5.0 out of 5 stars The most underrated speaker in the HT setup
Published on February 18, 2010 by Darius Jackson

3.0 out of 5 stars Cerwin Vega VE-5C 2 Way Home speakers
I bought these as my tweeters on my existing CLS 215 keeps blowing. It was cheaper to buy one of these boxces than to change the tweeter. I bought 4 and while they are satisfactory the tweeter is a bit low. However, they appear to handle the power better, but time will tell. The boxes are no good for base, there is none at all. Very good midrange.

I reccommend...
Published 14 months ago by Leslie Latchman

5.0 out of 5 stars The most underrated speaker in the HT setup, February 18, 2010
Darius Jackson "Action Jackson" (Rocklin, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cerwin-Vega VE-5C 2-Way Home Audio Center Channel Speaker (Each, Black) (Electronics)
You have the big front/lefts, you have the big 15" subwoofer that rattles the street, you have the 25 different surrounds all mounted on your wall, you have the 1000watt+ HT receiver tuned just perfectly. You think you got it all figured out... until you skimp on the center channel. Now your left scratching your head wondering why the voices are low, action scenes are insanely blaring, and theres just an overall unevenness in all your movies.

If you find yourself turning up the movie/show during dialog and then turning it down during action, It's time to get a real center, dump the satellite speakers that pretends it can accurately reproduce movie soundtrack and voice dialog, most of them fail.

Insert 70 dollar Cerwin Vega ve-5c. This speaker brought out the sounds in movies I knew were getting drowned out by the incompetence of a satellite speaker. Although the center doesn't handle bass, for giggles I set it to large and watched some intense action scenes from star trek/transformers/saving private ryan, and the amount of clean, snappy bass that this 1 speaker produced was quite impressive. It has great excursion and can seriously move some air when cranked up.

Oh yeah, thats another thing - this baby is loud, but thats a Cerwin Vega trademark. While some audiophiles always ding Cerwin Vega for being "too loud/bassy" I find this to be perfect because it allows more flexibility in tuning. This speaker eats up anything you throw at it at beyond deafening sound levels, and it does it with authority. I would really recommend this center for the price... 70 dollars is nothing, and you get outstanding value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Gem Of The Home Theater, January 19, 2010
If you search for center channel reviews chances are that you will come up with Bose, Polk, Sony before you find any mention of Cerwin Verga and yet this is what I consider the hidden gem of the home theater. From craftsmanship to it's sound reproduction this speaker is second to none in my opinion. I have owned Bose, Polk and Sony and none of them come close to this Vega in accurate sound reproduction when it comes to movie dialogue. It is inexpensive when ordered directly from amazon. The size is right too making it possible to fit in tight spaces without sacrificing sound quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal for the price., February 2, 2010
If you are looking for a best bang for your buck deal this will be a great find for you. Has good weight to it nice and is very sturdy. The highs are not very very crisp but do sound pretty good. Since a center channel is mostly for dialog this will not hurt your sound quality anyway. You need a center that can play the right bass tones in voices that is loud enough to keep up with your other surround sound speakers. I have 2 three way Sony floor standing speakers piggy backed meaning running with two satellite speakers for my front channels. This is a total of 12 speakers for my fronts. I have two three ways for my rear and a 12" Sub that holds the low end very well. I bought this to replace my center channel that just could not keep up during my movies. I did not want to spend a ton since I have spent quite a bit already. This was a great buy and I would recommend it to anyone. This center truly made the difference in my movies making my system sound pretty close to theater loud. I only have to turn my unit up to about 1/3 of the way up to get you jumping out of your seat and if it's music you will have ringing in your ears about 1 hour in. This speaker is exactly what I thought it would be a little workhorse that brought good power back to the dialogue of my system. If you bought a satellite system this is a great upgrade to round out the system. A satellite center channel is not going to give you what you need they are too small to reproduce room filling voices for music or movies. Two things are always needed first when buying a home theater system. 1st a good or decent center 2nd good or decent sub without those your system will always sound weak. If you do have a satellite center you can try conecting both I did now I have the very crisp highes and rich mid to lows. This Vega would do fine on it's own though but if you have the set up for it why not use both right. BE WARNED THIS IS BIGGER THAN IT LOOKS!!! check the measurements given they are correct.
You can check out the pics I posted to better understand my setup.

My system....
Samsung 52" 120hz LCD
Technics 500w Receiver (old school but still bumps all night)
Harmon Kardon 3 way Satellites (front,center,and rear)
Cerwin Vega 3 way center (being reviewed here)
Sony 3 way 8" floor standing speakers also in front
Harmon Kardon 12" down fire subwoofer (room shaker for real)
PS3

5.0 out of 5 stars completely lifelike, June 26, 2011
I replaced my old center channel speaker with this one and am amazed at the quality of the sound. Both voice and music are like having the performers right in the room with you.
For the price you can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sounding centre channel speaker, February 13, 2013
I did a lot of research before choosing this speaker. Despite audiophiles not recommending it, I chose it because of its compact size, the enthusiastic videos online showing it's base capabilities, and the positive reviews on Amazon.com. The speaker is replacing the centre channel of my Fluance AVHTB+ sound system. I needed a small centre channel and this Cerwin Vega met the size requirements. It's powered by my Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver. I immediately noticed an improvement in vocals and base after hooking it up. Vocals were clearer and the base was not muddy like the Fluance centre channel. After running the Audyssey speaker setup on my Onkyo and watching various DVD's, I am very pleased with its sound quality. The enclosure is well build, heavy, and the finish looks identical to my Fluance enclosures. My only complaint is the box terminals, which are spring clips. I think Cerwin Vega should have used all metal speaker terminals. Overall, I highly recommend this as a quality entry-level speaker for those who aren't audiophiles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cerwin-Vega Rocks!, January 9, 2010
After much searching and researching online while trying to decide what type and brand of speakers to use for home theater use, I finally decided I didn't want to cut holes in the walls and or ceiling and selected this center channel speaker along with two pair of the Cerwin-Vega Ve-5 series bookshelf speakers for surrounds (side and rear) based on the specifications and the fact that I already had a pair of Cerwin-Vega D-9 floor speakers I wanted to use for front left and right. I used hooks and eyes to hang the speakers in the appropriate places as recommended by the manual that came with my new Denon AVR-790 receiver. I'm convinced it would be hard to buy a better speaker without paying much more money for it and most of us would mot be able to hear the difference between the two. I spend more time listening to music than watching movies and the overall sound quality of my Cerwin-Vega system is incredible for both. For me, this is the perfect center channel speaker. Your results will vary depending on the qualities of the rest of your system. Personally, I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic center, loud as you want it, the whole VE series is great, August 15, 2009
I have this paired to the Dayton Audio 150 watt amplifierDayton APA150 150W Power Amplifier, which allows for a full 150 watts to one channel. It's a great pairing and I can never crank it past 50% or I'll go deaf. Even at high volumes though the sound is clean and crystal clear and precise. You won't believe the bass performance either, it will rattle my Wii sitting next to it right off the shelf during a few select movies (it did this during Watchmen on Bluray).

My full system is: VE 15" 3-ways as the front speakers with the 800 watt CV pro amp, VE-5M bookshelf speakers for the surrounds using an AudioSource amp, and two Dayton Audio 12" Subwoofers. It's a killer system that shakes the foundation, and since all the VE series use the same tweeter, the speakers are voice matched, blending well. (Note: I'm using the analog outs on my HTPC straight to the amplifiers, I don't have a reciever)

4.0 out of 5 stars good sound, good quality, January 28, 2011
It has good sound and quality for it's size. It handles high volume well and looks good. i think for the money it is a good value for the quality that you get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always a favorite, July 17, 2009
I bought a box surround sound about five years ago,junk. I've been saving up for new stuff and the center speaker was the last thing to buy. The first stereo system I bought back in the seventies, my speakers were Cerwin-Vega, best I've ever owned. Never thought I could afford them again until I saw them on Amazon, it was cheaper than direct from the company. I love it. The sound is so clear and crisp, don't have to have the sound turned up so loud now to hear the voices. What a difference, and the price was great too!

5.0 out of 5 stars buy it you wont rgret it, December 16, 2013
What can I say cerwin vega did great. Always do. For price can't beat it. I prefer klipsch center channel overall but you can never go wrong with this product would buy again any day