal here.

Essentially there are only 3 guides at the moment. This is one of them and one that you need to have. More then that it is a good read and will expand your linux knowledge. If you are going to analyse a book and bag it for minor spelling mistakes, get a life. If you want the RCHE, get this book :) (yes no RHCSA or RHCE at this stage 2/3 way through, I will update this review with my progress).
on March 31, 2014
This is a great tutorial for anything Red Hat. I was studying this when I interviewed for a job and I was given a technical test in the interview. The interviewer graded it immediately and I made the highest score. This book is so thorough!
on November 26, 2009
I've worked with Linux since 1994 and I've already seen a lot of books about Linux and some focused in
RHCE test. All of them are good books, but are very superficial stuff.

This book from Asghar Ghori is a very complete book directed to any people who need learn Linux, Red Hat Linux
in particular, and was so well written.Ghori knows exactly how hard is doing the RHCE test and he created a detailed book.

There are 31 chapter inside the book and all of them are enough to pass the exam. I'm right that even someone knows
very well Linux could learn a little with this material. Pay attention in the last chapter: the author show some
troubleshooting problems the you could see in the exam.

1) Overview
28) Network Installation
29) Web and Caching Proxy Servers
30) System and Network Security
31) System, Network and Security Troubleshooting

I hope I've helped. Good luck for all in the RHCE test.

Alexandre Borges
(Sun Microsystems Instructor, Symantec Instructor, Linux Magazine Brazil columnist and writer)
on October 27, 2010
I'm an experienced UNIX administrator (20 years) and have taught UNIX to entry level administrators, have written lesson plans and have mentored mid level admins. I got this book to help prepare for a RH certification. With a background in UNIX already, I figured I could pick up what I need very quickly. The book was rated high on Amazon's list, but honestly I don't know why. The table of contents looks to be exactly what is needed, and is what appealed to me. And there is some good content, but you have to be able to fill in a lot of blanks missing and figure the rest on your own. It's not a book for beginners, although the first few chapters lead you to believe it is. The reason why is that advanced topics or utilities are used without explaination when covering other topics. For example, when installing RHEL, "if you want to make this a DNS server, DHCP, or other network device, then choose the appropriate options" but there's no mention of why you would or would not want to use them.

Some very basic English fundamentals are missing. New words like "Configurator" are introduced and used liberally. It sounds like George Bush! I don't "configurate" software, I configure it. The proper term is "Configuration Utility or Tool or GUI", but not "configurator". Also, in referring to issuing commands, the language is "do an ls/cat and see the results". Also poor English. It looks like some very basic editing mistakes were made. There is another section discussing how to run the X graphical utilities. He gives commands on setting it manually, and then says, "or you can run the admin utility", then takes the next few pages to explain the utility, but never says how to bring up the utility!

I'm only about 1/3 through the book, but as I read, seeing past errors which should have easily been caught by editors are making it difficult. Its about $40, but I believe there's got to be another book out there worth the $40. I'm going to continue to use it (I can't afford another book), but I'm disappointed with it for sure.
on December 4, 2010
I wanted a RHCT book and wanted something that wasn't more than 5 years old. Tempted to buy the Mike Jang book but it was a few years older than what I was looking for.This book was a good buy. The author explains concepts in a manner that is easy to understand and follow. I didn't know much about scripting before but with the help of this book I learned how to create small scripts. The author also does a good job of keeping your interest. The only thing I didn't care for was the way he would talk about one subject and reference another chapter in parts of the book. I guess he did that to keep you on track and if you wanted to look more into detail then you could go to that chapter to take a deeper look? Either way good book for the price.
on July 12, 2015
My review is in regards not the book itself but the kindle app that this book offers. I am very disappointed that I am unable to zoom in this book and therefore I am unable to see the graphics that are depicted in the book for my class. This makes it extremely frustrating that I purchase a book and can't see the entire contents. Maybe I should invest in a Nook instead.