Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
asked by A. dyrwal on March 2, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 30 answers
A
B. Weaver answered on March 7, 2010
Comment | 51 of 60 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
EJ answered on March 7, 2010
Comment | 60 of 74 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Day wasn't a little nine-year-old when he impregnated Henrietta; he was nineteen. He was responsible for his victimization of Henrietta and he was responsible for his essential abandonment of their children after Henrietta's death. To me, it is racist to claim black men aren't responsible for their own voluntary acts--because of slavery, segregation, etc.--and helpful to those who would see them as inferior in kind to other men.
Morganalee answered on March 9, 2010
Comment | 52 of 65 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Morganalee answered on March 6, 2010
Comment | 51 of 68 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Ms. Steppe,

I am sorry, I truly did not mean to offend. I had understood that in some states, particularly Southern states, the legal age of consent was younger than that of many Northern states.
(embarrassed) M.B.
Maria Beadnell answered on April 5, 2010
Comment | 10 of 10 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Henrietta was under age. I believe this is legally true even in the South. Even if 14 is an age of consent in some states, I do not believe a 14 year old can "consent" to sex with an adult.
Maria Beadnell answered on April 1, 2010
Comment | 17 of 21 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I don't know how much this would have been enforced in Virginia in the mid 1930s.

Due to the circumstances of Henrietta's life and her living conditions and minimal adult supervision what occurred was inevitable. Fron what I read, Henrietta loved Day very much.

What do you mean "even in the south"? As a Tennessean, I take offense to that statement. Ms. Beadnell.

What happened to Henrietta and Day could have happened anywhere.
Onie Wheeler answered on April 2, 2010
Comment | 15 of 18 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You are correct in saying that it is racist to claim black men aren't responsible for their own voluntary acts--because of slavery, segregation, etc. Do note however that B. Weaver didn't say that. In essence, what Weaver says is that the aforementioned circumstances are mitigating...for anybody. It's you pointing out that Day is black.
soda can answered on June 4, 2010
Comment | 15 of 18 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thank you E. Jacobs for your thoughtful, compassionate discussion of HPV and cervical cancer. May I also add that HPV strains can be contracted by a married woman who was a virgin at marriage if her husband was not. There should no blame to be attached to cervical cancer. As a recent survivor of this disease I can tell you that while it's getting better, there is still a stigma of promiscuity attached.
L. A. Robinson answered on August 9, 2010
Comment | 12 of 14 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I marvel that Day lived well into his 80s while carrying the pathogenic STDs he acquired and shared through the years. He must've had the robust genes/blood of the family.
T. Schack answered on July 13, 2010
Comment | 7 of 8 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›

See all questions about this product