on January 31, 2010
Size Name: 1 PackVerified Purchase
This stuff is the BEST and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg!! No perfumes or anything that can irritate your skin.

Just simple, plain, no-nonsense moisturizer--for use on your face and all over.

A few years' ago, my eyes started burning and tearing after a long day of wearing makeup at work. It got worse, I couldn't wait to get home and wash my face. It took a while, but I finally figured out it wasn't just the makeup, it was the moisturizer I was using also.

Long-story-short, my cousin introduced me to this. I buy the biggest tub they offer (20 oz). I use it under makeup in the a.m., my arms and elbows; and at night after washing my face (they make a cleanser also, if you're interested).

You can spend ridiculous amounts of $$ on moisturizers; believe me, I've done it. No more. This stuff works the best for me; I won't use anything else.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Size Name: 1 Pack
Our baby daughter started suffering from either dermatitis or eczema a year ago - just a red bumpy rash - and unscented Dove and Cetaphil cream were recommended by the pediatrician, pediatric dermatologist, and an allergist. Unfortunately, they didn't know that Dove had changed the product formula and that Cetaphil contained sweet almond oil. We really wish they had - it would have saved her a year of terrible itching and rashes.

As background, our daughter was diagnosed with a milk allergy after we switched her to Alimentum and within a day or two her skin cleared up significantly. With consistent use of Dove in warm daily baths, hydrocortisone 1% cream on spots and Cetaphil cream, she soon had mild eczema. However, even though her skin was clearer, some red bumps and frantic itching continued, to the point that she was scratching areas so feverishly she was digging into the skin and bleeding. Nothing helped - not even antihistamines. Dairy had been eliminated so there had to be a secondary cause.

Quite by accident, I used her Dove soap two weeks ago. And I too started itching like crazy, even though I had used it without problems years ago. And it turns out I wasn't alone - even unscented Dove's own website addresses this issue. After some research, it turns out that in 2007 Unilever quietly changed its formulation, combining unscented Dove (recommended for years by allergists and dermatologists) and Dove for sensitive skin, into one product, unscented Dove for Sensitive skin. They changed the surfactant base and the ingredients for the whole line. In other words, the product that doctors have been recommending for years for eczema is no longer the same.

Another interesting thing is that Dove uses tallow - an animal byproduct that is often derived from cattle. This may cause a reaction in people with milk allergies.

Taking this one step further, a recent study suggests that children with milk allergies may have a higher risk of peanut sensitivity (my daughter does). Whether this can translate into a true peanut allergy is not known yet, it will take several years of research with children to find this out. One step further - some people with peanut allergies are also allergic to tree nuts. The milk -peanut - tree nut sensitivities (and sometimes allergies) can coexist.

What does all this mean? That the very mix of products recommended by three doctors - Dove and Cetaphil - may have been a trigger for her second bout with eczema. This is the multi-step process that finally worked to clear it up:

#1 - Eczema is often triggered by a milk allergy. Avoid all dairy, cheese and yogurt. Also, avoid milk byproducts such as whey (in white bread for example) or foods that might contain milk proteins such as chocolate. We saw huge improvement with Similac Expert Care Alimentum Hypoallergenic Nutrition Formula, Powder, With Iron, 1-Pound (454 g) (Pack of 6) and insurance may cover it.

#2 - If you're using Dove soap for eczema and itching continues, try another product. We are having success with Johnson's Baby Natural Head-to-toe baby wash for both hair and body; other moms like California baby. Our daughter's frantic itching stopped completely overnight after we stopped using Dove.

#3 - If you're using Cetaphil cream as a moisturizer, take note of the ingredients, especially if there's a chance of allergies to tree nuts. It contains sweet almond oil and we found that this was causing small red non-itchy bumps in both our twins. We are now using Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream and it's lightweight and not greasy. Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment is also a good barrier moisturizer.

#4 - Change detergents. Even Dreft has fragrance. Several mom friends have found that All Free and Clear makes their babies itchy. I didn't notice a change in my daughter's itching but have switched to Tide Free & Gentle. I did notice a change in my own hands, for the better (they used to get red and cracked doing laundry).

#5 - always have a layer of 100% cotton next to the skin, especially with fleece clothing.

#6 - change crib sheets and vacuum once a week as dust could be a trigger (it wasn't for us).

#7 - Hydrocortizone 1% (OTC) on spots plus a thin layer of moisturizer right after a warm daily bath still remains the best treatment. On tougher spots, apply twice a day.

With the above suggestions our daughters' skin has cleared up almost completely. We are truly astonished as the ingredients in the very products recommended by her three doctors - Dove and Cetaphil cream - by all appearances were causing her rash and itching during the last year. She's like a new baby, her skin is glowing and she's finally smiling and peaceful.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 11, 2013
Size Name: 1 Pack
I purchased this recently, not here but at WMart, a little less expensive than here. But what amazes me is that for years, I am 66, I have spent lots and lots of money on expensive facial moisturizers. And was going through a period of trying out new ones since I was having a continuing problem with flaking on one side of my face and around my eye. I tired Anew, for eyes, and liked it, but it didn't correct the flaking. I tired Oil of Olay, I have tried some stuff I bought on a cruise that cost me about $110. a jar. And then I decided I needed a moisturizer for my legs, and when I saw this was good for your face also, I tried it on my problem area, well no one was more shocked than me that the next day the flaking was gone. WT heck, this is for sensitive skin and non-comedogenic, and cost $11, a jar. Never again will I bother with anything else.
on February 21, 2012
Size Name: 1 Pack
I had been using CeraVe lotion for almost two years. Friends told me that Cetaphil was better so I checked with my dermatologist. She said she personally liked it better and it really helped her especially during the winter. The practice where she worked had both of these in stock so I bought my first jar of Cetaphil - 16 oz. for $12. Thinking that I could buy following jars for less, I checked on Amazon.com but was suprised to learn that it cost more. Usually that's not the case with Amazon.
One other comment - my dermatologist told me to be sure and buy the cream....not the lotion (same thing goes for CeraVe.) She said the lotion has more water in it, most of which evaporates after application...which can dry the skin a bit when compared to the cream. Makes sense to me.
on January 19, 2015
Size Name: 1 Pack
PARABENS have been added to this product. Is going in the trash today and am looking for a replacement.

Update: I contacted Galderma regarding the "adding" of parabens to their product. This is their response:

"Although, the label of Cetaphil® Moisturizing Cream has changed, the ingredients and manufacturing processes have not. The changes made to the Cetaphil® Moisturizing Cream label were made to reflect current information from Galderma's ingredient vendors and the International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients (INCI). Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream has always had the parabens in it.

Five Cetaphil® products contain parabens:
* Cetaphil® Therapeutic Hand Cream
* Cetaphil® Moisturizing Cream
* Cetaphil® Gentle Skin Cleanser"
* Cetaphil® Daily Facial Cleanser
* Cetaphil® Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 50"
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 15, 2014
Size Name: 1 Pack
I have used so many moisturizers, but always found my skin getting dry after few hours. I have tried, Aveeno, lubiderm, vaseline, what not. But after I tried cetaphil cream, there is no going back. Summer or winter, I use this for my extremely dry skin, both face and body. Just use a little for the face, very little. Even the body does not need a lot, a little goes a long way. My skin stays soft and moist all day. I use this on my kids too, and it works like magic. My kids developed a rough dry patch of skin, on the thighs and on the shoulder, after using cetaphil cream for 2 days, the skin was back to normal. Be sure to buy the cream and not the lotion. The lotion is not as effective as the cream. I will always buy this. If you have a costco membership, you get the 20z bottle, for quite less there. I hope they dont discontinue or change the formula, am sure I would never find any other moisturizer as good.
on June 24, 2011
Size Name: 1 Pack
I bought this product based on a recommendation by my pediatrician, as well as recommendations from friends, for my daughter's dry skin/eczema. This product did not help her and caused her much discomfort. We later learned she is allergic to almonds and this product contains Almond Oil, to which she reacted negatively.
I gave it 3 stars because I know for some people, it works great, but the fact that it contains a highly known allergen makes it risky in my opinion. We switched to California Baby, and it worked much better for us.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 27, 2009
Size Name: 1 Pack
This is a great product. my skin condition requires daily covering from head to toe. This does the job. However the suppler on Amazon is overpriced. Shop around.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 5, 2011
Size Name: 1 PackVerified Purchase
Cetaphil was recommended by my dermatologist. I'm sure this is a very good product for most people with dry skin. It contains almonds, however, and I could not use it. I have since discovered Clinique Deep Comfort Body Butter. It is also available in a large jar and is reasonably price.
on December 27, 2011
I get extremely dry, itchy skin since I live in New England and am often outside in harsh weather. I have all kinds of lotion, and for some reason never tried Cetaphil. I bought this and it's now the only thing I use--it's that good! In addition to dry, my skin is very sensitive and allergy prone as well. I've used Aveeno with some success, since it's unscented, as is this. I found the main advantage in this as opposed to Aveeno is it's extremely moisturizing. I smooth it on in the morning and find that at the end of the day my skin is still very soft and not at all dry. It's the longest-lasting lotion I've ever tried. It's not at all too heavy though, or sticky and it absorbs well. It's nice because I can use it all the time without getting tired of an overpowering scent. I would highly recommend this to anyone, from people who just want good lotion to those with skin conditions (e.g. psoriasis, eczema).