Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now DOTD

on February 7, 2014
Once again Cesar hits another one out of the park. I need Cesar,s pack to visit my pack and whip them into shape. One day I hope to be able to afford for Cesar to come and train ME...I know I am the problem with my "PACK"
on May 26, 2012
What can I really say? I mean, if anyone really used the techniques then they will have a well behaved dog.The result will show in itself. I began a relationship with a puppy over a year ago, and wanted to raise him right. I started off with Ceasar's "Raise the perfect puppy" and then went onto this book for training (training not behavior), and the result is just amazing! My dog and I have a great relationship, I can bring him anywhere, I can have complete strangers ask him to do tricks,He never runs after a squirrel, or pulls on his leash, everyone we meet is impressed by his calm nature and THIS all with a breed that gets a bad rap. Thank you so much to Ceasar for teaching me to communicate with my dog, and helping me to understand my dogs communication to me and his needs. My dog says Thanks in his own way too.
Basically the book is set up like this; Ceasar goes over many different training variations with some of the most well respected and consistent trainers in the field, some of them being pioneers of dog training, after reading the book you can choose what techniques and path will work for you. All of it is easy and only covers basic obedience like "come" "sit" "stay" but don't be fooled by the simplicity, these can all be a literal life saver for your dog and "sit" can be more underrated than most would think, and they all can be used to branch off into more complex training patterns. This is where to start.
The only negative I would give the book is that Ceasar caved into the popular training methods that have been popular but not effective in results. There is a false dichotomy in the dog training world between the falsely labelled "positive" training and " dominance" training, both with misleading names. Dog training needs to be continually advanced for the sake of the dog human relationship.
on October 27, 2012
I wish I had this book, and his others, and seen his shows long before I ever owned a dog. I bought this book for my puppy, but it opened up a whole new word for our 9 year old dog as well. We really get what it means to care for dogs, to be responsible for giving them a full life of discipline, consistency, exercise and love. Our dogs are happy animals, and our relationships with them are so much deeper and stronger than they could have ever been without Cesar's wisdom and experience. This book is not about making a dog do tricks, but about why it is important to have a well balanced, happy dog, first. Tricks are bonus- a dog that comes when you call, that stays calm in an elevated stress environment, a dog you can enjoy walking without being pulled across the countryside- a dog that is socialized and well-mannered- that is what most people really want. A dog like that wants to "work" for you- that is the kind of dog that enjoys the mental work of learning fun extras. Thank you Cesar- your work is so relevant and you really could save the world one dog owner at a time! Good, interesting writing, complex ideas made easy to understand. A necessary background from a wide range of trainers with different belief systems all make for a thoughtful and necessary "owner's manual" for dogs. I also strongly recommend his book about raising a puppy into adulthood, "How to Raise the Perfect Dog: Through Puppyhood and Beyond"
on March 12, 2014
This is a great gift for a friend who is studying up on how to train a dog - before she rescues one! She said this is a great guide she will refer to for many years to come.

Cesar is awesome!
on March 7, 2015
Important information of all dog owners. Helped us to understand the issues we were having with our High energy rescue dog who had been abandoned twice because people did not understand how to help her.
on January 13, 2011
An interesting read, but you need to have watched some of his shows or DVDs beforehand to understand what Cesar is writing about in the first chapters. Not really quite what I expected.
on June 7, 2013
So theres many professional animal/dog trainers out there that want to talk there smack on Cesars methods every chance they get. You may have seen youtube comments, amazon comments etc. Well in this book...many well known animal behaviorists, animal trainers, dog trainers, people trainers you name it all have their say about their theories. Although all these people might disagree with each other they all dont stick to one way of doing things. From this book you can learn how to teach your dog basic obedience, using a clicker, and reinforcement methods. Sometimes clickers dont do the job so they go over that too. Cesar to me is awesome he has definitely made a positive impact out there. As he says, hire a pro if your having issues, dont copy what he does, you could be making it worse. Most of all you can learn about what NOT to do. This book will definitely give you a general understanding about dog training. Some trainers dont do rehabilitation, some dont do obedience training, some dont train to do tricks, hunt etc so u get a well rounded view of things you can do
on April 6, 2014
Cesar's books are always just what we need. I am very pleased with the information and how well the dogs and puppies respond. The rescue thanks you!
on March 10, 2013
I have read several of Cesar's books and enjoyed them all. They are all fun, quick, easy reads. This one has a lot of different techniques for training mostly basic commands from dog trainers famous and not so well known. Several of them are trainers or researchers in animal psychology that includes dogs and other animals, whereas Cesar is known more for his rehabilitation of dogs.

Cesar obviously has a gift for getting dogs to do his will. I started reading his books in hopes of resolving a couple of issues with my Miniature Schnauzer. So far, even with all of Cesar's information I have made little progress. He is a sweet wonderful dog in many ways, but he may not be adaptable to our life style. (We got him as an adult dog. His previous owner may have given up on him.for the same reasons?) I'm afraid I may need Cesar himself. His books are fun and informative but for serious problems it may take his gift!
on January 22, 2015
Sent this book to by mom to help with her new Irish wolfhound pup. She sat and read it immediately! Said it was very helpful